I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

tamsulosid and constipation

User
Posted 30 Oct 2016 at 12:59

hi,i have been on tamsulosin for a couple of months and i have found i have started to get constipated and some blood on toilet paper,could it be the piles i had a bit ago,anyone else have this problem,because i am thinking of stopping tamsulosin,any help please.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2016 at 15:47

Hi I have been on Tamsulosin for over two years and they have not made me constipated and I think they are not likely to be the cause of yours.

They are to help with not going so often for a wee at night in my case but generally they are for us old men with wee wee problems and do not affect the bowels.

Cheers Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 30 Oct 2016 at 19:46

I think a check with your GP would be sensible - could be the piles acting up because you are constipated and the constipation could be linked to you trying to eat different foods to what you were used to - but best to get a medical person to check it out. John had tamsulosin for years but never had constipation.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Oct 2016 at 21:46

Hi Michael,

I have to constantly watch my diet with one eye on constipation, rightly or wrongly I attribute this to the side effects of RT on my bowels.

Mostly I am OK if I avoid too many eggs and cheese, focus instead upon having plenty of cabbage, onions and beans.

It was at it's worse about a year ago, when I was 6-9 months post RT, and had had prostate infections which had to be tackled with antibiotics.  I think the antibiotics knock out a lot of beneficial bacteria in the gut.

If you are passing blood which is red, it isn't internal bleeding which would be black, its probably caused by having to force one out.

Whenever it gets too bad I go for the real ale, a few pints of Adnams or Greene King IPA usually restores my innards to rude good health, taken with a meal of cabbage, onions and beans, will usually get things moving.   

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2016 at 08:51

thankyou.