I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

9 months in, a rollercoaster ride

User
Posted 04 Aug 2016 at 13:09

Hi everyone. Thought it was time to give a full update. Some good news, some not so. Have a lot of stats in my profile if interested.

I am living in Auckland NZ and was diagnosed with widespread metastatic cancer to bones and lymph nodes, Nov 2015, age 57. It was picked up in an MRi, I had zero symptoms and then went through Pet and bone scans, each imaging found more. The primary tumor has never been found but PC seems the most likely. I had a malignant melanoma in 1991 which was luckily found early.

Commenced Bicalutamide (casodex) followed soon after my luprin depot 3 month injections. In January started 6 cycles of docetaxel chemo. So apretty agressive treatment program. Chemo was fine until the last two cycles when I had bad nails, lymphadema, sleep issues and put on loads of weight.

However we came thgrough it and I started upping my physical training and general exercise and now feel great.Scans after Chemo showed lymph nodes almost back to normal and signs of healing in bones. Yeah hah! Weight back to normal, hair on head regrown. I was looking for a normal life for a while...

Then the down: PSa from 0.4 to 9.7 in a few weeks and just today, 3 weeks later up to 25.8. Somethings going on....Seeing the Oncologist in the morning. So feeling good and the blood says bad, bugger that!  I really thought the early chemo and ADT combo was the way to go, but it seems not for me. Suspect I will be prescribed Abi, will be really opushing for Genetics test as my gut says there is good info to be found there.

Will update after the Onco. Best wishes to all on this site, I get so much value from it, sometimes lurking, occassionally commenting.

"And Rocky said, doc it's only a scratch. And I'll be better, I'll be better doc as soon as I am able"
User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 04:41

Oncologist obviously concerned with rapid rise in PSA and Alk Phos now 224. Puzzled by lack of any symptoms. I'm booked in for CT scan and Scintigram next week to compare against those of 2 months ago.

Have holiday booked in 3 weeks, all looks ok for that, thank goodness.

"And Rocky said, doc it's only a scratch. And I'll be better, I'll be better doc as soon as I am able"
User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 07:28
M

Good that you are feeling great not so good with the stats. As we often say we are all different. Hope the scans show something that can be sorted and enjoy that holiday.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 22:57

Hi Chris, just read your history. We couldnt have more different journeys really. Me with no primary and therefore no surgery, no Gleason score. Trust things are well for you and best wishes.
Martin