Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

starting chemotherapy

User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 20:03
Hi all.

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was placed on tablets for one month and then hormone injections every 12 weeks. After bone scan/ct scans we found out that his cancer has spread to the bone, top of the bladder and lymp nodes on top of this, they found a tumour on his lung.

Fast forward a month, the tumour was removed at 11 cm and was non cancerous (some good news!) however, we are now facing chemotherapy and I have brought my self to this page to see if there is anyone who can share similar experiences, what to expect and how to cope.

Thank you

Edited by member 19 Oct 2016 at 20:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 00:43
Hi there,

I've been following this site for a couple of months now however this is my first post.

My father was diagnosed at the age of 56 only 3 months ago with metastatic prostae cancer. Like you the initial feeling is that of overwhelming doom and fear, however, that soon eases once you come to evaluate the dilemma and situation for what it is and I see that as, although an incurable disease, a well manageable illness. If you take some time to look at stories from people on this site you will see that there most certainly is hope and that all is not lost. Just because the disease is no longer curable doesn't mean that the end is anywhere near!

My father initially started hormone therapy every 3 months and has just received his 2nd cycle of chemo. Words like chemo initially spike fear in our hearts, however the build up was more daunting than the actually treatment, I know he still has another 4 cycles but so far, touch wood, his symptoms have been minimal. My father's urologist and oncologist have both reassured him that he has plenty of life left in him yet!

To answer your question with regards to coping I would suggest keeping away from Dr Google! This forum is fantastic and the people that use it are an inspiration, and although I haven't commented until today, they're posts have been very comforting.

Don't see this chapter in life as something devastating see it as an opportunity to reevaluate what is important.

I would advise to be open with your dad and discuss things. Once the dust has settled I am sure you you feel alot more positive.

I wish you, your father and family well and all those on this forum.

All the best

User
Posted 07 Oct 2016 at 14:25

Hi from me ,my OH was diagnosed the week before Xmas last year aged 55 .To say it was a shock is an understatement .having no symptons apart from 2 weeks of getting up in night .his PSA was 23 and Gleason 4+5 .having broken out of prostate and into lymph nodes he didn't have the option of RT or RP only hormone injections and chemo which scared the hell out of me ,the first chemo was a bit daunting as not sure what was going to happen but we needn't have worried everyone was so cheery and helpful .gary worked throughout only taking 1 sick day after session no 6 due to tiredness .He had minimal side effects and kept most of his hair mainly losing it on the body .he did have numbness in a few finger tips and 1 toe !! Which have all come back to life now .his PSA has been0.01for quite a few months now so the treatment has been effective for now .Gary is now on the stampede trial which involves a couple of extra meds to hopefully keep it at bay longer ,As MG11 has said try not to google .
I hope this helps a little, it does get easier ,luckily we have 4 fantastic children a new grandson and another due next month so lots to keep us looking forward
Debby

User
Posted 20 Oct 2016 at 10:32

Hi Dancing

So sorry to hear about your Dad. I am Gleson 9, T4n1m1a, spread to lymphs, I am 51.

I echo everything everyone else said about chemo, I got away relatively lightly too but did end up in hospital for a few days when my temperature took off one day.

I also managed to run marathons on weeks 13 and 15 of chemo and more since, my PSA dropped from 342 to 0.19 now so please be positive. I believe so much that if you believe you can do it you will, I do understand that it is so easy to allow oneself to drop into dispair but you don't have to. My mantra, "today is going to be a good day" and you know what, it usually is.

Stay positive, keep posting.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 06:50

Hello both Dancing and MG11 and a belated welcome to both of you (lurking eh!)

MG11 has given excellent advice Dancing and speaks from real chemo knowledge (which I don't have). The only thing I have picked up about the treatment is to take frozen pineapple sticks to suck as it helps to minimise some of the side effects in the mouth.

We do try and help where we can, even if it is only a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on.

I am sure you'll get a lot more support from others on the site who know what they are talking about , but repeat what MG11 has said.
All is not lost for your dad. Treatments evolve all the time, and some work better on others but they all offer hope.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 08:19

hi from me
having been through the 6 docetaxel chemo treatment, some things to remember to take with you, reading material, a soft drink and a snack
regards the treatment I coped very well with it, but not all do, you have to be aware that as it goes along you become more tired and at risk of infection
I purchased a thermometer to keep an eye on my temperature as if it goes above normal body temp you are advised to contact the hospital, I also carry a small hand fan for the hot flushs and a small bottle of hand gel, I keep all of these in a small man bag never thought I would need one but its a good bit of kit and helps with carrying a bottle of water

hope this helps

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 11:06

Tell dad Good luck from me.

Take each day (each session) one at a time. Try not to anticipate what the side effects following each one will be. They may be minimal, or none at all to speak of !

Best Wishes

He has you in his corner, not to mention the wonderful staff at the units.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 17:22
Good luck and stay positive

Debby

User
Posted 31 Oct 2016 at 17:04

Hi Dancing,

A quick welcome from me. I started chemo last oct (is that really a year!) and although not enjoyable it was a lot easier than I thought. The six sessions went quickly and you really get into the routine of blood tests, temperature taking, trying to get as many zero's on the little yellow sheet. My temp did fluctuate slightly over the 3 months but always kept an eye on it. My SE were minimal thank goodness. As your dads had first session things do begin to look brighter.
steven

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 00:43
Hi there,

I've been following this site for a couple of months now however this is my first post.

My father was diagnosed at the age of 56 only 3 months ago with metastatic prostae cancer. Like you the initial feeling is that of overwhelming doom and fear, however, that soon eases once you come to evaluate the dilemma and situation for what it is and I see that as, although an incurable disease, a well manageable illness. If you take some time to look at stories from people on this site you will see that there most certainly is hope and that all is not lost. Just because the disease is no longer curable doesn't mean that the end is anywhere near!

My father initially started hormone therapy every 3 months and has just received his 2nd cycle of chemo. Words like chemo initially spike fear in our hearts, however the build up was more daunting than the actually treatment, I know he still has another 4 cycles but so far, touch wood, his symptoms have been minimal. My father's urologist and oncologist have both reassured him that he has plenty of life left in him yet!

To answer your question with regards to coping I would suggest keeping away from Dr Google! This forum is fantastic and the people that use it are an inspiration, and although I haven't commented until today, they're posts have been very comforting.

Don't see this chapter in life as something devastating see it as an opportunity to reevaluate what is important.

I would advise to be open with your dad and discuss things. Once the dust has settled I am sure you you feel alot more positive.

I wish you, your father and family well and all those on this forum.

All the best

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 06:50

Hello both Dancing and MG11 and a belated welcome to both of you (lurking eh!)

MG11 has given excellent advice Dancing and speaks from real chemo knowledge (which I don't have). The only thing I have picked up about the treatment is to take frozen pineapple sticks to suck as it helps to minimise some of the side effects in the mouth.

We do try and help where we can, even if it is only a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on.

I am sure you'll get a lot more support from others on the site who know what they are talking about , but repeat what MG11 has said.
All is not lost for your dad. Treatments evolve all the time, and some work better on others but they all offer hope.

Best Wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 08:19

hi from me
having been through the 6 docetaxel chemo treatment, some things to remember to take with you, reading material, a soft drink and a snack
regards the treatment I coped very well with it, but not all do, you have to be aware that as it goes along you become more tired and at risk of infection
I purchased a thermometer to keep an eye on my temperature as if it goes above normal body temp you are advised to contact the hospital, I also carry a small hand fan for the hot flushs and a small bottle of hand gel, I keep all of these in a small man bag never thought I would need one but its a good bit of kit and helps with carrying a bottle of water

hope this helps

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 07 Oct 2016 at 14:25

Hi from me ,my OH was diagnosed the week before Xmas last year aged 55 .To say it was a shock is an understatement .having no symptons apart from 2 weeks of getting up in night .his PSA was 23 and Gleason 4+5 .having broken out of prostate and into lymph nodes he didn't have the option of RT or RP only hormone injections and chemo which scared the hell out of me ,the first chemo was a bit daunting as not sure what was going to happen but we needn't have worried everyone was so cheery and helpful .gary worked throughout only taking 1 sick day after session no 6 due to tiredness .He had minimal side effects and kept most of his hair mainly losing it on the body .he did have numbness in a few finger tips and 1 toe !! Which have all come back to life now .his PSA has been0.01for quite a few months now so the treatment has been effective for now .Gary is now on the stampede trial which involves a couple of extra meds to hopefully keep it at bay longer ,As MG11 has said try not to google .
I hope this helps a little, it does get easier ,luckily we have 4 fantastic children a new grandson and another due next month so lots to keep us looking forward
Debby

User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 09:36

Thank you so much. I can't express enough how helpful each and everyone of your comments are. Just reading back on all your wonderful comments on our way to dads first chemotherapy treatment which is keeping me positive.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 11:06

Tell dad Good luck from me.

Take each day (each session) one at a time. Try not to anticipate what the side effects following each one will be. They may be minimal, or none at all to speak of !

Best Wishes

He has you in his corner, not to mention the wonderful staff at the units.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 17:22
Good luck and stay positive

Debby

User
Posted 20 Oct 2016 at 10:32

Hi Dancing

So sorry to hear about your Dad. I am Gleson 9, T4n1m1a, spread to lymphs, I am 51.

I echo everything everyone else said about chemo, I got away relatively lightly too but did end up in hospital for a few days when my temperature took off one day.

I also managed to run marathons on weeks 13 and 15 of chemo and more since, my PSA dropped from 342 to 0.19 now so please be positive. I believe so much that if you believe you can do it you will, I do understand that it is so easy to allow oneself to drop into dispair but you don't have to. My mantra, "today is going to be a good day" and you know what, it usually is.

Stay positive, keep posting.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 30 Oct 2016 at 20:28
Hi all!

Wow Kev, that's amazing to hear thank you for sharing that! All the comments you all share give me a huge uplift, so thank you!

Dads first chemotherapy session done! The staff were absolutly amazing and made us all, as a family feel content. We all had a strangely 'nice' day! Dad felt upbeat after and surprisingly well.

About 5 days after we had a little scare of a temperature raise of 37.7 but dad felt absolutely fine the temperate dropped after half an hour to 37.2 and he had to signs of a fever etc.. He is on injections for the bone marrow to raise the white blood cell count and apparently this can cause a high tempurature? Also, has anyone experienced really bad bone pain from the injections?

Hope everyone is having a good day I wish you all lots of positive thoughts.

'' You matter, we care, you are not alone''

Hannah

User
Posted 31 Oct 2016 at 17:04

Hi Dancing,

A quick welcome from me. I started chemo last oct (is that really a year!) and although not enjoyable it was a lot easier than I thought. The six sessions went quickly and you really get into the routine of blood tests, temperature taking, trying to get as many zero's on the little yellow sheet. My temp did fluctuate slightly over the 3 months but always kept an eye on it. My SE were minimal thank goodness. As your dads had first session things do begin to look brighter.
steven