I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Breast cancer, now prostate cancer - breast cancer

User
Posted 11 Sep 2016 at 23:06

It turns out around 30 per cent of men who get breast cancer go on to develop prostate cancer. Now, two years post treatment, and with no evidence of this disease, I've been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Following a MRI two weeks ago that clearly showed a growth on the prostate, my urologist did a biopsy and has diagnosed a medium-grade prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 7B and a stage T2 to 3. Last week I had a PET scan to ensure the disease has not spread to other parts of the body and it has not. Doctor thinks my BRCA1 gene, which was a possible cause of by breast cancer, may be responsible for the PC. 

I'm booked in for a robotic prostatectomy in a couple of months. I have an excellent surgeon for the job and I've complete confidence that I'll have a positive outcome. 

This looks like a great forum, so I'll likely be posting.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 02:24

Hi Rod,

Welcome to this forum though sorry for the reason you join us. If the name given under your Bio is your true name you may wish to consider removing your surname a this helps confidentiality.

Bad luck to have PCa having had Breast cancer. You have clearly given some thought to your treatment and it is good you have an excellent surgeon for your forthcoming op. Do let us know how it goes.

I see you are from OZ and would mention that that there is a very good site which was set up by an Australian, Terry Herbert, an occasional contributor to this forum some years ago. Sadly, Terry died some months ago having lived many years with PCa but his site YANA (You Are Not Alone Now) continues and you may also find this of interest. http://www.yananow.org/

Barry
User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 08:32

Welcome to the site TT

As you say, this is a great forum and supporting others in the same boat is what we do best.

Good luck with the op. Keep up that positive outlook.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails