I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment options for my Dad?

User
Posted 23 Aug 2016 at 01:20
My dad is 85 was diagnosed 2 years ago, otherwise general health is good for his age.

He was only offered option of hormone treatments, Decapatyl and then Prostrap.

His PSA was brought right down but has now started slowly increasing.

Looking at range of treatment options we wanted to explore if radiotherapy could be considered but the consultant said this wasnt an option due to age maybe if younger 75 would consider.

Surely this shouldnt be judged solely on chronological age but on general health and fitness ?

Can anyone give any advice around this ? When a consultant is adamant about particular treatment route what options do we have?

In other parts of the Uk are people of my fathers age still getting access to radiotherapy or alternative treatments or are hormone treatments alone being prescribed?

Thanks

User
Posted 23 Aug 2016 at 19:36

Hello again Adrian50

There were several answers on your previous post of 14th August.

Have you asked for a second opinion from your dad's hospital?

Have you asked the nurses on here for advice about how to obtain a second opinion? They may point you in the right direction.

Is your father keen to explore a another invasive treatment that may well knock him for six even if he is normally fit and healthy, as it does younger men.

I don't know if any of us can add any more. I hope so for your sake as you are obviously keen to do your best for your dad.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Aug 2016 at 21:41

Was this the oncology consultant, or a Urologist?

Did s/he specifically say no-one would be offered radiotherapy at 85 - or simply that your father would not be offered it?

And yes; several of us advised seeking a second opinion, which the NHS is always happy to provide - or you can seek your prefered consultant radiotherapist for an opinion. Your father is entitled to it!

User
Posted 23 Aug 2016 at 23:13

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
My dad is 85 was diagnosed 2 years ago, otherwise general health is good for his age.
He was only offered option of hormone treatments, Decapatyl and then Prostrap.
Looking at range of treatment options we wanted to explore if radiotherapy could be considered but the consultant said this wasnt an option due to age maybe if younger 75 would consider.
Surely this shouldnt be judged solely on chronological age but on general health and fitness ?

Can anyone give any advice around this ? When a consultant is adamant about particular treatment route what options do we have?

In other parts of the Uk are people of my fathers age still getting access to radiotherapy or alternative treatments or are hormone treatments alone being prescribed?

Thanks

Hello Adrian50,

My first thought when reading your post was, what does your Dad want? 

Is he fully aware of what  is going on?

It is possible to seek a referral to another "clinical area" for a different treatment option if that opinion is not available locally.  I did it, I have no regrets. 

What is your family longevity like. How long is Dad likely to live' ish?

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 31 Aug 2016 at 01:05
Thank you for your advice and thoughtful responses, may I apologise for my delay in responding to you.

My Dad does want to look at all appropriate options open to him, he is mentally very well and does retain alot of interests and is really enjoying his new home he has recently downsized to.

The consultant is a urologist, it may be worth exploring an opnion from an oncologist or radiotherapist as you suggested Dave at least to really clarify options and risks properly. We did wonder if different areas may have different approaches/policies to this so the advice around this gives us something to think about

My Dad is thinking how best to proceed, it is really helpful to take some ideas and opinions from you so thank you.

If you have any other advice please pass this through.

Thanks vety much

Adrian

User
Posted 31 Aug 2016 at 07:09

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Adrian,

If I were Dad I wouldn't be too worried whilst the PSA was only slowly increasing especially if I were asymptomatic.

David

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 18:57
Thanks Dave thats reassuring

Just have felt uncertain and wanted to ensure Dad gets as much access to appropraite treatment that is available so he can make atfull decision.

His Psa has increased slowly up to present now at 0.6 but concern has have been told becomes less effective after a couple of years and dad now at this point?

Cheers

Adrian