I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Which supplements did you continue with during Chemo?

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 01:23
My husband has just started chemo (one month after starting HT) and I stopped his turmeric supplement as had read that it could interfere with chemo.

At the moment he is taking a multi vit plus one or two cups of green tea a day (again the green tea is reduced from 4-5 cups a day in case if interaction.)

Has anyone else dine the same ?

Also we had been considering Vit D 1000mg but thought should wait till after chemo - but as this will take us through the winter reconsidering this now. Has anyone else taken / continued with vit d through chemo?

Thank you x

User
Posted 21 Nov 2016 at 16:59

Just a quick update (which highlights that advice is slightly different from each clinic so always wise to check with your own.)

Multi Vit - ok
Green tea (as a tea not supplement) - 2 or 3 cups a day ok
Vit D supplement - ok
Pomegranate juice - ok

But advise stopping Pomi-T supplement until after chemo finished in case of any interactions.

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 10:44

Thank you both that is really useful.

Follow up question - which brands of vitamin D are you using?

Thank you.

Edited by member 19 Nov 2016 at 11:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 15:53

No, however, my non alcoholic drink of choice is milk so I get plenty of calcium from that.

User
Posted 21 Nov 2016 at 07:19

I was told no extra supplements as it may effect the chemo

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 07:14

I have been taking 5000 i/u vit D3 per day for a number of years now. When I was diagnosed with PCa earlier this year I had my D levels checked and I was in the "high end of normal" at 220 nmol/litre. I have had a course of six chemo sessions and before I started I told my oncologist about my daily D intake and no concern was expressed. I have just had my D level checked and am now slightly high at 270 nmol/litre so I will cut back a wee bit for a month or so. I did have a couple of weeks sunshine holiday in October after the chemo had finished which may explain the rise. I had intended to start a daily dose of turmeric a while back but was advised by the Oncologist to wait until the chemo was finished just in case of any conflict.

Hope this is of interest.

Edited by member 19 Nov 2016 at 07:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 08:38

sallyyy,

My advice is:

1. Contact your Chemo ward at the hospital.

2. Tell them exactly which supplements hubby is taking/proposing to take and the exact quantities of each per day.

3. Ask them to check with the Hospital pharmacist which ones hubby should/should not take and the approved quantity of those he should take.

4. Follow the pharmacist's advice to the letter.

David

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 10:44

Thank you both that is really useful.

Thank you.

Edited by member 19 Nov 2016 at 11:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 12:06
David is of course right but it never occurred to me at the time so I carried on taking vitamin d, baby asprin, pomi-t, turmeric/black pepper tabs.

As an aside, vitamin d from the sun just gets rejected if we have too much. Vitamin d from tablets collects in muscle if we have too much which has long term issues I understand. The rec daily dose is 1000 iu however I have been taking 5000 a day as in my situation the long term effect is not my problem but a strong immune system now is. I also did not cut down on green tea.

I have no idea if my self medication is good or bad for me but personally I have got through 2 years without a cold or anything else so it works for me.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 12:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Vitabiotics 25 micrograms daily.

However, I think the brand is irrelevant, Vitamin D is Vitamin D, choose whichever brand has the best price.

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 13:36
Thank you for replies.

Will speak to the hospital this week re Vit D plus possibly restarting the Pomi-T and increasing the green tea again.

Very interesting Kev re short term gain of supplements and needing to be less concerned about long term issues from them.

If I get any other useful info from the hospital I will feed it back here.

Edited by member 19 Nov 2016 at 13:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 13:44

Sorry I really must get my head together today - I keep forgetting what I meant to write !
Are any of you also taking calcium supplements alongside vitamin D?

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 15:53

No, however, my non alcoholic drink of choice is milk so I get plenty of calcium from that.

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 19:53

Hi Sally

My partner was taking calcium supplements but the hospital suggested we stop - too much calcium can cause problematic side effects. They monitor calcium levels at every visit and have said that they will let us know if there's any need to take supplements. At the moment his levels are fine.

Take care.

Eleanor

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 22:54
That's useful to know Eleanor. Does your husband also take vitamin D?
User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 23:03

Yes he does...we checked it with the Stampede nurse and she said that's fine. He also uses a sunlamp on grey days - bought it years ago to help with depression which is particularly bad in the winter months (doubtless not helped by the cancer or HT). It seems to work.

He also takes Pomi-T and magnesium (has done for quite a while) for general energy and has recently started iron to see if that helps against anemia. All ok'd by the nurse.

How is Carol coping with the chemo?

Eleanor

User
Posted 20 Nov 2016 at 00:02
Thank you Eleanor.

Interesting about the Pomi-T ... I had read that it might be an idea to stop it during chemo so he hasn't taken it for the last week - but we will check with the nurse this week as ideally he would stay on it.

He had first chemo on Wednesday so day 4 today. Very tired today and some upset stomach but nothing else of any note (he was already tired from the HT so not 100% sure that is actually from the chemo.)

Having bloods taken on Thursday to double check white blood cells as his are naturally low. This cycle has only been an 80% dose to monitor impact on the white cells. If ok will increase to 100% for next cycle. (He also has to inject himself for five days in a bid to boost the white cells )

Hope all still going well with you with this cycle x

Edited by member 20 Nov 2016 at 00:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Nov 2016 at 07:19

I was told no extra supplements as it may effect the chemo

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 21 Nov 2016 at 16:59

Just a quick update (which highlights that advice is slightly different from each clinic so always wise to check with your own.)

Multi Vit - ok
Green tea (as a tea not supplement) - 2 or 3 cups a day ok
Vit D supplement - ok
Pomegranate juice - ok

But advise stopping Pomi-T supplement until after chemo finished in case of any interactions.