I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

stopping ht will i recover

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 11:54

hi,just recently stopped ht after 2 years 4mths,high risk psa now 0.010,will i ever recover from zoladex,people say you gain weight with zoladex ,i have lost weight and bone loss,i am only a small guy and now i look really thin,i am ashamed of how i look,when i went for a cytoscopy the doc said i was very thin and i said i feel like jacking it all in and getting some steroids to build myself up and take my chance,he said you dont need steroids what can 1 do,any guys in similiar position.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 12:38

Radar, the fact that you have stopped HT was that the onco's decision or yours? All you have to do now is eat plenty of food over a period of time and the pounds will start going back on again. Possibly do what the bodybuilder so do and have a planned diet for weight gain, maybe see a nutritionist.

I have been on Zoladex for the last eighteen months now and I must say that to start with my weight stayed fairly normal but in the last two months I have noticed that muscle wastage together with bone thining is starting to show, I have also lost weight and I am not trying.

I am sure someone else will come along shortly with different advice and we can find a way to get you bigger.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 17:11
Radar,

When I was weighed at the hospital 10 days ago I'd lost 4 kgs in the past 6 months. This is devasting news for me , as I too can ill afford to loose weight. And I was actually gaining weight initially when I started Zoladex. I'm upping the food intake as much in quantity and as often as I can. Still the envy of all my family and friends who struggle to loose weight and there am I trying to retain what have. Honestly I can say that I know no one who eats as much as me, I have a ferocious appetite !

So when you find the answer to weight gain let me know please. I keep active as much as I can and I am a supreme fidget though, possibly that's why I lose weight.

John

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 17:36

thanks,it was the oncos idea to stop ht with 6 monthly monitoring,as far as doing what bodybuilders eat to put weight on,it does not work now with no testesterone,i cant start having weight gainers or protein powders as they have got growth in them,with prostate cancer thats the least you want,i do weight training 3xweekly and it makes no difference,it just helps to keep my bones strong,even my gp said weight training will make no difference,i also asked my gp is there anything to help me to put weight on,he said there is no magic pill. if you are thin before you start zoladex the outcome is a walking skeleton.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 18:46

What do you mean about protein powders? Sounds as if you have been eliminating foods? Have a glass of milk or fruit juice between meals. Eat food fried in butter or olive oil. Add an occasional stout to stimulate appetite (or martini/sherry/gt). Stop exercising so much. Add rice,potatoes,pasta to meals,also desserts. Ice cream/chocolate/sugar in beverages might also help as well as nuts. Actually my O.H. put weight on with Zoladex and is relieved not to have to take it.
Good luck,Elajai .

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 18:54

thanks,but i have been trying to eat healthy,you are suggesting junk food, i have cut out dairy and red meat which are not good for prostate cancer,it is not in my bones yet  t3b no mo but the foods you mention it wont take long,thanks anyway.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 20:54

Hi radar

When you start on HT the rate of decline is quite quickly as in a few months. When you come off HT recovery takes far far longer. So don't expect too much too soon.

Although perhaps not aware of it the lack of HT will have increased your energy levels. Even slightly more general exercise will burn off more calories so you need to eat more healthily just to keep pace with that.

Were you open with the GP on what supplements you're taking and your restrictive diet as that could be the cause of not gaining weight?

Concentrating on prostate cancer can take your eye of other life threatening issues that a restrictive diet could well assit. So try to get the diet balance right.

Ray

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 21:39

thanks,but do you recommend the food that elajai suggests its junk all you will get is a fat belly,the majority on here do not eat red meat and dairy. weight gainers and whey protein powders are made from milk which a lot of people here say avoid,one of the side effects of zoladex is thin arms and legs,the only place a lot of people on here gain weight is there stomach with zoladex, its hard to know what to eat to try and gain healthy weight ,elajai also stop exercising,i dont go mad but i do weight training for my bones.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 22:52

Hi radar

No I don't recommend junk food.

Not so sure you're correct in saying the majority here don't eat red meat or dairy. I would go along with the majority have reduced red meat and perhaps more have cut out all or nearly all dairy. I still have both but at a much reduced rate such as circa 80 grams of red meat twice a week and a box match size of cheese even though I dislike it. I have both because without them I get tired very quickly which suggests I need them. So to me that's a balance of managing the risk of cancer returning but trying to keep otherwise fit and healthy by having a diet that I feel suits me. Which is all anyone of us can do.

Ray

User
Posted 09 Aug 2016 at 00:11
Radar ,

I hadn't heard about the s/e of Zoladex being thin arms and legs before. I knew that there'd be some weight gain around the middle, which has occurred to me. But as to the arms and legs then what you have mentioned has happened to me too. I too use weight bearing exercises to maintain bone strength.

Re diet, I've cut out red meat and processed foods. I still have dairy intake via cheese and milk on a daily basis , partly to maintain a balanced diet and also for the calcium intake, but in much reduced quantities. I eat as well as I can but also want to enjoy what I have. I can't always control what I eat when I'm away from home and will go with the flow when I'm out. But at home I try as much as I can to eat realistically to stay healthy and also not to give this disease any further chance of destroying my life. And then I'll cave in and enjoy an enormous bar of chocolate and a few cakes ! I've stopped drinking alcohol though and I don't think I'll go back to it.

John

User
Posted 09 Aug 2016 at 10:37

Have you actually seen a dietitian?

Your GP can refer you ....

User
Posted 09 Aug 2016 at 17:13

MILK IS NOT JUNK. MEAT IS NOT JUNK.YOU ARE MISTAKEN. EAT VEG WITH OLIVE OIL IF YOU PREFER. THERE IS NO NEED TO RESTRICT MILK/DAIRY FROM YOUR DIET. DO THE RESEARCH. EAT NUTS, FISH, ,FRUIT ,VEG, UNPROCESSED FOOD IF YOU PREFER IT. YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT BEING UNDERWEIGHT ,YOU ARE RESTRICTING YOUR OWN DIET. USE COMMON SENSE. ELAJAI .

User
Posted 09 Aug 2016 at 17:14

MILK IS NOT JUNK. MEAT IS NOT JUNK.YOU ARE MISTAKEN. EAT VEG WITH OLIVE OIL IF YOU PREFER. THERE IS NO NEED TO RESTRICT MILK/DAIRY FROM YOUR DIET. DO THE RESEARCH. EAT NUTS, FISH, ,FRUIT ,VEG, UNPROCESSED FOOD IF YOU PREFER IT. YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT BEING UNDERWEIGHT ,YOU ARE RESTRICTING YOUR OWN DIET. USE COMMON SENSE. ELAJAI .

User
Posted 09 Aug 2016 at 17:16

ALSO I SAID STOP EXERCISING SO MUCH NOT AT ALL. OH ALSO GOES TO THE GYM.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2016 at 08:24

ok,thankyou for trying to help,its the zoladex s/e thats the cause.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2016 at 12:27

Apologies for accidentally posting twice and ""=shouting"".  Elajai (25 years in nhs including working on wards with anorectic patients).

User
Posted 10 Aug 2016 at 17:05

its,ok i know you mean well,anorexic and prostate cancer is different,i eat veg ,nuts and all the healthy things that are supposed to be good for prostate cancer,but you suggest things with a lot of sugar in them thats not good for prostate cancer,with no testerone you cant grow.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2016 at 21:03

Hi you need to put weight  on. Who told you sugar was bad for pc?  No evidence to support that.  It may cause you dental problems.  My original post was typical for putting on weight.  You cant choose where the weight will go.  Protein (meat.fish,tofu,soya reinforced with calcium) will help give energy .  I do wish you well -agree with others that a dieticians advice would help you. Meanwhile I hope you were joking about steroids or did I read that wrong?  Surely you have heard about heart problems/etc linked with steroid abuse which is why they are illegal . Good luck in future.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2016 at 21:11

thanks,but if a person is naturally thin it is very hard to put weight on,with me it goes to my stomach and nowhere else,and it is worse with zoladex,bone loss, muscle loss, tissue loss,afraid i will just have to put up with it.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 14:15

I read this with interest. I have just had my 2nd prostap 3 injection and have noticed I am lighter by a good few lbs without trying. The weight loss I believe, having had a background in physical training comes from the loss of muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. I exercise regularly - even though the injections have made me tired and I lack the energy I used to have. I find i have to exercise and work before 2pm as after that I am "done in" I do believe I am starting to get an extending middle though so am tryng to continue circuits at the gym as often as I can to try and keep what little muscle I can. Starting radiotherapy is going to be a bit of a problem as the hospital is 54 miles from here so, with a 108 round trip - probably in hospital transport I don't know when I am going to find the time to exercise. I have dusted off the treadmill I had to use after my hip replacement back in 2009 so will use that I also have an old static bicycle. Think I may need to do some weight training too so will buy some weights just to do light training. Other than that I will have to try and take walks around the waiting room in the hospital whilst waiting for my lift I think!

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 17:20

i think ht effects people in different ways,i started hormone holiday 4th july after 2 yrs 5 months on zoladex psa 0.010 dont feel any different yet bit early,i have got to say a lot of people on here suffer with tiredness,but i havent been to bad even though i find it hard to sleep,regarding weight loss it is harder for us small guys we show it more than the big guys,i have cut way down on cardio,but do weight training 3days a week to help my bones plus my appetite is ok,suppose just have to accept it.cheers.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 18:01

Its funny radar my so called "ideal weight" is 11st 12lbs but i have not been that weight since I was 16. I quite happily settle around the 13st mark, eating healthily and exercising so am quite happy with that as I do not look "over weight" I don't even look stocky. Now thanks to losing muscle I am about half a stone lighter. Because I have always been fit due to all the sport I played for my job - I was a professional football, tennis, and swimming coach and football referee, and when I was young couldn't get trousers to fit around my calves! I had a bad illness in my mid thirties and I lost a lot of muscle then which I was unable to get back - but I could get trousers to fit me!. This has continued as I get older. Degeneration and deterioration of my spine has made me shorter too. So, with the hormone therapy and radiotherapy I may get down to what all the charts say is my "ideal weight" which of course is a little less as the degeneration in my spine continues - I am just going to fade away!

From what my Doc tells me I will continue on HT for a total of 3 years altogether so on the fourth month now., we will have to wait and see what the future brings. I hope now that you are off HT things will start to get better for you. It always takes longer to try and get back to the place you were before something like this. I think you are doing well and your PSA score is enviable. Keep doing what you are doing and it may be a good idea to see a dietician - ask your Doc for a referral. I think i am going to see one as my cancer centre does have one that you can consult with and I think it would be a good idea. Hope you see some difference within the next couple of months.

User
Posted 03 Oct 2016 at 09:08

thankyou.