Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Statins and PCa

User
Posted 03 Sep 2016 at 19:29
Hello everyone

Since my dx in Dec 2014 with a psa of 235 I've been on Prostap and enzalutamide.

The last 20 months have been ok and I've continued with life as normal. The hot flushes have been a nuisance. The increasing fatigue has reduced my running activities down to doing 10k races. My psa has reduced and running at around .06 .

However since About June I started getting pain in my right chest which has slowed me down to jogging no further than 200 metres before the pain and breathlessness stops me going further.

After blood tests, X-rays and CT scans the only bad results seem to be a high cholesterol. So my GP says I've got Angina and prescribed statins, aspirin and beta blockers.

Now I've read a lot about cholesterol and statins effect on cancer and am very concerned about taking them.

I'd really appreciate anybody's thoughts , experiences about statins and beta blockers.

Paul

Edited by member 03 Sep 2016 at 22:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 12:34

I suppose the issue would be whether the statins slow the progression of the cancer, or simply keep the PSA falsely low?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Sep 2016 at 22:30

Hi Paul,

I have read that taking statins can reduce PSA levels but I have not researched it sufficiently to say whether this is correct. What I do know is that there are different types of statins and that in some cases some of these can adversely affect muscles of some men. The legs of a friend were affected and his GP stopped him taking statins. (I must contact him to see whether an alternative has since been prescribed. Incidentally, he doesn't have PCa but does have PIN and his PSA is regularly checked).

Barry
User
Posted 03 Sep 2016 at 23:21
I was taking Atorvastatin and had a lot of aches in my legs at night, my GP did warn me that this might happen and said he would change my prescription if I had a problem. I now take Rosuvastatin and don't have any problems.

Arthur

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 11:26

Paul,

My PSA is on the rise, see my profile. A retired GP friend of mine who had a RP a few years ago, recently made the judgement that he was persuaded by recent research that statins might help to keep his PSA down and decided to go on a small dose of Atorvastatin + 75mgs aspirin daily. I have not done any research into this. My next Onco appointment is on 20 September. Amongst other questions I will be asking her is whether it is worth giving statins a go. I'll report back what she says.

Re beta blockers. I had problems with heart palpitations last year, got carted off to A&E, given a beta blocker which sorted me out. My GP then put me on Bisoprolol Fumarate which I learned to hate with a passion; heavy legs and generally feeling crap. We agreed I could come off Bisoprolol after making some lifestyle changes and since then the old ticker has been OK and life has been as good as it can be given that I've got PCa.

David

Edited by member 04 Sep 2016 at 11:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 13:02

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I suppose the issue would be whether the statins slow the progression of the cancer, or simply keep the PSA falsely low?

Indeed, just what I am wondering.

Anyway, if anybody knows what the answer is it will be my Onco whom I trust implicitly.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 13:13

Tony tried statins for some months, with no obvious effect on either the advancing cancer or the rising PSA. He has stopped taking them now that he is in the terminal phase and has been advised that it's probably best to reduce the number of drugs his body systems have to deal with.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 22:48
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Sep 2016 at 22:30

Hi Paul,

I have read that taking statins can reduce PSA levels but I have not researched it sufficiently to say whether this is correct. What I do know is that there are different types of statins and that in some cases some of these can adversely affect muscles of some men. The legs of a friend were affected and his GP stopped him taking statins. (I must contact him to see whether an alternative has since been prescribed. Incidentally, he doesn't have PCa but does have PIN and his PSA is regularly checked).

Barry
User
Posted 03 Sep 2016 at 23:21
I was taking Atorvastatin and had a lot of aches in my legs at night, my GP did warn me that this might happen and said he would change my prescription if I had a problem. I now take Rosuvastatin and don't have any problems.

Arthur

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 11:26

Paul,

My PSA is on the rise, see my profile. A retired GP friend of mine who had a RP a few years ago, recently made the judgement that he was persuaded by recent research that statins might help to keep his PSA down and decided to go on a small dose of Atorvastatin + 75mgs aspirin daily. I have not done any research into this. My next Onco appointment is on 20 September. Amongst other questions I will be asking her is whether it is worth giving statins a go. I'll report back what she says.

Re beta blockers. I had problems with heart palpitations last year, got carted off to A&E, given a beta blocker which sorted me out. My GP then put me on Bisoprolol Fumarate which I learned to hate with a passion; heavy legs and generally feeling crap. We agreed I could come off Bisoprolol after making some lifestyle changes and since then the old ticker has been OK and life has been as good as it can be given that I've got PCa.

David

Edited by member 04 Sep 2016 at 11:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 12:34

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 13:02

Indeed, just what I am wondering.

Anyway, if anybody knows what the answer is it will be my Onco whom I trust implicitly.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 13:13

Tony tried statins for some months, with no obvious effect on either the advancing cancer or the rising PSA. He has stopped taking them now that he is in the terminal phase and has been advised that it's probably best to reduce the number of drugs his body systems have to deal with.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 22:48
User
Posted 20 Sep 2016 at 18:27

A retired GP friend of mine who had a RP a few years ago, recently made the judgement that he was persuaded by recent research that statins might help to keep his PSA down and decided to go on a small dose of Atorvastatin + 75mgs aspirin daily. I have not done any research into this. My next Onco appointment is on 20 September. Amongst other questions I will be asking her is whether it is worth giving statins a go. I'll report back what she says.

Saw my Onco today and her verdict was:

Statins - nope, she didn't believe they would have any beneficial effect.

75mgs aspirin daily - yes, worth a go, they won't do any harm (providing they are taken with food) and maybe just maybe they might help.