I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Goserelin V HT PATCH Trial

User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 15:10

I was  diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in Dec 2015 and after a month on bicalutamide I was asked if I would volunteer for the PATCH trial. Before doing so I asked what was the possibililty of me getting breast enlargement as this possibility was mentioned in the liteature; but was told it was rare. I therefore went ahead and volunteered.

I underwent radio therapy (completing 9th August) and am currently still on the PATCH trial - but begining to regret it as I am developing sizable breasts. I an seriously considering to be released from the tial but have been told I will need to go onto Goserelin. Unfortunately I see that Goserelin side  of Goserelin also list breast swelling and tenderness with ‘long term use’.

Can anyone tell me what would constitute ‘long term use’ as I don’t want to jump from the frying pan into the fire?

Thank you

User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 15:22

Hi
Sorry to hear you are having issues with HT. Many guys on here have been on it long term and will help I'm sure. In my experience on here I think some men are just naturally susceptible to breast enlargement, and others are fine. I've been on Bicalutamide 150mg for a year and have zero breast issues. I was prescribed one a week Tamoxifen 20mg to prevent breast issues. Maybe you could ask about this.
All the best
Chris

User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 17:18

Thanks Chris

Actually I mentioned Tamoxifen to the clinical trials nurse but she really didn't want me to have it; but then it's all too late now. It looks as though the only option would be surgery (not on the NHS of course)

I was simply wondering if Goserelin would at least slow it down until treatment ends (if it ever does)

Don

User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 21:22

We found it was the bicalutimide that caused the moobs and as you have intimated above, for many men they are permanent and do not reduce in size after the HT stops. So my guess is that you wouldn't get much benefit from changing hormone now. On the up side, we do have a member (can't think of his name right now but it will come back to me) who has had the breast reduction surgery on the NHS because it was a side effect of cancer treatment rather than aesthetics. As you say, tamoxifen (or a short zap of RT to the breast buds) only seems to work if you do it right at the start of the HT.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Sep 2016 at 14:29

Thank you Lyn

I would be interested to contact the person if you happen to remember who it was.

I will try and find out what the cost would be if I cannot get support from the NHS.

Don

User
Posted 06 Sep 2016 at 15:30

It was stonecold - I am not sure if he still logs in but you could try messaging him. Here is his thread as he made the decision http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t7697-Breast-surgery-for-gynecomastia#post122196

Stuc was going to have it but I am not sure he ever did.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard