I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Finaaly got info be after

User
Posted 30 Jul 2016 at 08:04

meet with a urologist yesterday re my waterworks, I discussed with him that I had never been shown any images of my scans
He asked do you want to know everything I said yes
so he started with my diagnosis last year and talked upto todays meeting
He showed me my scans explained where all my cancer was which is what I have ben asking for since diagnosis
He then told me if I had not had the EARLY DOCETAXEL chemo
(which I had to fight for)
then my HT would have failed within 18mths
He gave both me and my wife so much reassurance, just wish I had met this guy earlier

regards

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 30 Jul 2016 at 08:04

meet with a urologist yesterday re my waterworks, I discussed with him that I had never been shown any images of my scans
He asked do you want to know everything I said yes
so he started with my diagnosis last year and talked upto todays meeting
He showed me my scans explained where all my cancer was which is what I have ben asking for since diagnosis
He then told me if I had not had the EARLY DOCETAXEL chemo
(which I had to fight for)
then my HT would have failed within 18mths
He gave both me and my wife so much reassurance, just wish I had met this guy earlier

regards

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 30 Jul 2016 at 13:29

I find with a little prompting most are very forthcoming when you ask. I have to say though he cannot know whether the HT would have failed within 18 months. The early chemo protocol is a recent change, when I was diagnosed 4.5 years ago it was not then recommended. I had HT and am still here awaiting chemo and one or two other possibilities. The truth is HT tolerance differs for us all as does the pattern of our treatment. I have close friend who with this changed protocol has had early chemo but after two rounds was having severe problems with his blood platelets so it's been abandoned and he has moved onto HT, I hope he gets a lengthy respite with that.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2016 at 10:27

now empty

run long and prosper

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Jul 2016 at 13:29

I find with a little prompting most are very forthcoming when you ask. I have to say though he cannot know whether the HT would have failed within 18 months. The early chemo protocol is a recent change, when I was diagnosed 4.5 years ago it was not then recommended. I had HT and am still here awaiting chemo and one or two other possibilities. The truth is HT tolerance differs for us all as does the pattern of our treatment. I have close friend who with this changed protocol has had early chemo but after two rounds was having severe problems with his blood platelets so it's been abandoned and he has moved onto HT, I hope he gets a lengthy respite with that.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2016 at 18:33

Pleased you have the info wanted, better late than never. I would agree with HT time frame as its very variable.

Keep doing well.

Ray

User
Posted 30 Jul 2016 at 21:08
Nidge ,

To have confidence in your DR is fabulous just to feel that they listen and are fighting your corner is worth a thousand smiles. We have total confidence in the Wiz , we know she can't perform miracles but my goodness if she could she would. Lovely update.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 31 Jul 2016 at 00:09

Hi Nidge,

Pleased you finally got the info you were after.  Sounds like you have found a doctor who is worth keeping in touch with. 

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 31 Jul 2016 at 16:59

It's great that the early docetaxel worked for you, Nidge, but it doesn't always. Tony had 6 cycles of docetaxel, but his PSA started to rise again after only 10 months on HT. The next PSA test was not done for 3 months, by which time it was up to 18 and we knew for sure that the cancer had found a way round the HT, only 13 months after treatment began. The onco said it was quite possible that the chemo had made no difference at all. Men do seem to vary hugely in their responses to the different treatments.

Anyway, good to hear that you have a doctor who treats you like a grown-up and gives you the information you want. We have always found that uncertainty and vagueness are worse than hard facts, however unpleasant the facts may be.

Marje

User
Posted 01 Aug 2016 at 20:28
About time you found someone who could give you answera to all your questions

Why can't all doctors be like that

Hope you staying strong mate

Your inbox still full 😀

User
Posted 03 Aug 2016 at 10:27

now empty

run long and prosper