I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice for 1st appointment

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 07:46
I am 49 years old and after a number of blood tests which my gp ordered as I was experiencing dizziness on standing (a problem that has since gone away) my psa came back as 13.3. I have since had a second test which was 12.6. The gp did a digital exam and said the prostate felt normal for my age. It may be unrelated but I have had episodes of what I have thought of as bladder sensitivity for at least 15 years. This includes needing to go frequently and sometimes feeling I need to go again after having just had a peer. No hesitancy though. My question is what questions should I ask the urologist? I am quite worried and hoping it prostatitis
User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 10:27

Ask whether s/he recommends a biopsy followed by an MRI scan a couple of weeks later or prefers to do the scan first followed by a biopsy. That PSA is too high to go for a 'wait and see next year' approach.

The 15 year old problem may be unrelated and may not even be prostatitis. My husband had similar difficulties from the age of 35 and it was diagnosed as a problem with his bladder sphincter. They have assured us time and time again that this had nothing to do wit the prostate cancer diagnosis at age 50 - just bad luck. Having said that, his PSA was only 3.1 so you really need reassurance that the urologist is going to do all necessary tests rather than tell you that you're too young.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 12:49

Hi welcome to our group, write everything down you want to ask my question would include when i would be having a biopsy not if and mri scan do not let anyone fob you of with a wait and see attitude , also take someone with you as they will remember things you forget. Andy

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 15:06

Hi Benji
My PSA was 15 at the age of 47. I was referred to a urologist. I had no symptoms at all really. Mild occasional ED. Luckily they decided on scan and then biopsy next day , as I have full prostate cancer and have had radical prostatectomy. They may fob you off with 6 weeks of antibiotics in case it's prostatitis, but I would ask for the scan and biopsy if I were you. Good luck

User
Posted 21 Jul 2016 at 11:57

Without sounding smug , we have all been in the situation you find yourself in now. The more anxious members ( including myself ) have been down the prostate risk calculators route mate. It really is best not to look , and try not to fret. The calculators normally need to be used by health professionals etc. And at the end of the day , looking at them won't change the results of the actual investigations !!!
Good luck

User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 10:51
I found the diagnostic stage the worst. Having the biopsy and scans was necessary for my diagnosis but waiting for the results was a scary time. Once my diagnosis and staging was established I knew what my options were.

It is just a matter of being patient and listening to the valuable advice.

My thoughts are with you.We have all been where you are and there a plenty of us to give you advice. Take care.

Edited by member 24 Jul 2016 at 11:50  | Reason: Not specified

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 13:21

Waiting is the worst thing. Be aware that biopsy/MRI results can take several weeks, as they typically go to a Multi Disciplinary Team first.

Alan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 10:27

Ask whether s/he recommends a biopsy followed by an MRI scan a couple of weeks later or prefers to do the scan first followed by a biopsy. That PSA is too high to go for a 'wait and see next year' approach.

The 15 year old problem may be unrelated and may not even be prostatitis. My husband had similar difficulties from the age of 35 and it was diagnosed as a problem with his bladder sphincter. They have assured us time and time again that this had nothing to do wit the prostate cancer diagnosis at age 50 - just bad luck. Having said that, his PSA was only 3.1 so you really need reassurance that the urologist is going to do all necessary tests rather than tell you that you're too young.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 12:49

Hi welcome to our group, write everything down you want to ask my question would include when i would be having a biopsy not if and mri scan do not let anyone fob you of with a wait and see attitude , also take someone with you as they will remember things you forget. Andy

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 15:06

Hi Benji
My PSA was 15 at the age of 47. I was referred to a urologist. I had no symptoms at all really. Mild occasional ED. Luckily they decided on scan and then biopsy next day , as I have full prostate cancer and have had radical prostatectomy. They may fob you off with 6 weeks of antibiotics in case it's prostatitis, but I would ask for the scan and biopsy if I were you. Good luck

User
Posted 21 Jul 2016 at 11:42
Thanks everyone for your replies you have all been really helpful. I had the appointment with the urologist today and he has booked me for an MRI and will then be doing a biopsy. He thought the prostate felt a bit too firm for someone of my age and thought I probably don't have prostatitis so all in all a bit worrying but we will see. Do any of you have knowledge of or experience with the university of Texas prostate cancer risk calculator?
User
Posted 21 Jul 2016 at 11:57

Without sounding smug , we have all been in the situation you find yourself in now. The more anxious members ( including myself ) have been down the prostate risk calculators route mate. It really is best not to look , and try not to fret. The calculators normally need to be used by health professionals etc. And at the end of the day , looking at them won't change the results of the actual investigations !!!
Good luck

User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 10:51
I found the diagnostic stage the worst. Having the biopsy and scans was necessary for my diagnosis but waiting for the results was a scary time. Once my diagnosis and staging was established I knew what my options were.

It is just a matter of being patient and listening to the valuable advice.

My thoughts are with you.We have all been where you are and there a plenty of us to give you advice. Take care.

Edited by member 24 Jul 2016 at 11:50  | Reason: Not specified

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 13:21

Waiting is the worst thing. Be aware that biopsy/MRI results can take several weeks, as they typically go to a Multi Disciplinary Team first.

Alan