I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

anyone with experience of radium?

User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 13:22

Hi all. I am new to the community and looking for some guidance. My husband has advanced prostate cancer. He is 58 years of age, and diagnosed 8 years ago. He has had chemo (10 cycles), radiotherapy, and had SAPROCAN, Enzalutamide, none of which have worked effectively. He is now due to get Radium treatment starting in August. He has been in considerable pain with his latest issue of the cancer having attached his hip muscle and his back has gone into spasm. He is presently being treated with morphine and valium. We are told that we may be running out of options if Radium doesn't work. I am a very positive person, with the glass half full, but can't help feeling that time isn't on our side. If you have had experience of Radium 233 and similar experience of the different treatments I have mentioned can you share please?

Thank you.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 20:53

Hello Yviemac and welcome to the site

I'm sorry that I cannot answer your query but we do have others on the site who can.

Hopefully, having answered you, you've moved up the list so somebody with the experience of RT will be able to help you.

You could try the search facility.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 20:55
Hello Yvie

I'm so sorry to hear your story, your man is very young and it's very sad.

There have been a couple of people who've had radium 223 here. it does tend to get left until all other options are exhausted and I wouldn't say it's used commonly as far as I know.

I'm hoping someone who has had experience of this will come along soon.

Lots of love

Devonmaid

User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 21:44

Hi Yvie

My OH had 4 cycles of Radium 223, if you click my profile I'm sure the thread I started will come up.

In brief, treatment had to be stopped after 4 as it wasn't doing any good as PSA and Bone Markers rising very quickly, he has now just started Cabazitaxel. He did get a lot of pain with Radium 223 too.

He has had 1 cycle of Cabazitaxel and now 2nd one delayed until next week as he had to have 2 units of blood today. He is also going to be assessed for Olaparib (TOPARP trial) as a potential further option following Cabazitaxel.

He has also had Docetaxel, which didn't work that well and Enzalutamide, which did for 14 months.

Hope this helps, best wishes.

Glen

User
Posted 28 Jul 2016 at 23:45

I have not had radium 223 yet and only a few on here have experienced it. It is typically used when the cancer is active this tends to be the best usage for it. I know Sheffiekd took place in the trials as a treatment as one of my oncos has talked about ti very positively. I have though no first hand knowledge yet.

It must be so difficult when the options begin to run out so hope this can give you some symptomatic relief. I am on this journey with a few tools in the box so understand where you are coming from. Good luck!