Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Laser surgery

User
Posted 12 Aug 2016 at 11:33

Hi,

Im a newbie here so bare with me if my questions have already been answered. I have recently been diagnosed with PC but it has not spread. I have been recommended laser surgery followed up by sessions of radio therapy over a month. I do not understand why I would need both procedures. Is this normal?

User
Posted 12 Aug 2016 at 15:44

Hello paulspel and welcome

It is usually quiet on the site leading up to and over weekends so you may have to wait for a reply from somebody with the experience you asked about.

However, if you got to the "SHOW SEARCH" box at the top of the page you can put in laser treatment and read any conversations that appear.

If you see something you want to follow up then click on that person's avatar and you will be able to read their profile.

If you could give details of your PSA, your Gleason score and any other result you have been given it might help members with advice.

Just diagnosed can be a worrying time and you'll want instant answers to all of your questions. We all know that feeling.

Hang in there until somebody comes along. Or perhaps try the nurses on 0800 074 8383 if you're really anxious and want help straight away. I'm not sure how available they are over a weekend but it's worth trying perhaps.

All the best

Sandra

Edited by member 12 Aug 2016 at 15:45  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 Aug 2016 at 17:06

Hi

This is an assumption so I could be wrong, I guess you are having a TURP (Transurethral resection of prostate)  and they will laser away some of the prostate, the RT treatment is then to mop up / eradicate any remaining cancer cells.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Aug 2016 at 22:56

Hi Paulspel, I had a TURP procedure last year and was looking to have a green light laser treatment done privately to speed up the job. It is the same end result as a normal surgical TURP but supposedly involves less time in hospital afterwards and less time with a catheter in.

I was told that the laser treatment was no good for PCa removal but ok for enlarged prostates, I ended up having the standard op done by the same surgeon that does the laser treatment. I was in hospital for twenty four hours and catheter removed after twelve so I do not think that the laser treatment would have saved me any time in hospital.

The only thing it saved me was £7500 which is what it would have cost privately.

I would imagine that if you are having the green light laser treatment that the RT sessions will zapp any cancer cells in your prostate.

Best of luck with whatever treatment path you are going on.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 08:19
Hi

The Greenlight Laser Procedure is commonly to clear the urethra of blockages so that you can pee.

It is used in BPH cases and some centres say it is only a day patient procedure and with no catheter needed.

In your case maybe they are carrying out this procedure to "clear the way" to alleviate any peeing problems that you have, before commencing the RT?

Also.. I am surprised that your consultant didn't explain why you need this.. maybe you should ask him?

Good luck with your treatment.

KRO...

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Aug 2016 at 15:44

Hello paulspel and welcome

It is usually quiet on the site leading up to and over weekends so you may have to wait for a reply from somebody with the experience you asked about.

However, if you got to the "SHOW SEARCH" box at the top of the page you can put in laser treatment and read any conversations that appear.

If you see something you want to follow up then click on that person's avatar and you will be able to read their profile.

If you could give details of your PSA, your Gleason score and any other result you have been given it might help members with advice.

Just diagnosed can be a worrying time and you'll want instant answers to all of your questions. We all know that feeling.

Hang in there until somebody comes along. Or perhaps try the nurses on 0800 074 8383 if you're really anxious and want help straight away. I'm not sure how available they are over a weekend but it's worth trying perhaps.

All the best

Sandra

Edited by member 12 Aug 2016 at 15:45  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 Aug 2016 at 17:06

Hi

This is an assumption so I could be wrong, I guess you are having a TURP (Transurethral resection of prostate)  and they will laser away some of the prostate, the RT treatment is then to mop up / eradicate any remaining cancer cells.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Aug 2016 at 11:07
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. They have been very helpful and will assist me in my list of questions on my next consultation. The plan is for a Greenlight laser procedure which I gather will reduce the size of the prostate but not kill the cancer. The follow up with radio therapy should complete the process ( I hope ). Any further comments from fellow members will be much appreciated. Like many people, this is unknown territory for me.

Again, many thanks.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2016 at 22:56

Hi Paulspel, I had a TURP procedure last year and was looking to have a green light laser treatment done privately to speed up the job. It is the same end result as a normal surgical TURP but supposedly involves less time in hospital afterwards and less time with a catheter in.

I was told that the laser treatment was no good for PCa removal but ok for enlarged prostates, I ended up having the standard op done by the same surgeon that does the laser treatment. I was in hospital for twenty four hours and catheter removed after twelve so I do not think that the laser treatment would have saved me any time in hospital.

The only thing it saved me was £7500 which is what it would have cost privately.

I would imagine that if you are having the green light laser treatment that the RT sessions will zapp any cancer cells in your prostate.

Best of luck with whatever treatment path you are going on.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 08:19
Hi

The Greenlight Laser Procedure is commonly to clear the urethra of blockages so that you can pee.

It is used in BPH cases and some centres say it is only a day patient procedure and with no catheter needed.

In your case maybe they are carrying out this procedure to "clear the way" to alleviate any peeing problems that you have, before commencing the RT?

Also.. I am surprised that your consultant didn't explain why you need this.. maybe you should ask him?

Good luck with your treatment.

KRO...