Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Today and Tomorrow

User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 15:52
24th July 2016

At the time of writing, it is less than 24 hours until my three monthly follow up appointment with my ONCO at Guys. I'm bricking it, no, I'm really bricking it as the years pass and the treatments ultimately fail, I wonder if tomorrow will bring the news that the Enzalutamide I have been taking for the past five months has also started to fail too. Nearly out of options, I can almost feel the lips of death kiss my cheeks as the hours tick down to the appointment. Will my PSA be lower than last time, has it stabilised or will it have risen like a Spanish stallion to the the skies, 30,40, 50, even a 100!? Will the face that greets me behind the stark cold corridors of the cancer department at Guys be welcoming and positive or have an accent of gravity about it? Time will tell, time will out as my grandmother used to say.

Still asymptomatic save for the gynocomastia and sweats, heaven knows what has been going on in my body these past three months since my clear bone scan. The catastrophist in me wagers a massive rise in PSA heralding the last chance saloon option of chemotherapy, one that we all know does little to stop the car crash about to happen nor one that does little to improve one's quality of life - or the glass half full viewpoint of a stable or even lower PSA meaning that I should just keep taking the four bullet sized drugs each morning with my Special K.

These past three days, I've been like a cat on a hot tin roof unable to think of anything other than my appointment and the result of my latest PSA test. It's more than anxiety, it's a kalaedoscope of fear coursing through my veins that makes me not very good company at the moment. I can't wait for tomorrow to come.

25th July 2016

The sun was shining brightly on a glorious summer's morning as I entered Guy's oncology department today. Weight check made, I waited until my name was flashed on the screen and entered into see the ONCO. He wasn't wearing the mask of the Grim Reaper but he also was smiling too much either. As I feared, my PSA had risen in three months from 1.66 to 7.6, hardly stallion-like to the skies but ominously so as I thought that Enzalutamide may have worked for a bit longer before seeing a rise. My issue, he told me was my young age, virility and the fact that it's really difficult to bring down my testosterone reading sufficiently. He believes it's a case of the small amount of cancer in my body feeding off of that small amount of remaining testosterone rather than it spreading virulently and making its own food. Let's not forget that my PSA is still lower than six and a half years ago when I was first diagnosed when it was 10.3.

Fortunately, he never used the word "blip" but did say that increasing the frequency of my dosage of Prostap and/or changing it to Zoladex (in conjunction with the Enza) could see the drop in Testosterone we are both seeking. He then smiled and started talking cricket which immediately put me at ease.

At the end of the day, it was hard to draw any positives from the appointment I had rightly feared but whilst I feel in such rude good health, I just have take the only positive I can from it - that I look and feel absolutely fine - and that whatever is going on in my body is still at the microscopic stage and therefore I do not have to think about planning my funeral quite yet. We left the hospital less numb than we went it, still planning yet another holiday in September, albeit one that will not have to be planned now around some further scans and blood tests but then we've been doing that for years. Cancer, don't you just love it, NOT!

Edited by member 25 Jul 2016 at 21:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 16:22

I am Spartacus - with the strength of iron, a will of steel and the fight to give this disease a real run for its money.

Indeed you are.

You went from "bricking it" to fairly positive.

Let's face it, it could have been better but goodness it could have been so much worse and "bricking it" would have seemed mild in comparison.

Instead, you look fine, you feel fine and you are not at death's door yet.

Waiting for these appointments is demoralising, fearing the worst, convinced sometimes that it has to be the worst. Nobody can ease those feelings for any of us, they are what they are.

Book that September holiday, I know you'll get as much out of it as you can.

Cancer hasn't got you yet and long may that continue.

I hope that you are now both a little calmer and got out the wine and the travel books

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 25 Jul 2016 at 16:23  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 16:25
Bazza,

I am not in your position and can only imagine what you are going through. However, I too have an Onco appointment this week and am already dreading it, so I can really relate to that part of your narrative.

Good though that you feel in 'rude good health' , that must help. So book yourselves a fantastic holiday and enjoy it.

Regards,

John

User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 18:25
Hi Bazza, I know how you feel about the PSA checks, as your onco said, you can go on zoladex too etc. I am on Abbi and zoladex and the Russian roulette PSA tests have been good recently but I know that is not a forever thing. Please try to put it to the back of your mind and crack open another bottle of red. You can not change things today re your pose but you can enjoy tonight and tomorrow etc . All I can say is that's how I feel , sorry if it's not the same for you. I am running some stupid race in Spain in 4 days, too much climb for me and too technical but rather try that and fail than never try. We all love you, fight on, Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 19:28

I think I dread your onco reviews nearly as much as you do.

So okay, it's a bit of a crap doubling time but what was the testosterone score? Did he mention it? Do they routinely test it? Look back at Alathays' old posts - once he got into a t-testing routine, his doctors had a much better handle on the disease and were able to anticipate problems before they arrived. And look how well that strategy served him for so long.

I am interested in his comments about dogged cancer in younger men - it certainly had seemed that way on here sometimes.

Stay strong love - keep those demons at bay x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 19:55
Lyn

T was 1.3. I've enjoyed the best PSA falls when it's been between 0.7 and 0.9

Bazza

User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 20:32

Bazza, good news for you today and it was so much better than you feared, big leap in the right direction.

I have my onco's appointment this Thursday and will find out my PSA score but I am not expecting bad news, I can only imagine the worry that you have been going through wondering if/when, where and why. You are very positive and are a good roll model for all of us.

Enjoy your holiday and make those memories.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 21:02
Better news than expected Bazza, maybe it's better to be very worried and then find out that things aren't that bad after all. We are usually fairly open minded when we go to the Onco these days, I think we realise that John's cancer isn't going to romp away any time soon but the various knock on effects are what we dread.

Keep smiling Bazza.

Love

Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 25 Jul 2016 at 23:53

Hhhhmmm - too high indeed although getting down to 0.7 range also has a price to pay. Has any treatment ever got you down below castrate level?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard