I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Knowing your surgeon

User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 10:43

I have got a date for my robotic surgery at last (end of this month).

I saw the surgeon twice.  I didn't form a particular bond with him actually, but asked myself if that really matters.  Then when I rang back to confirm the time for the operation I was told the name of the surgeon who would be doing the operation - a completely different person!

Do people think it matters if a) you have met your surgeon before the day of your op and B) if you clink with them.

Anyway, I have asked for a meeting with this new surgeon.  I wouldn't reject him, because I don't know on what basis I would do that anyway, and I do want to get this over with,  but I do feel I would like to know whom I am going to have to trust.

It all makes one feel like a statistic or that this is all rather minor and routine when it feels anything but.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 10:58

Hi johnjl,

It's a matter for you, if indeed it matters at all?

When I opted for my RRP at Reading, I was met and introduced to the idea and procedure, and assessed by one surgeon.

On the day of the op a complete stranger walked in and introduced himself as the surgeon.

I related to him better straight away.  And when we had a discussion about what he was hoping to do and achieve, and what I wanted him to do and achieve, I felt confident that we understood each other.

3 years 5 months down the line, pretty much a full recovery.  Courtesy of a surgeon I met on the morning.  I Google'd him afterwards, he had a good record.

But, you can go for the one with the best results, the nicest, the one you might like to have a beer with, all that matters is what they do on the day and what your insides are like.  If they have an off day or your insides just do not cooperate, unlucky.  Or you go for a 75% success rate surgeon who has a good day and your bits are all in place and you are lucky?

There are no guarantees. 

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 11:37

It's important that you have confidence in your surgeon and there is nothing wrong with doing a bit of checking.

All surgeons have to learn on somebody, but I'm sure most of us would rather say they wouldn't want it to be us!

I've had personal and life changing experience of this so I don't speak lightly. I checked with my very nice surgeon that he was actual going to do the op and he assured me he was going to oversee it. I should have delved deeper to make sure.

Yes he was in the room, I talked to him as I was awake due to an epidural. I didn't at the time think of what was happening and by whom while I was busy asking him questions. He left one of his students to do the op and it didn't go well for me, all due to inexperience.

Find out how many successful operations the new named surgeon has under his belt. He might have only done a few and all 100% successful. He might have done hundreds and only have a 50/50 success rate. You won't know until you find out.

This is a very important decision for you. Even with the most experienced and successful surgeon in the world there might still be life changing results, it does happen unfortunately and that's in the hands of fate.

What isn't though, is the confidence you have in the man himself, so be sure before you agree.

Your original scores were "light" so it's not as if you need to rush into this. Just be very very happy with who does what to your body.

I hope the surgeon is a very very skillful man to give you the best chance of a successful operation and afterlife. My fingers and everything else are crossed for you.

Best wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 14:19
J

The first time I met my surgeon he told me I had cancer, despite ny mind brain shutting down I did feel comfortable and confident with him.

I went for a second opinion with one of the top ten daily mail surgeons and was not impressed and reinforced my confidence in my original surgeon.

As a result of my stricture problems post op I was was transferred to the another surgeon, but had no confidence in him and quickly got back on the original surgeon's list.

Confidence in your surgeon is a big part of dealing with the cancer journey,but as the others have said experience and skill is possibly/probably more important.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 17:49

on the morning of my surgery, I was met by a surgeon who said sorry we cant do any nerve sparing, I was really deflated at that point and had not expected that,  almost immediately whisked of to theatre

the next morning I met another surgeon who told me that he had carried out the surgery and he had saved the nerves !

WTF you may ask, as I did....its chaotic, its the NHS...but I survivied,

I didnt volunteer for PC ,but this is the hand I've been dealt and I accept it

User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 18:57

I certainly wouldn't be bothered about the surgeons bedside manner just as long as they have plenty of experience and positive results both in term of removing the cancer and minimising side effects.

You've had some good advice above but I am now one of those people who does not believe in thinking you have time on your side. There are too many men, me included, who were told that time is on our side yet when the prostate is in the petri dish they discover the scans didn't show the full picture.

Bri

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 10:58

Hi johnjl,

It's a matter for you, if indeed it matters at all?

When I opted for my RRP at Reading, I was met and introduced to the idea and procedure, and assessed by one surgeon.

On the day of the op a complete stranger walked in and introduced himself as the surgeon.

I related to him better straight away.  And when we had a discussion about what he was hoping to do and achieve, and what I wanted him to do and achieve, I felt confident that we understood each other.

3 years 5 months down the line, pretty much a full recovery.  Courtesy of a surgeon I met on the morning.  I Google'd him afterwards, he had a good record.

But, you can go for the one with the best results, the nicest, the one you might like to have a beer with, all that matters is what they do on the day and what your insides are like.  If they have an off day or your insides just do not cooperate, unlucky.  Or you go for a 75% success rate surgeon who has a good day and your bits are all in place and you are lucky?

There are no guarantees. 

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 11:37

It's important that you have confidence in your surgeon and there is nothing wrong with doing a bit of checking.

All surgeons have to learn on somebody, but I'm sure most of us would rather say they wouldn't want it to be us!

I've had personal and life changing experience of this so I don't speak lightly. I checked with my very nice surgeon that he was actual going to do the op and he assured me he was going to oversee it. I should have delved deeper to make sure.

Yes he was in the room, I talked to him as I was awake due to an epidural. I didn't at the time think of what was happening and by whom while I was busy asking him questions. He left one of his students to do the op and it didn't go well for me, all due to inexperience.

Find out how many successful operations the new named surgeon has under his belt. He might have only done a few and all 100% successful. He might have done hundreds and only have a 50/50 success rate. You won't know until you find out.

This is a very important decision for you. Even with the most experienced and successful surgeon in the world there might still be life changing results, it does happen unfortunately and that's in the hands of fate.

What isn't though, is the confidence you have in the man himself, so be sure before you agree.

Your original scores were "light" so it's not as if you need to rush into this. Just be very very happy with who does what to your body.

I hope the surgeon is a very very skillful man to give you the best chance of a successful operation and afterlife. My fingers and everything else are crossed for you.

Best wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 14:19
J

The first time I met my surgeon he told me I had cancer, despite ny mind brain shutting down I did feel comfortable and confident with him.

I went for a second opinion with one of the top ten daily mail surgeons and was not impressed and reinforced my confidence in my original surgeon.

As a result of my stricture problems post op I was was transferred to the another surgeon, but had no confidence in him and quickly got back on the original surgeon's list.

Confidence in your surgeon is a big part of dealing with the cancer journey,but as the others have said experience and skill is possibly/probably more important.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 17:49

on the morning of my surgery, I was met by a surgeon who said sorry we cant do any nerve sparing, I was really deflated at that point and had not expected that,  almost immediately whisked of to theatre

the next morning I met another surgeon who told me that he had carried out the surgery and he had saved the nerves !

WTF you may ask, as I did....its chaotic, its the NHS...but I survivied,

I didnt volunteer for PC ,but this is the hand I've been dealt and I accept it

User
Posted 02 Sep 2016 at 18:57

I certainly wouldn't be bothered about the surgeons bedside manner just as long as they have plenty of experience and positive results both in term of removing the cancer and minimising side effects.

You've had some good advice above but I am now one of those people who does not believe in thinking you have time on your side. There are too many men, me included, who were told that time is on our side yet when the prostate is in the petri dish they discover the scans didn't show the full picture.

Bri

User
Posted 03 Sep 2016 at 09:21

I think it's bad manners not to be told in advance that the Consultant isn't doing it - though who knows who's better, him or his Registrar / Senior Registrar.

But I wouldn't worry too much - there are bigger issues, and there may be a good reason for a late change.