I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Infamy, Infamy. They've all got it Infamy!

User
Posted 13 Oct 2016 at 23:58
Today was a day of bitter irony. In fact, there was more bitterness than in the whole of Schweppes and more irony in my life than in a Victorian foundry.

First of all, as I pulled back the curtains to my bedroom, a solitary magpie was hopping around on my driveway as if to say, "I know your PSA test is today and that you're a closet catastrophist but I'm still going to hang around anyway." His parting gift was to park his breakfast on my car as he flew off into next door's overgrown conifer which, over the years, has darkened my bedroom to the light levels of an Egyptian mausoleum.

Next, as I turned the ignition on, the car's tyre pressure warning light started to flash. There was no nail, no puncture. Just a conundrum of mounting stress to add to the day that had started with the one solitary and ominous Magpie. I chose to ignore it. Mrs C and I then proceeded to drive to the train station at 12 lunchtime (a usually dead time) only to find a queue of about ten people all waiting for the one out of the five ticket booths open. Smooth talking fox that she is, Mrs C went and chatted up the ticket inspector on the gate bypassing the queue and paying for our tickets directly; sadly, despite this, we missed our planned train by 30 seconds. After a further fifteen minute wait, we got onto the next train to take us into Guys in London and found the only two seats in the carriage only to be sandwiched between three screaming babies, a hoard of schoolgirls chattering about the their latest boyfriend, an old woman who had obviously no sense of person hygiene and a pensioner constantly rustling around in a seemingly bottomless packet of Werthers Originals like one of those annoying runts in the cinema with a packet of crisps.

Finally, at long last, we made it into Guys, a place that has become a second home these past six and a half years. As I entered the Urology department for what should have been a simple blood test, there was more humankind than at the Haj; each seat was taken and staff were racing around borrowing extra seats from the doctor's offices for the overflow. It was simply heaving with people on this, an ordinary clinic day. Cancer must be rife in London.

I surveyed my territory, my manor, checked in and filed past the newbies, their journeys mostly before them feeling a sense of ironic pride as I proudly wore my badge of honour in the Urology department. To my left, the good old flow test machine, to my right, familiar shelves of leaflets about PCa. In front of me lay the blood test ticket machine on the wall which I grabbed the ticket number, wait for it, 13. I opened the newspaper I'd found on the seat next to me. On one page was an advert about funeral plans, on the opposite page, pension plans. I was torn, unlike the newspaper. More irony. The old man next to me remarked on my shoes which had laces as well as a zip set up. He showed me his swollen foot and casually said, " I've got prostate cancer boy," as if I was in Urology for some kind of jolly. He was about 80, used a stick but was quite mobile aside from his swollen foot. "I was just admiring your shoes, where can I get some," he remarked. I didn't have the heart to tell him they were bought online from a high fashion retailer for people much younger than I and cost a King's ransom. The old man went on, "you wait till you get to my age son. Everything swells." Again, I didn't have the heart to tell the old boy that a) I will never enjoy the pleasure of reaching my 80's and b) my stage four cancer had already spread to my lymph nodes and it was only a matter of time until lymphedema affected me, probably in my leg, and that my high end USC trainers replete with lace and zip would be redundant and consigned to the bin. Finally, c) Since being on dual hormone therapy for the past two years, not very much swells these days!

And on that note the buzzer went off and the old man, ticket number 12, trundled in to have his blood taken. I thought it would only be a matter of time before I was in and out. I was wrong. The phlebotomist went on a jolly after taking the old boy's blood and it was only after an anxious half hour wait until my glorious number 13 was called out. As I entered the booth and sat down, I tried to break the ice with the person about to take my blood in the hope that they wouldn't tissue me or cause a DVT or extreme pain or some such by remarking on their accent. Desperately hoping that they would reply that they were from Poland (a place I've been to many times and know a bit of the lingo), they replied with a steely grey communist expression that they were Ukranian. Oh sh1t, the irony of it all.

After having my blood taken and walking out of Guys, instead of the wonderful sunshine that was before to greet me, the rain came down from a leaden sky as if to pour more woe on my day. The blood test results are on Monday. After a day like today, I'm expecting a northward spiral. Cancer, don't you just love it?

Edited by member 14 Oct 2016 at 07:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Oct 2016 at 02:05

I love your writing - pathos worthy of a published author. Also impressed that you got away with 'sh1t' ....

Fingers crossed for Monday my friend x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Oct 2016 at 02:18
Hi Bazza,

A brilliant piece of writing, as usual. Thank you for posting your experiences.

I'm so sorry your day didn't well. I seem to have days like that, though maybe a little less stressful, thank goodness. I don't think it would do my heart much good.

Can I wish you luck for a favourable PSA result on Monday, you deserve it after the day you've had.

All the Best,

Steve

User
Posted 14 Oct 2016 at 06:01

Thanks for telling us about your day. Dread to think what it would have been like if it had been Friday the 13th!
All the best for Monday and for the future.

Brian.

User
Posted 14 Oct 2016 at 08:31

Many thanks for the amusing writeup Bazza, hope the PSA result gives you some cheer. Puzzled that you have to go all that way just for a blood test. Here I just walk down the road to the local clinic, upstairs from the radiotherapy department which was my daily haunt earlier in the year, join a queue of about four, and back home in fifteen minutes. Even the main cancer clinic is just a half hour train ride from the station round the corner then a pleasant 15 minute walk along the canal in Reading. Rather strangely when I got there on Monday, quite early for my appointment, all the other patients were women. Normally it is packed out with men drinking water...

Best wishes for Monday.
Dave

User
Posted 14 Oct 2016 at 09:08
B

Well it brightened my day up.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Oct 2016 at 11:55

Well more crucially, let's hope the result is good!

Barry
User
Posted 14 Oct 2016 at 19:42

Bazza, I add my thanks for your story but offer my puzzlemenf at the blood test rigmarole. On Monday, sometime during the day, I shall have my samples taken at the local hospital - 10 minutes away - and by 10.40 in the morning my test results will be displayed on the screen in front of my Urology nurse as I sit beside him. That happens every month and this is out in the sticks. I thought it was usual in today's NHS. If not, why not?

AC in Northants

User
Posted 14 Oct 2016 at 22:26

Bitter irony Bazza?

Yep - but for those of us not undergoing the rigmarole you've just been through, very amusing. It's a bit like laughing at somebody slipping on a banana skin. You know it's an unkind reaction but you still laugh.

John was busy talking to me the other day and being nosy about what was happening in the local pub just across the road from where we were walking and he walked straight into the lamp post with such force it knocked him backwards and the clang when it happened was very loud.
What did I do? I cracked up !! I'm not normally that unfeeling but it was (for me at any rate) very slapstick. Fortunately, no long lasting effects and he won't let me forget that I laughed so hard.

You have a great humour and a great writing ability. What comes across is not pathos or any of those things, just a calm look at life as it is.

Thank you for that.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Oct 2016 at 09:53
Dave & AC

I go to Guys through choice as it was the hospital where I originally had surgery. I wish I could use a local hospital but the aim is to extend my life so I prefer London.

Bazza

User
Posted 17 Oct 2016 at 17:44
This morning, there were two Magpies in my garden, neither of which shat on my car. The sun was out all day and the train was on time. I think I deserved a bit of good karma - and I got it.....my PSA almost halved to 3.96. It seems the 12 weekly Prostap given six weekly in conjunction with the Enza is doing its stuff. Time to book another short break holiday!

Bazza

User
Posted 17 Oct 2016 at 18:19
B

Good news on the PSA, hope it continues.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 Oct 2016 at 19:21

Get the break booked and enjoy 😎

Bri

User
Posted 17 Oct 2016 at 19:30
And to those who ask why I choose Guys, today I visited their brand new £160 million dedicated cancer centre. State of the art, stuffed full of professionals, everything spick and span. Just great. Ultra efficient for stressed out people like me, it's well worth the trip.
User
Posted 17 Oct 2016 at 19:53

Great news!

Flexi

User
Posted 18 Oct 2016 at 07:10

Great news. Enjoy your break hope the sun is out and you don't get woken up by Magpies!

Brian.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2016 at 14:45

Great PSA result - just what you needed.

Barry
User
Posted 18 Oct 2016 at 15:01

great result enjoy your break Andy

User
Posted 18 Oct 2016 at 17:50
Great news.. enjoy the break.

KRO...

User
Posted 18 Oct 2016 at 21:34
Great result, Bazza. Here's hoping for many more. You deserve it.

Steve

User
Posted 18 Oct 2016 at 22:52

Thanks for a lovely piece of writing

User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 12:51

Great news. Enjoy that holiday !

Fiona.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 16:37
And they certainly have got it infamy!

The week started off so well with a PSA fall to 3.96, I felt I was walking on water. By the time Tuesday came around, I found that the water was a toxic quagmire of stress. Let me explain.

My dear youngest daughter is only 26. She's had it rough being in a wheelchair from the age of six to thirteen with bi-lateral Perthes Disease. She also contracted ME as a teenager and after one day on the job as a tour operator in Cyprus two years ago (something she'd always wanted to do), she got a DVT caused by a trainee who cannularised her incorrectly two days prior to flying out during an exploratory on her hips. She's also facing a double hip operation before she is 28 due to the damage done by the Perthes, has an auto immune disorder and two rare blood clotting issues.

She only recently felt well enough to apply for a new job with a UK travel agent but so impressed has the company been with her efforts (she can't work full time but can outsell the full-timers), they sent her on an 8 day jolly to, wait for it, the Maldives. She was due to fly out yesterday with the plan being me taking her to Heathrow in my car. This is where the fun begins. In the morning, my daughter starts getting sharp pains in one calf. With a twelve hour flight in front her and being high risk for a DVT and a stroke or death by PE, everyone was flapping. The magical Mrs C rushed her to Guys and pushed every button to get her blood tested and Doppler scanned before 3pm as we have to leave for the airport at 5pm. She performed miracles as she always does with me and the scan was clear, although the haematologist was not happy about her flying so far.

Back home after all the palaver and twenty minutes before I'm about to take her to the airport, Mrs C takes our car up to the shops to buy some mince for our tea. On the way back, just about to turn into our driveway, a backside builder's van tries to overtake her on the right and rips the whole of the front of our car off, rendering it completely immobile and probably a write off. I had no choice but to take my daughter to Heathrow using her car but everyone was a nervous wreck after what was a terrible start to the month. I felt like changing the lyrics to the Boomtown Rats' famous Monday hit to "Tell me why, I hate October," but didn't want to get embroiled in a law suit.

After a sleepless night tracking my daughter's progress over Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, India down to Sri Lanka, we finally received notification this morning that she hadn't died during the flight. She felt knackered yes, her legs were still achy yes, but she was ok.

And that my dear forum friends is our start to the month. Yesterday, there wasn't a Magpie in sight and although we all have our own sh1t to deal with, I bet mine has been worse than most.

Bazza

User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 17:36

Certainly worse than mine by a long shot.

What a catalogue of disaster.

Hope you daughter gets as much as she can out of the jolly. How brilliant that she has made such an impression on her bosses.

I hope tomorrow is a calmer day for you. I almost wish you magpies! since not having them wasn't exactly a success was it.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 21:46

Sometimes I have no idea how you keep going :-(

I hope she has a brilliant time - I love that our children find the world so much more accessible than we did when we were young things.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard