I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Care package for father in law

User
Posted 19 Sep 2016 at 17:17

My 70 year old father in law was diagnosed with prostate cancer (Gleeson 4+5) a few months ago and is about to undergo a month of radiotherapy treatment. We live quite far from him and my mother in law so don't get to see them as much as we would like. I'd like to send him a little care package and wanted some advice or what I should (and should not) include.

I know he's likely to feel tired and not up to much so thought some DVDs and easy reading magazines would be good to keep him occupied with little effort. He has a big sweet tooth so some treats too! I know that he can't put anything on skin that his oncologist hasn't approved so no creams or lotions. Is there anything else that you can recommend?

Thanks 

User
Posted 19 Sep 2016 at 19:42
Hi Rachel

I honestly haven't a clue how to answer but just wanted to say that this is a lovely idea.

Love

Devonmaid

User
Posted 19 Sep 2016 at 22:13

Hello Rachel and welcome

What a lovely idea and, like Devonmaid, I'm not sure I can add to your list. Does F in L also like the radio? Does he have a little portable one (with headphones) that he can while away the waiting hours at hospital listening to?

Does he like word searches or sudoku, things like that? If he does then not only the books but pencils and sharpeners too perhaps.

I'm sure whatever you send him he will appreciate as will your mother in law. Speaking of which, perhaps add a treat for her too. I'm sure she has had a lot of worry since her husband was diagnosed. Father in law might have to be careful with creams but a pretty bottle of hand care or something for ma in law wouldn't go amiss maybe?

I'm sure those men who have undergone the RT will have a better idea of helpful treats.

What lucky parents in law you have!!

Edited by member 19 Sep 2016 at 22:14  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Sep 2016 at 05:42

belguim choc everytime for me yum yum

but seriously what a great idea and a wonderful thought

regards

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 20 Sep 2016 at 09:36

One of those stretch exercisers for abdominal muscles would be good: the other goodies may encourage him to sit around, and radiotherapy saps the will to exercise, while hormone treatment (which often follows) reduces muscle tone and can encourage weight gain.

Lovely thought, though!

User
Posted 21 Apr 2017 at 17:13

Thanks all for your great ideas.

In the end we sent a parcel of DVDs, magazines, crossword puzzles and chocolate. He was very touched and still has the card we sent up on the book shelves!

His radiotherapy was very hard going, physically and emotionally, on both him and MIL but successful and his Gleeson score now under 1! Unfortunately, the cancer has spread to his bladder and we are waiting for a rescheduled date for an operation to remove the two tumours as the original date was cancelled due to concerns about his heart.

User
Posted 21 Apr 2017 at 17:34
Just to reassure you my husband found that the group of men who were undergoing radiotherapy with him were just like a little club and he looked forward to seeing them daily, he would often have a chat with them and he gained a lot of support from being in the same boat as the other men. But, a lovely thought nevertheless, he reckons a box of biscuits for the staff as big thank you for their kindness. I do hope it all goes smoothly for your father-in -law
User
Posted 21 Apr 2017 at 23:26

Well done Rachel, nice thought and well received. I take it you meant his PSA (rather than Gleason, which is assessed at Biopsy), is now sub 1

Hope he continues to recover from any side effects that RT can induce.

Barry