I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Slight disappointment

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 20:14
I went to see the onco on 19th September to get PSA results following salvage RT which finished on 23rd June. PSA prior to salvage RT was 0.5 so I was a bit disappointed to find that it is now 0.6 It wasn't my normal onco and she didn't seem able to tell me what this might mean.

She said to have another PSA in Dec followed by another in March so that they can check the doubling time. Chances are that they might then start hormone therapy. Does it sound as though this means the cells were not in the prostate bed and have migrated ? I am not worried as I am happy to press on from day to day but just wordered if anyone has any thoughts.

Kind regards to all.

Kevan

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 22:08

Hi Kevan
I'm sure you are familiar with my story. All our journeys are different , and no two PCa"'s seem to be the same. My numbers are different to yours but I avoided RT on the basis my Onco said it wouldn't cure. I think some of the more clever people on here say it is normal for the psa to bounce initially after RT. Kind of like a teenager having a strop !! But why your Onco wouldn't say that I don't know ?? Wait till December and you will have a real idea , as will I. Hoping the very best for you
Chris

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 22:34

What I always find surprising is that some oncos give salvage RT without HT. In your case, this makes it quite hard to know what to expect in terms of PSA results as all the common data is about PSA after RT / HT combo.

What is definite is that a) PSA doesn't always drop immediately after RT and b) RT continues to work for up to 18 months after the treatment so you expect to get your nadir a year after treatment or even later (in John's case, it was 2 years post salvage RT)

As Chris says, you will have a better idea in December.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 22:52

Hi Kevan,
I followed a similar path to yours - my PSA results 'plateaued out' (in the onco's words) after salvage RT.

Might be worth pressing for a PET/MR or PET/CT scan, preferably the former.

Best wishes,
Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 22 Sep 2016 at 08:01

Hi Kevan

Following my follow up RT. The oncol would not test my PSA until 6 months after it had finished so there had to be a reason for that. My lowest PSA was achieved 2.5 years after the RT was completed

Bri

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 22:08

Hi Kevan
I'm sure you are familiar with my story. All our journeys are different , and no two PCa"'s seem to be the same. My numbers are different to yours but I avoided RT on the basis my Onco said it wouldn't cure. I think some of the more clever people on here say it is normal for the psa to bounce initially after RT. Kind of like a teenager having a strop !! But why your Onco wouldn't say that I don't know ?? Wait till December and you will have a real idea , as will I. Hoping the very best for you
Chris

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 22:34

What I always find surprising is that some oncos give salvage RT without HT. In your case, this makes it quite hard to know what to expect in terms of PSA results as all the common data is about PSA after RT / HT combo.

What is definite is that a) PSA doesn't always drop immediately after RT and b) RT continues to work for up to 18 months after the treatment so you expect to get your nadir a year after treatment or even later (in John's case, it was 2 years post salvage RT)

As Chris says, you will have a better idea in December.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 22:52

Hi Kevan,
I followed a similar path to yours - my PSA results 'plateaued out' (in the onco's words) after salvage RT.

Might be worth pressing for a PET/MR or PET/CT scan, preferably the former.

Best wishes,
Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 22 Sep 2016 at 08:01

Hi Kevan

Following my follow up RT. The oncol would not test my PSA until 6 months after it had finished so there had to be a reason for that. My lowest PSA was achieved 2.5 years after the RT was completed

Bri

User
Posted 22 Sep 2016 at 08:45
Morning all

Thanks to everyone for the responses which have all confirmed that this is a bit of a confusing time so just wait unail the mist has cleared a bit. It looks as though the onco didn't say much as truthfully there was nothing really to tell apart from the facts. Back to feeling relaxed. Thanks again everyone.

Kevan