Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

No drug available!

User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 12:30
Hi All

Dad was due his injection for the cancer that has spread to his bones. We attended the time and place as requested on the letter, to be told he was missed of the list we would have to come back next week, today we get s phone call to say they have run out of the drug there be in touch. What is it with the service dad is getting anyone would think it's just a broken leg instead of advanced PC.

Also any ideas on a really special Xmas present difficult one!

X

User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 23:10

Hi Manda

I am sorry to hear about the way your dad has been treated. It's terrible

The best Christmas present you could give him would be to tell him how much you love him.

Nothing beats that.

If my children were still alive that is the greatest gift I would wish for.

x

Ray

User
Posted 25 Nov 2016 at 08:39

Manda, as Lyn says, if it's a Zometa (biophosphonate) injection, I wouldn't worry. My OH's oncologist sayid that there's now evidence that giving the drug at three-monthly intervals can work just as well as monthly.
Even If it's the hormone injection, there is still usually a few weeks time-lag before it really wears off. But keep nagging them, and try your GP. NHS funding is a mystery to me, but our GP's nurse sseemed happy to do the injection on request.

As for Christmas - it's hard, isn't it? An "experience" such as a ticket to a special event might hit the spot, if there's something suitable. Last Xmas, which we knew would probably be my husband's last (and it was), our daughters gave us National Trust membership, which gave us lots of pleasant days out for many months. I can't remember what I gave him - I think a bottle of good whiskey was in there somewhere! - but the main thing was to have the family around us and keep the day as normal and happy as possible, with good food, silly games, etc. Take some photos if you can.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 13:29

Sorry this has happened to Dad. Unfortunately, the NHS is struggling to cope and some areas seem more affected than others. Unfortunately, insufficient money and resources have been put into the service to cope with the growing need. Furthermore, unless more medical staff from abroad can be encouraged here to plug gaps, at least in the short to medium term, (I read that already up to a third of doctors are presently from abroad) - the situation won't improve for some time until a greater number of indigenous doctors are trained.

Barry
User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 13:53

My husband got a call from hospital yesterday to say his drugs were ready for collection.  As they're not due till next month he told them he'd be in next month.  I scolded him when I got home and told him I'd get them - you never know when they might stop supplying them!

User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 23:10

Hi Manda

I am sorry to hear about the way your dad has been treated. It's terrible

The best Christmas present you could give him would be to tell him how much you love him.

Nothing beats that.

If my children were still alive that is the greatest gift I would wish for.

x

Ray

User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 23:31

Roly, I am sure that if your children were still here they would tell you regularly how much you are loved x

Edited by member 16 Nov 2016 at 23:44  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 23:42

Manda, was it definitely his hormone injection that was due / out of stock or was it the Zometa? It isn't the end of the world if his zometa infusion is a bit late, as it isn't treating his cancer as such, it just helps his bones to stay healthy.

If he had been missed off the list then it doesn't surprise me that the hormone injection isn't available immediately - it may be very expensive stuff that the hospital only orders in exactly the amount they thing they need for the next week. Perhaps you could ask why he can't just have the injection at the GP surgery like most men do? Can you find out exactly which hormone he is on?

The other possibility is that they are thinking whether to change his treatment if adding bicalutimide hasn't made the big difference they were hoping for.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 23:55

Dear Lyn

x

Roly

User
Posted 25 Nov 2016 at 08:39

Manda, as Lyn says, if it's a Zometa (biophosphonate) injection, I wouldn't worry. My OH's oncologist sayid that there's now evidence that giving the drug at three-monthly intervals can work just as well as monthly.
Even If it's the hormone injection, there is still usually a few weeks time-lag before it really wears off. But keep nagging them, and try your GP. NHS funding is a mystery to me, but our GP's nurse sseemed happy to do the injection on request.

As for Christmas - it's hard, isn't it? An "experience" such as a ticket to a special event might hit the spot, if there's something suitable. Last Xmas, which we knew would probably be my husband's last (and it was), our daughters gave us National Trust membership, which gave us lots of pleasant days out for many months. I can't remember what I gave him - I think a bottle of good whiskey was in there somewhere! - but the main thing was to have the family around us and keep the day as normal and happy as possible, with good food, silly games, etc. Take some photos if you can.

User
Posted 25 Nov 2016 at 13:10
Totally agree Lyn

Bri