Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diagnosis for Dad

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 11:50
Hi everyone

I've been looking at some posts and found how helpful and useful these seemed to be so I decided to join and hopefully learn more and in turn share more as we progress.

Dad was given his diagnosis of PC last week after a few years if having a larger prostate and prostatitis. His father also had PC when he was in his 70s (my dad's 63) and died 2 years later from it as I think he left it too long going to get checked out.

I believe dad's stage is a T2 with a Gleeson score of 7 (3+4 and a 4+3) the Dr advised there's a 90-95% chance of it being cured which is fantastic and just hope and pray that dad falls in to this percentage!

Luckily we live next door to my parents so we are on hand to help.

I'm driving myself mad on trying to ensure dad eats what he should. I know most/all information on this isn't fully tested but if we can give him best hope possible.

Wed love some advise on what is best to give him and what's best to avoid. He loves his food but has always been a slim Jim so he never over eats but does have a real sweet tooth.

We don't want to make his cancer worse if by eating certain things is true, but we don't want to lessen his quality of enjoying nice things.

We are Tring to Inc as much tomatoes and pomegranate in to his diet as possible but really would appreciate some first hand advise instead of Dr Google on best/worst foods.

Thanks to all and hope and strength sent out to you all

Jayne

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 12:47

Hello Jayne and welcome.

It's good that dad has you on his corner.

Food wise turmeric is supposed to be good too.

Put diet in the search box and conversations should come up for you to look at. 

Just click on an avatar and follow.

When dad goes for the consultation it's helpful if somebody goes with him and questions for asking are written down beforehand.

Make note of answers too.

Download The Toolkit from publications as it is very helpful.

You're in the right place for help and support. 

Edited by member 14 Aug 2016 at 19:43  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 13:06

Hi and welcome Jayne

Mixed diet bag. Some don't have any dairy or red meat plus supplements. At the other end some have no food restrictions. I've no proven evidence either gives a longer survival time. So I take the half way house of reducing red meat and dairy with no specific foods. I'm now nigh on 12 years since diagnosis so if diet makes a difference it suits me.

Bear in mind treatment can be tough so your dad needs to eat well and enjoy his food.

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 12:47

Hello Jayne and welcome.

It's good that dad has you on his corner.

Food wise turmeric is supposed to be good too.

Put diet in the search box and conversations should come up for you to look at. 

Just click on an avatar and follow.

When dad goes for the consultation it's helpful if somebody goes with him and questions for asking are written down beforehand.

Make note of answers too.

Download The Toolkit from publications as it is very helpful.

You're in the right place for help and support. 

Edited by member 14 Aug 2016 at 19:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 13:06

Hi and welcome Jayne

Mixed diet bag. Some don't have any dairy or red meat plus supplements. At the other end some have no food restrictions. I've no proven evidence either gives a longer survival time. So I take the half way house of reducing red meat and dairy with no specific foods. I'm now nigh on 12 years since diagnosis so if diet makes a difference it suits me.

Bear in mind treatment can be tough so your dad needs to eat well and enjoy his food.

Ray

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 21:20
Thank you so much for your response and advise...it's much appreciated. It's so much of a whirl wind right now as you probably know yourself. It's knowing what to and what not to do. I'll do the search in the forum as suggested.

Thanks once again for your warm welcome and much appreciated advise

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 21:23
Thank you for your advise. I'll download the toolkit and do the search on diets.

Very useful information so thank you...much appreciated!

It will be a long road ahead whatever the outcome so I really do appreciate your help. Thank you

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 21:47

Don't get too stressed out as the Prostate Cancer world is full of no consistant answers. Perhaps the best diet is one that each feels works for them even if the science doesn't fully back it up. Keep in mind some studies are based on prevention rather than once with it.

Ray

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 21:52
Yes, very good advise there ray. Thank you. Think dad will be rather fed up of tomatoes and pomegranate in a few more week the way we are planning to shovel them down him! :)

Hope you're doing fine by the way.

User
Posted 15 Aug 2016 at 08:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Think dad will be rather fed up of tomatoes and pomegranate in a few more week the way we are planning to shovel them down him! :)

Tomatoes (as in tomato puree) can be added to so many dishes without compromising the taste of the dish. Just think of spag bol for instance. That's already tomato based.  My husband doesn't  "do" cooked tomatoes - he thinks they're vile.  He knows spag bol has toms in but what he doesn't know is that I squeeze loads and loads of puree in. !! 

It's a bit like fooling a child really. Coffee for instance. He isn't a massive coffee drinker and because of that refuses to consider de-caff.  

OK, I didn't make a big issue of it but I didn't discard the empty jar.  I just half filled it with de-caf and when I make coffee I just get out both jars!! Sneaky eh?

Likewise, turmeric.  You can add this to any dish that is already flavoured with herbs and spices.  I wouldn't recommend the turmeric drink (I have tried it and even I think it's horrible and I'll give most things a go).

Perhaps initially cut back rather than out altogether. If dad doesn't mind fish then swap one red meat dish for fish of some sort.  If like mine the only unbattered fish he eats is the occasional bit of (undyed) smoked haddock, then buy fish that is lightly dusted rather than battered or crumbed. 

We do have soya milk which started off as my change of diet due to a health issue and now John has it on his breakfast.  He likes yoghurt and I've swapped to soya ones. There isn't a massive difference between the two.

Cut down rather than out, all pastry and cakes and try and increase fresh fruit intake, organic for preference. 

I can understand you all trying to get him to change because it gives him a better chance, well, at least it won't harm him, but life has to have some pleasure and making a complete change to your dad's diet means he isn't likely to enjoy it or stick to it.

Remember - slowly, slowly catches monkey. Creep up all the changes on him !!

Best Wishes

Edited by member 15 Aug 2016 at 08:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Aug 2016 at 11:36

Hi Jayne,

Note that Dad is not overweight which is good as is being active, although he has a sweet tooth. Some lucky people are able to get away with a higher intake of sugar - carbohydrates than others but it is something that should be considered not just because of cancer. This is an interesting if quite long report on the subject. I am overweight and have made efforts to reduce sugary intake. I no longer have sugar in tea and have reduced the amount I have in coffee. I have found a brand of reduced sugar marmalade I like and on occassion when on holiday only normal marmalade is available I now find this rather sickly. The same for example goes for milk chocolate so I now only have the dark kind and even this I find a little too sweet. So it is possible to get accustomed to a lower sugar intake of which we need less as we become less active. https://www.oncologynutrition.org/erfc/healthy-nutrition-now/sugar-and-cancer/

Barry