Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice/Opinios

User
Posted 24 Jul 2016 at 09:46

Hi,

I am 64 years old company executive; diagnosed with carcinoma prostate 5 months back(March.2016). Glyson score 7(3+4). Pet scan result shows intense PSMA in the enlarged prostate gland and moderately PSMA mildly sclerotic lesion in D!@ vertebra and right public bone and nowhere else in the body. Bone scan also confirms the above with rest of the skeletal system appears normal. I am feeling slight discomfort in my hip area- only when getting up from bed or from chair. There after nothing. 

I have started taking hormone therapy injunction(ELIGARD) + Zorrent inj in every 3 months. My highest PSA level before starting the treatment was 39 ng/ml. Now it has come down to 0.2 ng/ml. My doctors have advised me to continue with hormone therapy treatment. Radiation therapy was planned earlier but doctors postponed it to be considered later.

Of course, I am getting right medical advice; still I would to share with others in this forum for their opinions/advice from their experience.

My concerns:

1. Side effects

2. Required to travel and stay other places; any issues to be taken in to account.

3. How do you find my present mode of treatment from your experience? 

4. How far do you find from your experience hormone therapy effective in cases like me.  

5. When PSA level has come down far below normal, any opinions from your experience whether I can have an intermittent hormone therapy. 

Thank you.

User
Posted 24 Jul 2016 at 12:38

Hello rajtvm and welcome to the site.

I cannot offer advice as I don't have the experience necessary but hope by greeting you I've moved you up the page a bit.

Weekends are usually quiet but advice will be forthcoming from those members who understand what you are asking.

You've come tot he right place for support and advice at any rate

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 Jul 2016 at 16:05

Hi rajtvm

1) Intensity of side effects vary considerable between guys so in your case that's as yet unknown. As regards work possible fatigue followed if on HT long enough lack of concentration and diminished multitasking.

2) Travelling abroad could well increase travel insurance- shop around

3) Standard. You may wish to enquire if trials offering alternative treatments are available and if so suited to you.

4) Your rapid decline in PSA suggets you're responding well to HT. Any spread to bones makes a cure less likely but that doesn't mean to say PCa can't be controlled for many years in which time more advanced treatments will hopefully come on line to achieve a normal level of life expectancy.

5) Your drop in PSA is down to HT not in any meaningful way killing of cancer cells. If your aim is long term control or that cure then even considering IHT is a few years ahead.

Ray (47 months of HT)

User
Posted 24 Jul 2016 at 21:06

Ideally, you will be looking to get down to 0.1 and with a testosterone level of 0.69 or below

Treatments have slightly different names in India - we call them Lupron and zoledronic acid. The zorrent is to help strengthen your bones - so now is not the time to take up any dangerous sports like skiing!

In England, more & more men with your diagnosis are being offered early chemo - it seems to make the hormone treatment work more effectively. Perhaps early chemo is not available in your country but worth asking?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 16:16
All good advice. I'd just add that PET scans just like the older and less accurate CAT scans are not good at differentiating wear and tear injuries from the extra activity in a bone which PCa generates. It may be that the two points you mention are nothing more than the consequence of 64 years' activity. If subsequent scans show no change, you can probably rule out skeletal spread. The fact that you seem to have no soft tissue spread is very encouraging, as is your low PSA just now. If you can get it lower as Lyn says, great, but even so you can expect many years of fulfilling life. I too would urge early Chemo if you can get it. You can read on here of its side effects like those of ADT. They both vary from person to person of course but mostly not debilitating.

Good Luck

AC in Northants