I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pls help Grandfather Prostate Cancer - Advanced prostate cancer,Enlarged prostate

User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 17:55

Hi my grandfather was diagnosed of prostate cancer on 22.05.2004 and PSA 43 thne doctors give Zoladex every month for next three months psa came down to less than 1. After the course of injection they decided to remove testes (Orchidectomy) on 25.08.2004. Psa came to normal range he was advised to take Calutide 50. He stopped it on 11.02.2015 PSA 11.73. Then on 09.07.2015 he was asked to start Honvan twice a day PSA 20.19. Then increased to thrice a day. However honvan is also not able to reduce the PSA, on 28/09/2016 one of the lab Lister Metropolis showed psa of 47.58. Next day 29/09/16 during the PET CT scan another lap named Anderson Diagnostics showed psa 65.8 and PET CT reports say with regional lymphnodal spread and retroperitonel lymphnodal metastases. He also has an enlarged prostate. Pls suggest other available options.

Thank You 

User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 23:11

Hi Neelesh, it is quite difficult to advise as the treatment options available in the UK may not be the same in India or might be available but extremely expensive. As your grandad had his testicles removed in 2004 it seeems quite likely that they were already aware then that his cancer had spread outside the prostate so he has done brilliantly to still be here 12 years later.

Honvan is not used in the UK but it is an oestrogen that is given to men when other hormone treatments don't work any more.Those hormone treatments are no good for your grandad because he already has no testosterone. In the UK the next step would probably be chemotherapy to try to extend his life a bit.

I hope you can find some information about chemo in India?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 23:12

Hi Neelesh,

Sorry the PCa of your grandfather is advancing despite treatment. I don't think we have any member sufficiently medically qualified to suggest the next treatment option. I suggest an appointment is made with Grandfather's consultant to ask what is considered the best option in his case, locally or if this is not available in India abroad in need, if this can be funded.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 23:11

Hi Neelesh, it is quite difficult to advise as the treatment options available in the UK may not be the same in India or might be available but extremely expensive. As your grandad had his testicles removed in 2004 it seeems quite likely that they were already aware then that his cancer had spread outside the prostate so he has done brilliantly to still be here 12 years later.

Honvan is not used in the UK but it is an oestrogen that is given to men when other hormone treatments don't work any more.Those hormone treatments are no good for your grandad because he already has no testosterone. In the UK the next step would probably be chemotherapy to try to extend his life a bit.

I hope you can find some information about chemo in India?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 23:12

Hi Neelesh,

Sorry the PCa of your grandfather is advancing despite treatment. I don't think we have any member sufficiently medically qualified to suggest the next treatment option. I suggest an appointment is made with Grandfather's consultant to ask what is considered the best option in his case, locally or if this is not available in India abroad in need, if this can be funded.

Barry
User
Posted 07 Oct 2016 at 00:43
Hi thanks for your reply. If there's some treatment available there I could speak to my oncologist here about it and check if there's something similar available here in India and if required I can travel to UK or USA if there is something better available there. Something Assuring to subside this for few more years. There are lots of diet, medicines like formula 23 and few more drugs and some vaccination to improve the immune system. Will these be of any help?