I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What a last 6 months

User
Posted 07 Sep 2016 at 00:48
Well I hope my next 6 months will be better.

I'm sorry to moan but i just need to get this off my chest.

In May I completed what was probably (but hopefully not) my last run when I got round the Manchester 10k in a half decent time.

After that things went downhill steadily until by June I couldn't stagger 100 metres without a heavy chest pain and getting out of breath.

I thought up to that time it was due to my fall in April which tore my shoulder ligament so didn't bother too much.

I thought the fatigue was a side effect of my PCa treatment and so plodded on regardless.

My wife and I went off to France for a period and it was then that the running became very painful so off I went to the French doc.

They tested my blood, x rayed me and ct scanned me.

I had a bit of a scare when after the x ray the doc said gloomily that the PCa looked like it had spread to my lung.

She sent me for a scan which showed just a nodule or two but not cancer - phew scare over.

However she says we've found you've got a broken rib. This was new (which was missed by my English docs) soI thought this must be the reason for the chest pain.

Meanwhile the holiday ends and we head back home for my next Oncologists appointment

Before this I goes to my GP armed with all my x rays and scans and he diagnoses me with angina and sends me off for an English x ray, blood test and cardio stress test. The blood test is ok but my cholesterol is 8.8 which seems to confirm his dx of angina.

I'm still waiting for the other results but have been prescribed aspirin, statins and beta blockers because according to his calculation I've a 25% chance of having a heart attack in the next 10 years.

Anyway then I go to my onco appointment.

As usual get a copy of my blood results before I go in. Great results but significantly no psa result. Of course I fear the worst.

My onco is running late so after 45 minutes wait out comes her registrar to see me. She collects all my recent history and then goes off to see the onco about whether the Enzalutamide tabs I'm taking as part of the Stampede Trial might be affecting my heart and if they are then I would have come off the Trial and just stay on the Prostap.

Oh goodness thinks I this is not what I want to hear.

After sweating 5 minutes (or maybe it was just another hot flush) she returns to tell that the Enzalutamide doesn't affect the heart.

Interestingly she said that abiraterone does effect the heart. This is a drug I started on in Jan 2015 on the same Stampede trial but stopped taking it (on advice from onco) 3 months later.

So I'm still on the Stampede Trial.

Psa result - well it was .04 continuing the levels over the last 18 months

How did I feel after the appointment - the only word I could find was drained.

This Thursday I have my GP appointment to review his tests (if he's got his results by then) and hopefully we fly back to France on Saturday

Thanks for listening to me

Paul

Edited by member 07 Sep 2016 at 20:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Sep 2016 at 14:58

Paul, you are having a somewhat unsettled ride at the moment. Uncertainty about what the problem is always creates the most anxiety as you cannot resolve what to do whilst it could go down a number of directions. So hopefully this can get resolved and you will know where you are going forward. Interesting comment about the heart and enzo as I am heading that way.

Hope you get to feel better and get back to being active which is important for you.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2016 at 14:31

Thank you Andrew and Yorkhull.
Seeing as my psa is still good and low you are right Andrew I should switch attention to Cardio for a bit.
Yorkhull I will certainly be glad when I know where I'm going, it is the frustration and its that I think that got me to post.
I think I'm settling now, seeing GP this pm but I don't think my cardio results are through yet so can only talk about blood results. Anyway I've started the statins and the aspirin but think this will not help the angina so may have to wait see if I need stents then hopefully can get back to my running to help keep the PCa down or at least get me in better shape for the next stage which might be chemo.

Thank you

Paul

Edited by member 08 Sep 2016 at 14:32  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Sep 2016 at 14:58

Paul, you are having a somewhat unsettled ride at the moment. Uncertainty about what the problem is always creates the most anxiety as you cannot resolve what to do whilst it could go down a number of directions. So hopefully this can get resolved and you will know where you are going forward. Interesting comment about the heart and enzo as I am heading that way.

Hope you get to feel better and get back to being active which is important for you.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2016 at 14:31

Thank you Andrew and Yorkhull.
Seeing as my psa is still good and low you are right Andrew I should switch attention to Cardio for a bit.
Yorkhull I will certainly be glad when I know where I'm going, it is the frustration and its that I think that got me to post.
I think I'm settling now, seeing GP this pm but I don't think my cardio results are through yet so can only talk about blood results. Anyway I've started the statins and the aspirin but think this will not help the angina so may have to wait see if I need stents then hopefully can get back to my running to help keep the PCa down or at least get me in better shape for the next stage which might be chemo.

Thank you

Paul

Edited by member 08 Sep 2016 at 14:32  | Reason: Not specified