Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Release the Kracken

User
Posted 24 Nov 2016 at 17:16
Good evening

I am currently in the recovery stage, day fourteen, of my second round of Docetaxel chemotherapy. My original PSA score was >1000 and I was diagnosed Stage 4 with bone metastasis; after hormone treatment and one round of chemotherapy my PSA came down to 156. My main question is this:

Prior to and during all the treatment I've had for prostate cancer - diagnosis, biopsy, scans, hormone treatment, chemotherapy - I've had zero problem with my prostate or, for that matter, even noticed that it existed. My prostate now seems to realise, after possibly years of growing and lying dormant, that it is being attacked on a number of fronts - hormones, chemo and extreme diet change - and has decided to 'wake up'. There is no real pain just a dull ache inside the 'backdoor'. I am seeing my Consultant on Saturday and will obviously raise this issue with him but wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? I'm initially treating the as a positive thing in that the cancer is now being 'worked upon' and it doesn't like it. But it could of course be the reverse and that the cancer will fight back aggressively and my

PSA score will rise again.

Any thought and/or observations would be most appreciated.

Boyd

User
Posted 24 Nov 2016 at 18:38

Hello Boyd.

I'm sure those in the know will be along to comment. Sorry but I don't have the experience to make an informed comment.

I would have thought though that the constant barrage from all your prostate has been through means that it is no doubt sending you a message to pack it in!!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 Nov 2016 at 23:52

Hi Boyd,

I may be barking up the wrong tree, because your treatment is quite different to mine, however most times I have my prostate treated, or should I say 'invaded' with TRUS, PLND, EBRT, template biopsy and Brachytherapy I have ended up with infections, some have been fully fledged infections putting me in a delirious fever, others have been what you describe as a 'dull ache inside the backdoor'.

The last time it happened, my Consultant didn't even bother physically examining me, he just sat behind his desk, listened to my list of symptoms and promptly diagnosed the problem and prescribed the correct antibiotic, rather spooky, one might think he was half expecting it?

:)

Dave

User
Posted 25 Nov 2016 at 10:06
Thanks so much for your replies; it is heartening just to know that like minded souls are interested. As an update I think my 'awakened prostate' is actually hemorrrhoids; which is very strange as I'm not constipated and eat a VERY high fibre diet. My wife is convinced that it is a result of my drawn-out visits to the 'throne' so I have removed all reading material and installed a stopwatch!

I have also tried a 'natural remedy' of applying cider vinegar to the effected area. It stated that relief would be felt immediately and it certainly did take my mind of the discomfort BUT for all the wrong reasons. I hope you can guess the outcome so I don't have to paint to vivid a picture with words.

So thanks again for your support

Boyd

Edited by member 25 Nov 2016 at 10:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Nov 2016 at 11:09

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I have also tried a 'natural remedy' of applying cider vinegar to the effected area. It stated that relief would be felt immediately and it certainly did take my mind of the discomfort BUT for all the wrong reasons. I hope you can guess the outcome so I don't have to paint to vivid a picture with words.

Good God! You've made my eyes water at the thought of it.

Whoever thought up that 'natural remedy' should be tarred and feathered. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

User
Posted 25 Nov 2016 at 13:17

Boyd if it's piles then Zyloproct or proctosedyl. Just don't use for too long or it produces its own problems !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails