Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

32 year old

User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 03:22
Hello guys

My father had a radical prostectomy 2 years ago and my brother who is 38 year old has been diagnosed today. I am besides myself with worry and convinced I have Pca.

Are there any younger people on here?

Thanks

Mick

User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 15:03

Best wishes Mick. I hope and expect you will be fine. I'm one of the babies on here being operated on at 48
Chris

User
Posted 01 Oct 2016 at 11:03
Hello lads

Good news. Psa is 1.6 although at my age they would expect 1.5 so not too worried. My DRE was fine too so they have put me under active serveillance and to recheck psa every 3 months.

Fingers crossed now for my brother

Cheers

Mick

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 10:47

Mick,

At 32, it's very unlikely you have PCa but with your dad and brother being diagnosed, it does place you in a higher risk group.

For peace of mind I would arrange to see your GP where you can discuss your concerns, your family history and perhaps have a PCA test.

It's something though you should keep your eye on as you get older.

Flexi

User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 11:03

Thanks for your reply. Life is just so unfair. I don't drink, don't smoke and I'm a veggie. It may sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself but this is like nothing I've experienced.
I suffer from a lot of back and leg pain and have convinced myself I've got advanced Pca.

Apologies for being so depressing

User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 11:06

Hello Mick and welcome.
I second what Flexi says.

To put your mind at rest go and see your GP. If he won't do a PSA at this stage then ask him to make a note on your records that both your dad and brother have been diagnosed.

It doesn't follow that you will definitely develop PC but it does mean you are at greater risk so you must keep a check on it.

At 32 you have a long life ahead of you. If you develop PC at 32 you will still have a long life ahead of you, just one where you have been treated.

No point fretting over what might be. Sort out a test with your surgery and take it from there. IF the GP agrees to a test, make sure that you do not ride a bike of have sexual intercourse for 48 hours before hand as these can give a false reading.

Prostate cancer (especially when it is detected early) is not a death sentence. Worrying yourself to death might not be a good idea!!

You have every reason to be concerned, but be proactive instead of worrying.

If you get the test done and it comes back with a score then please tell us and we can advice you. We cannot advice you to do anything at the moment except don't worry and do something about getting tested.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 12:45

Physio Mick

Just to add the good advice given. My father died of prostate cancer and the age of 81, I was diagnosed at 62, my brother who is 3 years my senior as an undetectable PSA, so siblings can be at a higher risk but it does not automatically mean they will develop PCa.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 13:16
Thanks lads.

Had my bloods done today hopefully get results tomorrow or Monday. Hoping its tomorrow

Thanks for your support!

Edited by member 29 Sep 2016 at 13:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 15:03

Best wishes Mick. I hope and expect you will be fine. I'm one of the babies on here being operated on at 48
Chris

User
Posted 01 Oct 2016 at 11:03
Hello lads

Good news. Psa is 1.6 although at my age they would expect 1.5 so not too worried. My DRE was fine too so they have put me under active serveillance and to recheck psa every 3 months.

Fingers crossed now for my brother

Cheers

Mick

User
Posted 01 Oct 2016 at 11:43

Brilliant news Mick, thanks for getting back to us.

Active surveillance is good. Just make sure you don't get complacent and miss any tests. With your family history you need to keep on checking. That way you'll know asap when you need to have anything done.

The earlier PC is detected the more options you have.

Fingers crossed indeed for your brother. Hopefully his PC too will have been detected early enough for a lot of choices to still be available to him.

Best Wishes to all of you

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Oct 2016 at 11:52

Thanks Sandra.

I won't ever be complacent due to the shock I've had. Thank you for your kind words