I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment ended and outlook if hopeful

User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 12:42

I haven't posted for a while because my 55 year old brother was having treatment for his locally advanced PCa.  His PSA on diagnosis in April 2015 was 172 (yes, high!), gleason 7 but no signs of spread other than locally. We were devastated at the time and preparing ourselves for the worst. He's just finished radiotherapy and before that had chemo (he had to stop after 5 cycles because of side-effects) and of course continues on HT.  He had some side-effects from his treatment including fatigue and some peripheral neuropathy but these are improving.  He has increased urination (between 3-5 times a night) but has been told he'll have to live with this and says he can accept it.

We had a post-treatment meeting with his oncologist earlier in the week and she reported a PSA of 0.02, told him she was very happy with how he'd responded to treatment and now only wants to see him once every 6 months.  He'll continue on HT but can come off it after 3 years if his PSA stays down.  She was even talking in terms of him being possibly cured, though he'll have to live with being monitored and be prepared for possible PSA rises in future.  But considering that on diagnosis he was given between 2-10 years and told it was incurable, we're all incredibly pleased.  

I would like to think that his story so far will offer some hope to those with a similar diagnosis and I can't speak highly enough of our amazing NHS.  

User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 13:37

Really pleased for your Brother on his latest PSA results, may it long continue. Andy

User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 15:30

Thank you for the update.

Words such as yours are a real boost and show that the treatments can and do work.

Thank you for posting and good luck to your brother for his future

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 16:08

Not only excellent news on treatment success but also the hope it will give to others. I've lived with constant monitoring and nighttime frequency of which medication helps, for many years. I see them as a small price to pay for at least controlling PCa.

Long may the success continue.

Ray

User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 21:29

Great news Bigsis, you can go and celebrate with your brother then get on with your lives knowing that things are on the up.

This is so good for everyone to know that some of the treatments work nice and quickly, except for the being on HT now but the news is good, roll on three years to the end

Cheers Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 22 Jul 2016 at 23:37
This is great news, thanks so much for sharing with us. There are things that can be done about the constant night time visits, a urologist would be best to consult I would think.

Love

Devonmaid

User
Posted 23 Jul 2016 at 07:30
Hi BigSis,

I have an older sister who has so supportive to me through my travels with PCa. She took me for my biopsy and fiducial markings when my wife wasn't able to do so. So I hope that your brother is appreciative of your concerns and the help that you've given him. My elder brother though has chosen to completely distance himself from my situation and won't even have a Psa test.

I'm really pleased for your brother's results and hope that they stay low for ever. It's always good to have positive news.

John

User
Posted 23 Jul 2016 at 08:53

What an uplifting report!  Celebrate and enjoy!

flexi

User
Posted 23 Jul 2016 at 09:55

hi big sis, really good news for all

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 12:00

Great news and a positive outcome. Little brother should be so pleased.