I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment so far

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 15:26
Hi all just a quick up date on OH progress. First hormone injection a couple of weeks ago . Had a meeting with Oncologist yesterday now got a date to start chemo, first session next Friday . Just wanted to ask for any advise with regards the chemo side effects, last time he had chemo in tablet form for bowel cancer and not too many SE but expecting to lose hair this time, they did mention cold cap but Steve didn't seem too keen. We have a weeks holiday booked in late September and we tried to work dates around this but Steve just wanted to start chemo asap. Do you find you normally feel worse first week after treatment? Oh and by the way PSA had come down to 8 from 54 on diagnosis.

Best wishes to everyone
Debbie x
User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 16:32

Hi Debbie,
Assuming you're talking about a three-week cycle, the patient (judging from my OH's experience) feels a bit washed out and low for the first few days (Days 3-5 in particular) and starts to perk up a bit by the end of the first week. But this is just the point at which his immune levels start to fall, and Days 5-10 (or possibly 7-14) are the days when he needs to be extra careful about avoiding infections, and ready to seek urgent help if his temperature goes up. Then by the third week, he's building up to normal again and his immune system is stronger.

So the best time to be away, if you can manage it, is in the week or 10 days before an infusion is due. Glad to hear that Steve is doing well - you're right to make the most of any opportunity to have a holiday.

Marje

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 17:05

Did anyone mention pineapple to you? Chop up fresh pineapple into chunks and then freeze - sucking on frozen pineapple seems to protect the taste buds from the worst of chemo damage, helps prevent the awful metallic taste and reduces the risk of mouth ulcers. If he doesn't like pineapple, normal ice cubes are better than nothing.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 21:28
Hi Debbie
Great to see an already decline in psa, this is very positive. My OH tolerated the docetaxel well with regards to the side effects. The things that bothered him the most were the tiredness and horrid taste in his mouth which took away his enjoyment of food.
I went a bit mad and obsesive with cleanliness of our house, it drove the kids mad!! Maybe a bit unecessary but it was lovely to have a nice clean house, made me feel better.
Usually by 3rd week post treatment bob felt a bit more normal so would plan a couple of days away/day out. It gave him something nice to look forward to.
Wishing your OH well with his treatment.
Take care
Lesley xx
User
Posted 14 Jul 2016 at 16:23
Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom. We will take them all on board and keep you updated on Steves treatment.

Just like to wish you all well on your own personal journeys.

Debbie x