I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help I need a holiday

User
Posted 04 Aug 2016 at 17:22
Hi I'm looking for advice regarding travel insurance I was diagnosed in February with prostate cancer spread to my bones..I started with hormone therapy straight away and had chemotherapy every 3 weeks for 6 times. That has been completed a month ago and now I want a holiday but trying to find a company to insure me is proving difficult. I plan to travel in Europe does anyone here have any suggestions please ..
User
Posted 04 Aug 2016 at 19:27
Hi

Have a look at this link, it might help:

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10990-Travel-insurance-solved-at-last#post134182

Arthur
User
Posted 04 Aug 2016 at 20:52

I'm not as advanced as you , but Boots Travel Insurance covered me with an in depth online form. Good luckn

User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 01:01
Hi,

I recently travelled to Amsterdam for the weekend and was insured by "All Clear" Insurance even though I have a heart condition in addition to Prostate cancer.

Might be worth checking with them.

Also might be worth speaking to Macmillan Cancer Care.

All the best.

Steve
User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 05:27

hi
had same problem last year when diagnosed, could only get cover without the cancer included for a holiday in Canada, spoke with my Onco who told me that I would not have any worries which proved correct
doing same again this year and got cover including PCa, with insurewith
think the difference is had all my treatment for now which included chemo, this finished early this year
am on HT plus a couple of other tablets for waterworks and pain management
if you manage to get PCa cover for hols tell them everything you are taking and if you change or add any medication tell them also, as insurance companies tend to use anything to wriggle out of paying

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 17:49
I am insured via a packaged account with nat west, it's £12 a month I think and I had to pay an extra premium of £90 to cover PC but that gives me worldwide for a year including PC. I did a 5 minute telephone q&a with them. It's the second year they have renewed on that basis. The only questions that seems to matter are, how often do you go to the hospital for check ups/ treatment ( mine was monthly at the time) and is the cancer terminal ( whilst you could say I am with metastatic PC, my onco says that definition only counts when there is no more treatment to stop the cancer growth so as my PSA is under control then I remain covered). I think other banks do similar accounts too.

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 06 Aug 2016 at 07:55
I am in Majorca now and It cost me £130 for three weeks that covered me and the wife and two children for everything
I have loads of Mets and had chemo
Insurancewith all done on line
Si
Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Aug 2016 at 19:27
Hi

Have a look at this link, it might help:

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10990-Travel-insurance-solved-at-last#post134182

Arthur
User
Posted 04 Aug 2016 at 20:52

I'm not as advanced as you , but Boots Travel Insurance covered me with an in depth online form. Good luckn

User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 01:01
Hi,

I recently travelled to Amsterdam for the weekend and was insured by "All Clear" Insurance even though I have a heart condition in addition to Prostate cancer.

Might be worth checking with them.

Also might be worth speaking to Macmillan Cancer Care.

All the best.

Steve
User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 05:27

hi
had same problem last year when diagnosed, could only get cover without the cancer included for a holiday in Canada, spoke with my Onco who told me that I would not have any worries which proved correct
doing same again this year and got cover including PCa, with insurewith
think the difference is had all my treatment for now which included chemo, this finished early this year
am on HT plus a couple of other tablets for waterworks and pain management
if you manage to get PCa cover for hols tell them everything you are taking and if you change or add any medication tell them also, as insurance companies tend to use anything to wriggle out of paying

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 17:49
I am insured via a packaged account with nat west, it's £12 a month I think and I had to pay an extra premium of £90 to cover PC but that gives me worldwide for a year including PC. I did a 5 minute telephone q&a with them. It's the second year they have renewed on that basis. The only questions that seems to matter are, how often do you go to the hospital for check ups/ treatment ( mine was monthly at the time) and is the cancer terminal ( whilst you could say I am with metastatic PC, my onco says that definition only counts when there is no more treatment to stop the cancer growth so as my PSA is under control then I remain covered). I think other banks do similar accounts too.

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 06 Aug 2016 at 07:29
Thankyou for your replies it's such a help as my bank with cover me but exclude the PC ...I've contacted all clear they will cover me £500+ for 1 trip or £1200+ For multi trip in Europe ....does that sound about right to any of you that have been quoted for holiday insurance?....I have spoken to my nurse and she said my condition is not terminal as regards to insurance reason being that as I've had chemo that should give me an extra 2 years on top of my years given so definitely not classed as terminal....thankyou for all your suggestions it's been a real help.
User
Posted 06 Aug 2016 at 07:55
I am in Majorca now and It cost me £130 for three weeks that covered me and the wife and two children for everything
Si
Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 06 Aug 2016 at 13:49
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Si

Thankyou so much Si ness I had to ring and they quoted me £69.39 !! That's for a 3 week holiday ....the person I spoke to was so helpful I just have to check a couple of details with dr then I'm going with Insurancewith
User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 17:33
Husband diagnosed with Aggresive PC don't know till. Next week if spread but Nurse say HT & RT if not HT & chemo if has told travel insurance earlier as got yearly policy told them HT start hopefully next week they ask if spread I say don't know if has or not they say will ring back when know why can't they just say yes or know .We go away in 3 weeks anyone help with company that would if advanced
User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 18:44

Peggy
No-one can answer your question - you need to wait until you have all the rest results and then speak to the insurers. Your current insurer wants to know more information when you get it; if you changed company the new company would do the same.

You say why can't they say a simple yes or no. They can't because they don't know yet what the prognosis or treatment plan is.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 20:57
Thank you LynEyre I will wait but do you mean the insurers don't know prognosis yet or treatment plan I told them what hospital told us .Do you mean they need a definate anwser on if spread or not and treatment

Edited by member 04 Jul 2017 at 20:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 22:25

Yes

If you have annual cover then the insurer cannot change its mind now that something has changed (unless you had reason to suspect problems when you took out the policy in February and failed to disclose it) - if you have to cancel the Greece holiday then you should be covered for that.

But now they know there is a cancer diagnosis they won't be able to tell you what will happen at renewal time until next February and they won't be able to confirm that they are happy to cover you to go to Greece until they know what treatment is planned, when and whether your husband's oncologist is happy for him to travel. If you went to Greece against medical advice you would not be covered.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 22:33
Thank you lovely lady when given the results of biopsy consultant said about scans that would be sorted I told her we were going away and they sorted scans there and then so hopefully with nurse already saying what treatment options there was they be happy for us to go .I think we even told nurse where we go .But thank you so much for your advice and support 🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷