I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Does weight make a difference

User
Posted 27 Jul 2016 at 14:02

either to dosage of RT, or side effects.

On HT so trying not to put weight on, and actually losing a little at the moment. Is it better to be a bit under weight or over weight or does it not matter.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2016 at 16:00

Cant see a bit either way making any difference on effectiveness of HT. I gained weight when on HT and did well on it. Will you have a choice is the question. Pre HT my weight self regulated. From HT onwards its a constant battle to keep from gaining a few pounds. I'm sure even looking at chips or cakes puts a pound on -:)

When on HT you might want some comfort food - don't deny at least one pleasure.

Ray

User
Posted 27 Jul 2016 at 18:27

I know that whilst on HT I was less active and when for example I played short tennis I had to sit out more games that I would hitherto have played. Even my gait slowed when walking, though I tried to continue to do this as much as possible. Not surprisingly using less energy and burning fewer calories led to weight gain. Ever since it has been a battle to keep weight down despite also reducing portions and eating more selectively.

I don't think a little extra weight makes much difference to RT dosage. I have been asked for my weight just before having MRI scans but most likely so that they can calculate how much 'contrast' to inject.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Jul 2016 at 18:51

Barry corrected my reading (RT not HT).

Not a few pounds. You may have to modify your diet anyways to allow for any bowel disturbance. The RT staff at my time said we don't care what you eat whilst on RT just eat.

Ray

User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 09:01

thanks everyone.

Just wondered if they turn the dial up to 11 if you are overweight as the fat might absorb some of the energy. So being underweight may have allowed a lesser power setting so perhaps less side effects.

Hoping my energy levels stay up, walking the Malerweg in a couple of weeks time before the RT.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 15:21

Off target is the main cause of longer term side effects so whatever they say do or don't do re bowels and bladder comply with.

Just did a Google on that walk have i got it right 112 miles amongst fab scenery?

Ray

User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 17:21

112 Km rather than miles, but unbelievable scenery, yes. Will spend a few days in Dresden too, looks a very interesting city.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 19:28

Speaking for the heavyweight man I have no allowance for my weight on any treatment thus far. In fact they do not weigh me ever so they could not do that. The HT has been the same as anyone else on HT despite me carrying considerable extra weight, so not sure there is any tapering to weight at all.