I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

On going

User
Posted 29 Jul 2021 at 14:25
Keep the faith and get some beer in him ….

Best wishes

User
Posted 29 Jul 2021 at 17:21

As GoalHanger says the PSA rise has slowed down. You probably don't realise how good that result is. When he was on HT and had no testosterone his PSA was artificially low, and when he came off HT and testosterone recovered then his PSA should return to it's "normal level". Now no body knows what "normal level" is for David, because all the time you have been aware of his PSA he has either had cancer or been on treatment for it.

Oncologists consider under 2.1 to be normal for someone who has had RT. If you plotted David's psa against time during and since treatment you would see a low flat line whilst on HT followed by a steep rise about a year after finishing HT and most importantly now signs of it levelling out at a "new normal level" which looks to be about 1.2. 

I know I am always optimistic and who knows what might happen, but if my PSA behaves like David's in the next couple of years (I'm about two years behind him) I will be very happy. So get down that pub and celebrate a levelling out of the PSA at a number well below what an oncologist would consider troublesome.

Edited by member 29 Jul 2021 at 20:02  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 15 Nov 2021 at 17:41

It’s that time again. David had his PSA on Friday and its come back at 2.3 the third rise in a row. As his PSA was only 8.8 at diagnosis the urologist is suggesting PET PSMA scans, not what we wanted to hear, he’s already been advised he can’t have HT due to his recent heart attack, and the urologist was reluctance to offer treatments in his last letter if the PSA went the wrong way. Having a low PSA at diagnosis with a high Gleason evidently needs monitoring closely.  He was due to have a t/c consultation tomorrow but this has been cancelled and rearranged in January. I’ve since spoken to the urologist’s secretary and sent an email to be passed on to him. ( this is Wales we can’t email the consultant directly, we might make a spelling mistake, or something heinous) so hopefully he can discuss the situation quite soon.  
This is not what he’d hoped for, but with a Gleason 9T3b has he just been lucky so far. Lots of colourful expletives come to mind but I’ll spare you, and leave it to your imagination. So we wait to hear from the urologist and try and keep positive.

Such a pain David is a very young 71, has lots of living to do and we are not ready to get old yet!! Such a bl**@y pain. 

Comments and advice, welcome.

Leila 

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 08:48

Sorry to hear David’s PSA has gone up again . Let’s hope it doesn’t go up anymore as it’s only just above the 2.1 they say is ‘normal’…

January is a long wait for his next consultation and I’d keep trying to bring it forward. Hope they will have some options ready then in case David’s PSA does rise again.

Thinking of you both .

Phil

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 10:25
Thanks Phil,

Our concern is, if it has returned David can’t have hormone treatment because of his recent heart attack. I see from you profile the HT seems to have reduced your PSA quite a bit,that’s good to read.

Hopefully he’ll get a call from the urologist after the email was sent off yesterday. David has been doing so well, he’s a stressy type who has found the last couple of years hard going, then who hasn’t. This last bit of news hasn’t done him any good.

Hope you are managing ok these days.

Thanks again for your support.

Leila

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 12:14

I didn’t know that heart problems restricted use of HT. Thats quite a blow and I understand your worries. Hopefully you’ll get into see the consultant before Christmas  and they’ll have some plan to move forward.

I must say the Zoladex is doing it’s job . Feels very different to the Prostap. I think more physical side effects but not so bad on my mind, so I’m grateful for that.

Take care

Phil

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 17:04

Sorry to hear about the PSA rise Leila, I think this has definitely turned it from a just returning to normal, into something which needs watching. I hope that next PSA isn't too far above this one. If HT isn't available I have no idea where to go next.

Dave

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 17:17
It may be a case of 'do no harm' ... while the PSA is still low it isn't going to kill him whereas heart problems might. Possibly, when the PSA gets much higher, it tips over the other way and the HT will be introduced because the benefit / risk analysis is clearer.

Trevor Boothe had serious heart problems including two heart attacks while on HT but they never stopped prescribing it. Steve has also had HT after a heart attack.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 18:19

Awaiting a call from the consultant, who is a real belt &` braces character. David's heart attack wasn't the worst, he only had one stent, and was told the other ' blockage' wasn't pivotal to his wellbeing. After a discussion with the consultant we will have a better idea.I just wish the cardiac team and and the other lot would converse a bit better. What we want to get discussed is the effect of the heart meds on his prostate etc, but this seems to be a bridge too far at the moment. Hey ho. 

Thanks for the replies.

Leila 

User
Posted 27 Nov 2021 at 12:57

So, David saw the urologist and he recommended a PSMA pet scan as the PSA has gone up to 2.3. David then receives a letter from the urologist apologising, and informing David he had been told David has to have a CT scan and an MRI scan before a PSMA pet scan will be considered. It seems the urologist has been overridden. I know his PSA is still low, but it was low at diagnosis which is the concern.
Now trying to get a quick discussion with the urologist to ascertain what’s the best move, cut to the chase and pay for a PSMA thingy, have the CT and MRI scan offered and see what happens. CT scan next week, MRI mid December.
Getting to discuss options with the urologist is not easy.
This is a pain, he’s recovered well from the heart attack, feels well and he has a lot of living to do. What he doesn’t want is a second rate service due to budgetary restraints or consultants pulling rank.

David hates hospitals with a vengeance and situations like this leave him running for the hills.
I’m trying to logically assess the best way forward as its my role.

Suggestions welcome.

Leila.

Edited by member 27 Nov 2021 at 16:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Nov 2021 at 13:54

Hi Leila,

You are not having to wait too long for the MRI and CT scan, if you start pushing for a PSMA scan you may delay these two useful scans, and as many people have posted on this site a PSMA scan can be cancelled several times due to problems with the tracer. So I would go with the flow, and once those two scans are done start pushing for the PSMA.

I can see that this is a lot more hospital visits than David would like. Maybe you should offer him a treat every time he goes to hospital. I'm told a trip to Peppa pig world is very good🐷.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Nov 2021 at 14:05

Dave, you’ve made my day! Peppa Pig World it is then. 

We have been chatting and decided to try and talk to the urologist  calling his secretary Monday morning. 

What we want to know is will having both scans and the PSMA scan over load  him with radio waves. I don’t want a glow in the dark husband. 😉

Leila 

Edited by member 27 Nov 2021 at 15:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Nov 2021 at 16:41
I am with Dave & the urologist here - go with the MRI and CT scan and then push for PSMA - the data from all three is much more reliable than the data from just one of them as we have seen with other men on here.

I think the risk from the prostate cancer is greater than the risk from the scans, and more short to medium term!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 14:58

Tomorrow is the third scan, David’s has had a CT,MRI and tomorrow he’s having an radioistropic scan. He seems to have recovered well from his heart attack in July, and been signed off. I hope one day the different medical teams will talk to each other, this doesn’t seem to happen now, sadly. His last PSA was 2.3, we hope to see the urologist in January to discuss the outcomes of his three scans. Fingers crossed for a good outcome and the appointment not being cancelled again. 

We have been doing all our usual stuff, David feels well, and we are planning a small but good Christmas with a few celebrations. 
We have been part of this group for over five years, a group that given us smiles tears, support, good advice and clear information.

So, may we wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and a heathly, 2022 to  each one of us.

Thanks for being there all of you.

Leila x

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 11:01

Hi Leila. 
Hope the scan went ok yesterday, and you get to see/hear from your consultant. I always felt my consultant was on top of things and knew all that was happening. I wonder if some hospitals are not so good at communicating internally amongst their own staff as others.
Good news David had recovered well from the heart attack. A weight off your minds.

Wish you and David a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Let’s hope 2022 is a better year for everyone.

Phil

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 14:45
And a happy, sociable and safe Christmas to you Leila

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 21:36

Hi Phil,

I was a day in front with my post, we were at the hospital today. Just got home, the hospital with this scanner is over an hour and a half away in Pembrokeshire. All done, and a letter posted to the consultant suggesting an appointment in January. We’ve done all we can do for now, just enjoy our  Christmas. 
While he was being scanned I secretly bought a cheeky bottle of champagne 🍾 

Hope you and yours have a good Christmas and New Year, thanks for your support Phil, it makes a difference.

Leila x

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 21:41

Thanks Lyn, We are planning a pleasant sociable safe Christmas, leaving all the scan stuff till next year.

I hope you and yours have a Safe Sociable and Happy Christmas.

Thanks for holding us together, your advice, common sense, and practical approach amongst all the emotional angst that can sometimes swamp us is invaluable. 

oh, I forgot the blessed humour and dry wit. 

Leila 

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 21:50
🤣🤣🤣

I don't think there are many head teachers or local authorities who would describe me as humorous right now - rough time for anyone who isn't doing their absolute best to protect children :-(

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 22:00

I’m sure you are the right gal for the job. I’m not practicing these days or having to make such decisions. I’m doing some supervision and other bits…. It’s hard times Lyn, keep doing the right thing.
Leila

Edited by member 20 Dec 2021 at 22:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 22:13

Always gotta do your best for the kids , I should know . Respect for your work 👏

User
Posted 21 Dec 2021 at 01:13

Quite, and we always will

Leila x

User
Posted 21 Dec 2021 at 10:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I’m sure you are the right gal for the job. I’m not practicing these days or having to make such decisions. I’m doing some supervision and other bits…. It’s hard times Lyn, keep doing the right thing.
Leila

If you ever fancy taking on a bit more, we should talk - I have a waiting list of supervisees! 

User
Posted 09 Feb 2022 at 17:54

David had his PSMA pet scan last week, and yesterday he had a call from the urologist. The cancer has woken up sadly and spread to his lymph nodes. His situation will be discussed at the next MDT mtg and he will be referred to an oncologist. 
Not what he wanted to hear. It seems treatment options are doxetaxel with hormone treatment of some sort, or enzalutamide. The urologist wasn’t sure if enzalutamide is funded in Wales, anyone know? 

David is not keen on chemo, he’s seen what it can do,but it will be discussed with the oncologist.
The scan results report will be posted to us, and we can have a good read, as the phone consultation is hard going, we were not prepared, and it was a bit difficult to digest all the information  with the emotional feelings washing about.

The urologist is good, but he dashes off his answers, takes questions and responds, but it’s hard to take it all in an unplanned call. 
I'm not sure why the urologist is recommending enzalutamide as David was doing well on prostrap for three yrs, it seems it is usually for castrate  resistant men, he was not resistant to prostrap at anytime.He is not an oncologist so, we have to wait and discuss when we can.

Im am pi##@d off and upset, but gathering my thoughts and questions.

Thanks for being there all.

Leila 

User
Posted 09 Feb 2022 at 18:17

So sorry to hear this Leila. I know how you must feel. Hope you get the treatment sorted out. I myself am just on Zoladex , nothing else , for the time being anyway..

Thinking of you both .

Phil

User
Posted 09 Feb 2022 at 19:19

Thanks Phil, these lymph nodes are a pain aren’t they. Seems you ‘boys’ are on a similar path. Please let us know how you get on.
Keep in touch and stay strong 💪 you G9 lads are magic.

Leila  

User
Posted 09 Feb 2022 at 19:36

Let’s hope those paths are long …. I don’t mind winding either 🙃

User
Posted 09 Feb 2022 at 22:09

Sorry to hear this news Leila, it really is a rollercoaster ride.

When Rob (hubby) was initially diagnosed with advanced PCa he was put straight onto prostap. When we spoke with oncology they offered him docetaxel or enzalutimide to have along the prostap.

My understanding was it was an alternative to chemo and it was for Rob to decide which he wanted first. I remember Lyn advised me at the time that because of covid they were offering enza instead of chemo because of risk of catching the virus….before this enza wouldn’t have been offered because of cost.

Wishing you both all the very best with all future treatment.

Elaine

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 00:25

Hi Leila, a number of different things going on here. Until fairly recently,
- chemo was only offered at end stage to reduce symptoms / prolong life - then research showed that if you give it early, the HT can be more effective and many men live longer
- as a result, chemo (docetaxel) at diagnosis (advanced PCa) or at recurrence with new mets became the norm in many areas
- enza / abiraterone - originally licensed / approved by NICE only for men who had become hormone refractory and only after they have tried docetaxel
- research then showed that abi / enza given early (while men are still hormone dependent) can make HT more effective for longer - but NICE declined to approve it (because it costs a lot more than docetaxel) except for men who are hormone refractory and have alreaady had chemo or can't have chemo for some reason
- then Covid happened and hospitals didn't want to be bringing men in for chemo if they could avoid it, so enza was approved by NICE on a temporary basis even for men who are hormone naive or hormone dependent

One of the few silver linings of Covid! I suspect that NICE will withdraw permission in the near future for enza to be used this way but while it is still available, it seems to be a no-brainer to me. All Wales Protocol has also approved enza for newly diagnosed / newly recurrent, hormone dependent men - see here https://openrepository.awttconline.uk/app/serve/resource/pcpr7195 

There is also now apalutimide as well as enza and abi but apalutimide is not approved in Wales as a Covid alternative to chemo

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 11:53

Hi Lyn, Thanks for that. I'm hoping he can access the enzo, as I doubt he'd cope with the chemo very well. He gets a jippy tummy very easily, skin rashes, he is a sensitive soul, unlike me. 😉Now in the waiting game for MDT to discuss options.

Currently wishing I was still a smoker, but thankfully I have none in the house!I gave up 25yrs ago. The craving seems strong today. I might have to go into town and stand downwind.

Thanks again.

Leila 

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 18:30
I have chaired a serious case review today - lots of fags since I logged out and entirely possible that some practitioners will now take up smoking and blame me.

Enzalutimide is technically a form of chemotherapy so it will be important to get a thermometer to monitor his temperature, and to minimise exposure to poorly people (honestly, we are probably all doing that anyway). Fingers crossed for you, my friend x

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 19:58

HI Lyn,

Ooooh, I used to chair referral panel every Thursday in my smoking days I’d puff away afterwards, blimey that was a blast of memories. So I can appreciate the funding issues and the pressures, related to treatments, but as a dear friend said, you are an fu£%ing punter, and he’s yer man. Wales is still quite careful about covid, and still has measure in place, so he might get it. 
I’ve got all the thermometers and such I’m well prepared. I just hoped he’d dodged the bullet, ever hopeful me, don’t worry till I need to type.
When we get the info on the scans we will probably pay and see the professor who did his HDR brachytherapy, he’s a cool sensible man who David likes. We’ve kept in touch with him since then. I’m going to be a bit careful about telling him enzo is a type of chemo, he would get all dithery, David’s an artist and has arty traits, I edit stuff carefully for him. 

ahh thanks Lyn,your advice and support is appreciated xxx

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 20:52
Ah, those darned arty types! No need to stress him out. Chemotherapy really just means 'treatment using medicine' - in cancer treatment, chemo includes any anti-cancer medicine but it is also used in autoimmune diseases - e.g. the drugs John is on for his rheumatoid arthritis are a form of chemo. What David is worried about is chemo using a line into a vein? The challenge with any chemo is that it is applied to the whole body and can't just be directed where it is needed like surgery or radiotherapy.

I have good vibes for you.

User
Posted 27 Feb 2022 at 14:38

Thanks, for the replies 

David is  worried about is the toxicity, and side effects of chemo,and the effects on him.He's had  the scan and the results and he has definite lymph node invasion and a dubious shadow on his liver, which needs an ultra sound to check it out.
He saw a locum urologist last week, who was a pleasant guy, but had no information at all, and the letter he gave  us did not match the discussion he had with David, it was quite different. He gave David a prescription for one week of bicalutamide and suggested we talk to the GP. GP has advised we wait to see an oncologist, I can see how cancer kills, it ain’t the disease it’s the system and inefficiency.

The oncologist he has been referred to has evidently left the hospital and no replacement yet appointed, hopefully mid March, we’ve been told. Only found this out as I called the new oncologist’s secretary to be informed he’s off to pastures new.
So, we wait, he has decided to make contact with the prof who did his brachy and see him privately.

David  decided to contact the Care Oncolgy Clinic in London he had a zoom on Friday,  they’ve given him a script of metaformin,continue on the statins and an antibiotic, lots of dietary advice, most of which we do. Evident.y the metaformin and statins regulate the blood sugars…. And go some way to starve the cancer. We read Jane Mc Lelland’s book, How To Starve Cancer, and it seems sensible, she is doing well after two types of cancers.

My faith in the NHS is at a low ebb at the moment. No oncologist, no one able to make a decision, and poor communication from the medics, so we pay for a  private service.

Yes, he’s had a heart attack and he’s now stage four, but he’s rowing 10,000 metres a day, we manage our land chop wood, and he’s abreast of financial, political and current affairs. He informed the GP he isn’t ready for the knackers yard yet, and hopes a plan can be made soon? He did say this with  an edge of cynicism in his voice, I wonder why.

Ok, my moan is over, I’m a bit pi%%ed off David is a bit on the autistic side and doesn’t deal well with poor communication or little or no  plans. He needs exact clear information, time scales and exact honesty. I have to manage his inabilities to manage the lack of planning and exactness and believe me it is not easy. He likes clarity. 
The way things are glowing I’ll be needing a darkroom with a larger glass of wine….. we have both stopped supping wine, me to support him, but I might become a secret  in the barn boozer, on the carrot wine  ( I jest )  it’s disgusting stuff. 
Well that’s us, I’m going to do my gym work out and not hit the carrot whisky.

Thanks for reading if you have.

Leila 

Edited by member 27 Feb 2022 at 15:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Feb 2022 at 15:47
Aww Leila - I am not sure which member has the virtual comfort blanket right now but we will have it in the post to you pretty darned quick as it is much healthier than carrot wine! I can also pop a few Silk Cut purple in the envelope if you think that would help?

Can Mr Brachy prescribe enza perhaps?

User
Posted 27 Feb 2022 at 16:07

Haha, the carrot wine is used as a slug killer in the garden, not drinkable, your ok I’m not becoming a lush in the barn swigging home brew.  As for the silk cut don’t tempt me… it has crossed my mind more than once. 
The comfort blanket would be lovely,  please send first class, in the meantime the cats are very cuddly and comforting.My little gym helps too, excercise is my friend these days.

Leila 

User
Posted 11 Mar 2022 at 20:59
Our social life currently seems to revolve around hospital and GP appointments. David had an ultrasound this morning and the radiologist said she couldn't see any shadow, so hopefully that’s something he can tick off as ok. The effects of the HT injection have started to kick in, he’s feeling a bit tired and the libido is diminishing, as long as it brings the PSA down we will manage.

David has a zoom with the Prof on Tuesday morning, he’s a clinical oncologist, he’s stood by David since he was first diagnosed. He’s offered regular advice when asked and kept on touch, so he’s knows David’s situation well.

Also a booked appt with an NHS oncologist the following week, so we can take the dear Pros’s advice and share it with the new oncologist, so fingers crossed it all goes well, and a plan can be hatched and agreed.

David’s holding up well, he hates all this hospital and medical inference, hopefully if he can get a plan in place we will be allowed some time off for good behaviour.

The wonderful comfort blanket has been well used it has having it has helped keep us keep sane, well almost, we are both a bit on the nuts side.😂

I just need to reassure Lyn I’m not laying in the barn slugging the undrinkable carrot wine, or rekindling my long forgotten smoking habit.

Though both habits might help keep me sane.

Thanks for your support, it reassuring.

Leila.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 13:11
After a lot of faffing about with poor drug to drug interactions David has finally got an answer, to his druggie dilemma. He was on an anticoagulant after his heart attack which doesn’t mix well with the new drug he’s been offered, Apalutamide. He isn’t yet on it, but had his Prostrap injection and within a month his PSA had dropped from 3.9 to 0.3

The delay was because the cardiologist was off sick with Covid, and none of the other specialists were prepared to make the decision, our GP gave us an “ off the record” suggestion from one of his mates, who is a cardiologist 😄 suggestions he’d risk going off the anticoagulant. Thankfully David’s cardio bloke recovered and agreed it was ok to come off the dammed stuff.

He is also doing the Care Oncology Clinic protocols and following a pretty strict eating regime, suggested in Jane Mclellands book, HowTo Starve Cancer.

David loves his food, and credit to him he’s sticking to it, and now has two glasses of red wine a week or a pint, a man who loves life, food and wine he’s determined to give this bl@#%y cancer a run for its money.

He’s is seeing the oncologist at the end of the month to discuss the Apalutamide, and he’s thinking he might delay it as his PSA has gone down quite a bit. He’s read the side effects of it and is considering delaying it for a while, has anyone else delayed it? Views would be welcome. Since going back the Prostrap he suffering joint pains libido has vanished, and he’s tired, he thinking adding yet another’s drug to the cocktail will increase the side effects.

We are still growing our veggies and doing all our normal stuff, just a bit slower. David was ‘ gobsmacked’ to be offered the Apalutamide as it is to say the least a bit on the costly side.

Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary, he might drop off the diet and enjoy a glass of red wine, restaurant booked.

Happy days.

Leila x

User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 14:12

Hi Leila, I'm glad things are going reasonably well, particularly the PSA. I can well understand the reluctance to add another drug: apalutamide. Is there any danger that the offer will be withdrawn as we come out of the pandemic? That may err me on to starting it early, having said that, maybe it is best wait until it is definitely needed and then it may be effective longer.

As for the healthy diet, my own personal opinion is that sacrificing the pleasures in life is a bit like waring a hair shirt and saying your hail Marys. Is it really going to make a difference, or is it just a psychological crutch? Not saying he shouldn't follow such a route if he wants, and my opinion is the more people who give up fine food and wine, the more that will be left for gluttons like me, so I'm happy, yummy!

Dave

User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 16:05
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. We’ve done a considerable amount of reading about diet and cancer, and it seems the evidence is quite convincing. Have a read of the book and check her out. I’m aware some oncologists say diet does no matter, but there is an increasing school of thought and clinicians saying otherwise.

Also metformin, statins and some strong antibiotics also seem to have some pretty good evidence behind them.

David’s keen to keep well keep do the best for himself….it’s the way he is.

Hope you are doing ok? Everyone has there own way of dealing with this dammed disease, nothings set in stone is it.

Keep going 😉

Leila

User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 16:06
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. We’ve done a considerable amount of reading about diet and cancer, and it seems the evidence is quite convincing. Have a read of the book and check her out. I’m aware some oncologists say diet does no matter, but there is an increasing school of thought and clinicians saying otherwise.

Also metformin, statins and some strong antibiotics also seem to have some pretty good evidence behind them.

David’s keen to keep well keep do the best for himself….it’s the way he is.

Hope you are doing ok? Everyone has there own way of dealing with this dammed disease, nothings set in stone is it.

Keep going 😉

Leila

User
Posted 26 Apr 2022 at 00:53

Finally got the okay for the apalutamide today, David can come off the anticoagulant as he’s recovered from his heart attack quite well. He finds being back on the prostrap is giving him aches in his groin but he seems to be doing ok. 
We had a lovely anniversary do and celebrated my birthday, I married him on my birthday so he’d only have one date to remember 😉

So, he’s incurable, enjoying life, and we have some plans.

Long may it continue.

Leila

Edited by member 27 Apr 2022 at 00:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 May 2022 at 14:24
David has been offered apalutamide, but hasn’t yet received it. His latest PSA has come back at <0.1 after he had his Prostrap injection a month ago. He is currently in a dilemma as he’s got a telephone consultation with the oncologist next week and he is not sure whether to delay or have the Apalutamide. He feels well, he’s very active and enjoying life. He want to maintain the current QOL yet not scupper his options later down the line, as he’s chosen not to have the drug offered. Your views would be appreciated.

Thanks

Leila

User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 00:30
I think the onco is best person to talk that through with you - the initial PSA response to HT is great so it might make sense to push the apa back a while?

User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 10:25

Thanks Lyn, that was my gut feeling too.  Life sounds quite complex, I don’t miss chairing meetings, but I do miss some parts of the work. I’m now CP gov at our local school, and doing some vol work locally.  Our recent drug complexities have been resolved and the Prostrap  seems to be doing its thing he doesn’t want to add to his drug intake and rock the boat.  So what’s wrong with bulgar and lentil meals then, 🥴Bon appetite.

User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 15:55
This is a serious case review so lots of agencies involved - it is like herding cats. Safeguarding governor??? You are a glutton for punishment!

Lentils and cous cous are my idea of hell, I am afraid - plus I don't eat anything green and I need food to stay in its own area on the plate and not mix.

You seem to be holding a steady ship right now; enjoy it while it lasts. Hopefully a good summer coming for us all.

User
Posted 08 Jun 2022 at 19:27

David’s just received his latest PSA it read <0.1 we are happy with this. The full reading is < 0.1 <ug 6.6 can someone advise me what the <ug /6.6 means… as I can’t seem to find out.

im sure one of you lovely people can help me out.  

Lyn, you’re last post made me laugh, so, my nephew likes his food in a certain way on the plate, no greens, only potatoes.  Me I like me greens, and food in general. Yes, we are planning a good summer, every days a good’un 

Our hot tub is up and getting good use, garden looking good, wine in the cupboard.😃

Leila 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2022 at 12:53

David’s score on the doors are still at <0.1 He’s doing ok, has a few aches & pains, one of them being me 😉He’s now a young 72.The quiet shadow  on all this in my mind is, he has never had a high PSA and I quietly wonder what’s lurking around the corner. I know, I’m over thinking, but it’s me. 
He was diagnosed in September 2015 and after 6 months of  HT pills bicalutamide. He had his HDR on April 19th 2016, then  a month of radiotherapy in June…. 3 yrs of Prostrap and 2 years of no hormone treatments. Then up went the dammed PSA and he’s now back on the prostrap along with apalutamide. Along with the heart attack last July his daily drug regime is a right pain. I’m pleased to say we are still running our small holding, both of us growing our veg and living the good life. 
Then I remember our heady days of backpacking around SE Asia, and other interesting places. He l doesn’t  even have passport a these days. This needs to be addressed I think. 

Edited by member 01 Aug 2022 at 13:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Aug 2022 at 13:18

Hi Leila, great that David’s PSA is still 0.1 👍.  Hoping mine has gone back down at my next test after adding the Bicalutimide. 

Must be hard work running a small holding …. The garden is enough for me plus tinkering in the garage and odd bit of DIY. 

I must admit I feel I need to get more holidays sorted… Just don’t know what’s round the corner… 

We are off to Canada shortly for 3 weeks and regular trips to Jersey to see our boy and his missus. Fingers crossed BA don’t mess it up …  Need to sort something for next year 🤷🏼‍♂️

Get those passports sorted - it’s a big world out there! 

Hoping David’s PSA stays low for many years to come . Good luck .

Phil

User
Posted 01 Aug 2022 at 21:14

Thanks Phil, we seem to manage the garden and David’s quite good at DIY. He is also planning to paint the house. We both love travelling, but we have a much loved elderly cat who can’t cope with being left alone for more than  a night, and he can’t manage the cattery. I know we are softies, but it’s us.  If a family member can come and look after him we’d be off like a shot, but everyone seems too tied up with their own stuff.

if we could get a sitter, we live near the sea in a beautiful valley with wonderful scenery from our garden…. Any offers 😂

Leila