Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo with a heart condition.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2016 at 13:23

Hi,

I noticed someone mention that they were not considered for chemotherapy because of their heart condition.

I've never really thought about this but as many of you know I had a heart attack in November 2014 and I have Coronary Heart Disease which is controlled but will never be cured.  Therefore, if my cancer does start to grow again, will this stop me having chemotherapy treatment if at any time it is required?

I know certain treatments for one condition can have an effect on another condition, if you have both.  I've always wondered if my heart attack may have been caused, partly, by my hormone and radiotherapy treatment.  I had my heart attack only two weeks after finishing radiotherapy when I was suffering from intense rectal bleeding. 

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks.

Steve

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 17:51

Well, nobody else seems to have an answer Steve and I don't have the knowledge.

Would one of the nurses on here be able to help you?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 19:20

Hi Steve,

I have a friend who had a heart bypass something like 25 years ago and he is now dealing with cancer of the oesophagus. He has chemotherapy but periodically his heart is checked and any problem however temporary can put a stop to his chemo until his heart consultant gives the all clear to his oncologist. This is a simple explanation of his situation as I understand it. If you are concerned about this I think your question would be better answered by your medical team(s) rather than here on the forum.

Alan

User
Posted 22 Sep 2016 at 13:51
Thanks Alan & Sandra,

Good advice. I just wondered if anyone here had been faced with the same situation.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Sep 2016 at 23:55
Hi Steve,

It was explained to us at the beginning of our journey that because of the heart attacks that Trevor has had that chemo would be a last resort and that has been the case so far. It would put a tremendous strain on his heart . He has only 35% heart function with 8 stents fitted and 2 of those have had to be reinflated.

Yes it does make treatment options limited but you are a very long way from needing to worry about it.

We are still here 3 plus years on my advice would be don't worry about tomorrow because it may never happen but live every day to the fullest.

BFN

JulieX

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 01:52
Hi Julie,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not really worried about reaching that stage where it would be an option but I was just curious if heart problems could get in the way of further treatment.

I feel far more settled about my situation in spite of my PSA rises since Christmas. I know my PSA results in December, could go either way, but I will face that when I have them.

My oncologist has told me, on several occasions, that even if they've got rid of the cancer this time, it's highly likely to come back again in the future, but that might not be for ten years or so. I'd be ok with that because I've been very lucky.

Thank care.

Steve