I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search



What hospital should I go to?

Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 14:56
Just wondered if any of you live in London or are having treatment in a london hosptal. A family member has just been diagnosed and is awaiying resultd of bond scan but wants to be referred to a another hospital but hiw csn you choose and woukd anyone recommend ?
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 16:05

Sorry your partner has been diagnosed with PCa. Could you share with us why he wants to change to another hospital? If it is because he feels it's all taking too long, this is frequently the case in London Hospitals and indeed in some outside London too. I am presently a patient at University College London Hospital (UCLH or UCL). They have some excellent consultants and state of the art equipment but progress in my experience and others who have commented on it takes a very long time to go through all the stages through to treatment. Their admin is terrible too, they keep getting things wrong so unless there are particular reasons to use them (I am in a trial there), I would not recommend. However, generally, all the major London Hospitals provide good treatment

Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 18:55
He's already on hormone treatment he was diagnosed and then the next day hormone treatment. They don't havd a specialist nurse so there's nobody to answer questions. They cocked up with his biopsy didnt explain anything and havent explained Gleason grades A copy of a letter came tiday and IT looks like the cAncer is agressive and advanced. This not been relayed to us so

I am a bit shocked. If he needs further treatment like chemo which was mentioned I expect he would be referred to barts or royal London??? We are at whipps x. I was looking today guys and at Thomas gave a good score when you compare websites.

Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 23:38

From what you say it does look like his PCa is advanced, and very possibly beyond the point where surgery was considered an option. The hospital to their credit did start him on HT immediately, which should help restrain his cancer at least for a time but very poor that his situation was not explained to him. Only after the bone scan has been considered will the diagnosis be complete and communicated to his GP and to him. He can ask to be copied into all correspondence about him.

The nurses on this charity are said to be very helpful and if it has not yet been obtained, a copy of the 'Tool kit' which explains much about PCa and is available from the publications section of this charity in the main part, could prove helpful.

It might be worth contacting the 'PALS' people at Whipps X to express dissatisfaction about inadequate communication and explanation so far.

As regards moving to another hospital, I think a referral will need to be made by your partner's GP or from Whipps X hospital if the latter is prepared to make one.

Edited by member 12 Oct 2016 at 23:57  | Reason: Not specified

Posted 13 Oct 2016 at 07:38
Thanks ive already spoken to pals they never phone me back. The urologist told my partner he would live a long life ... Hopefully that's true but will have to wait for none scan resukts which he should have done!! Anyway I will plod on and if it turns out words than what was explained to him he won't trust them and will want to be under a different team thanks
Posted 13 Oct 2016 at 13:24
Thanks. We will just wait for bond scan results and tgen request to change.
Forum Jump  
©2024 Prostate Cancer UK