I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should biculatamide be continued

User
Posted 11 Nov 2016 at 14:58
Hello everyone. I hope you are having an ok week.

My husband took his last biculatamide tablet yesterday after 1 month (taken to prevent tumour flare.)

It is 3 weeks since his first Zolodex injection.

Today there is a phone message from the hospital about an appointment next week and the nurse also mentioned that my husbands PSA has gone down from 6700 to 'three hundred and something' (she didn't have the file in front of her for the exact number but said she wanted to pass on some good news.) There is no one at hospital we can call this afternoon but we have an appointment on Tuesday so can ask questions then ...

So is a drop from 6,700 to 300 in a month good / reasonable / poor?

Should we ask if my husband can stay on the mix of biculatamide and Zolodex (rather than just Zolodex) or is the bic irrelevant?

Does any this have any impact on possible chemo treatment starting next week (if his white blood cell count is ok.)

Thank you for any input x

User
Posted 11 Nov 2016 at 16:18

As nurse said PSA drop is good news. You're not being short changed by coming off bic at present. It's one of those if and when is the best time to add it into the mix of far many more choices of drugs/chemo nowadays that only your onco can decide on the way forward for each person.

Good luck

Ray

Edited by member 11 Nov 2016 at 16:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Nov 2016 at 16:33

I agree with Ray - your oncologist has many years of training and experience and knows what he is doing. Every man is diufferent so just because you see someone on here has had something doesn't mean it is right for your OH. Bicalutimide doesn't work for very long and the cancer can learn to turn it into food so the onco probably wants to keep it back for future use.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Nov 2016 at 16:39

Hi Sally

Our urologist said we should expect the PSA is drop by 50% each month so it sounds to me as if the drop from 6000 to 300+ in just one month is excellent. Everyone is different of course but it has to be good news. Hope it continues to drop like a stone!

Eleanor

x

User
Posted 11 Nov 2016 at 17:53

sallyyyy,

I agree with all of the above. A drop from 6700 to 300ish is more than a 95% decrease. Sounds good to me girl.

David

User
Posted 11 Nov 2016 at 20:43
Thank you everyone for the supportive replies