I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad is in too much pain. Need advice please!!

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 22:58
Hello everyone.

My dad has metastatic prostate cancer. It has spread to his spine .pelvic.ribs and skull.

He had many treatement hormone.radiation and chemotherapy.but psa is rising rapidly it s over 200 now.

My dad has came to visit me in london .he will be staying for a couple of mouths.but he is in tooo much pain.

His lower lip is numb and cries of oain all over his body.he is on morphine but still in pain.

I phoned the helpline and nurse thinks that he has spinal cord compression. And he should get treatment. I don't know what to do. He is not resident here so he is not registred with nhs and has to go privetly.thing that i can not afford.

I am just lost. Any help please.

Thank you

User
Posted 10 Nov 2016 at 04:43

Where is his country of residence Lila? If he has spinal cord compression he could be permanently paralysed if you don't get emergency treatment so perhaps best to call the ambulance and worry about who pays the bill later. There was something n the news recently about how slow the NHS is to recharge costs to the home nations of overseas visitors who take ill here.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Nov 2016 at 09:21
He is from Morocco. I took him to emergency last time and he was treated for constipation.i had no idea that he may be showing signs of MSCC.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2016 at 09:43

Call an ambulance and get him checked out

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Nov 2016 at 10:28

You need to find out what his options are - he needs to be seen by a doctor, preferably an oncologist. Can you get a letter from the doctor who treated him at home telling the story so far? that would help the UK doctor assess him.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2016 at 11:04
He has all the scans and MRI and psa tets with him.

User
Posted 22 Nov 2016 at 16:29

We've just now been alerted to this thread and I've removed several posts.

The #1 rule here is 'Be supportive' and this is a topic area for people to get support with advanced and metastatic cancer. It's not an area for debate about who should and shouldn't be entitled to NHS treatment, and this is certainly not the conversation for it. There are other topic areas where members can start their own threads about just about anything they want.

The original poster came here seeking help and advice on how best to care for her father who has terminal cancer and is in constant pain – it's not supportive to subject her to pointed questions and admonitions and to use this thread to air political beliefs about the poster's personal situation. The replies here about what the original poster should do next for her father are helpful; the conversation about what she or her father should have done differently in the past is not, and I've removed it from that point regardless of what the individual post was.

Please everyone keep in mind the purpose of this space when replying to people seeing support, and if you see a post that needs attention from the moderators please help us out by clicking the exclamation mark to flag a post.

Sadie