Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Back on the ward

User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 23:41
Hi all

So as not to be outdone by Mark, I'm posting from my ward. Only out of surgery at 8.30pm. First guy done today took a very long time. No pain.

Walter
User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 23:41
Hi all

So as not to be outdone by Mark, I'm posting from my ward. Only out of surgery at 8.30pm. First guy done today took a very long time. No pain.

Walter
User
Posted 10 Dec 2016 at 01:37
It's almost 2am. I'm so awake it's unbelievable. A big like jet lag.

Still absolutely no pain. Hopefully it won't get bad once drugs start losing their effect.

Post operative tea and toast was lovely!

Walter
User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 09:03

Feeling for you Walter, hope you get on top of it soon.

Mark

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Dec 2016 at 01:37
It's almost 2am. I'm so awake it's unbelievable. A big like jet lag.

Still absolutely no pain. Hopefully it won't get bad once drugs start losing their effect.

Post operative tea and toast was lovely!

Walter
User
Posted 10 Dec 2016 at 02:01

Great News, Walter.

Settle back and enjoy the pampering.  They usually look after you really well at Royal Berks.  I should know, there's almost a bed with my name on it in the Cardiac Care Unit.

Hope you continue to be comfortable.

Steve

User
Posted 10 Dec 2016 at 07:01

Well done Walter, yes you will feel good on the post op drugs which are very strong. It does get a little more painful later but not too bad.
The worst pain for me was in the upper chest and arms from the gas they pump you up with. This hurt me if I tried to move about a lot. Then I have soreness and pain around the entry wounds.
It is all getting better quite quickly now though, main thing I need to do is get a bowel movement.

I was first in too, my op only took 2 hours, did yours go OK?

Mark

Edited by member 10 Dec 2016 at 07:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Dec 2016 at 08:07
Mark

My op was 3.5 hrs. The first guy was in theatre 7 hrs which was why I was so late started. Recovery staff told me things went well and that theatre staff had spoken to me, but I remember nothing! Waiting for ward rounds now.

Walter
User
Posted 10 Dec 2016 at 11:50

Good luck with your recovery Walter (and Mark)

Hope all goes well for you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 07:59

Walter,

Had my first bowel movement last night, much to my relief. I have had so many laxatives my tummy is throbbing. I didn't have any painkillers all day (this may have helped with my bowels).

How are you getting on with your catheter pain, hopefully it is under control now?

Mark

User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 08:59
Congratulations on the bowel movement

Catheter pain was excruciating. I also collapsed and lost conscientiousness when on a short walk last night. Just about to see doctor on ward rounds now. I think they totally underestimated the pain I was in.

I've written it all down for them so I don't forget what needs to be said.

Just feeling totally drained.

Walter
User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 09:03

Feeling for you Walter, hope you get on top of it soon.

Mark

User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 11:10
Hi Walter,

Hope the pain settles down soon. It will be worth it in the long run.

Steve
User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 12:30
This is awful. Pain settling but I faint every time they get me out of bed. I don't think I'm a very good patient.

Bed rest for the moment.

Walter
User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 13:46
W

I did suffer with excruciating abdominal pain, the first time was 48 hours post op and the second time 4 days post op, 30 mg of morphine from a paramedic and a trip to A&E. They found nothing wrong, but I put it down to constipation,after my first motion there was never any recurrence. I did not suffer with any fainting.

Hope it gets better soon.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 21:41
Things much better this evening but still in hospital

Hopefully home tomorrow

Walter
User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 21:48

Sounds good Walter. Have a good night.

Mark

User
Posted 11 Dec 2016 at 22:03

You'll be ok mate. You're doing fine I'm sure. I was an absolute diva. Fourteen nights in hospital Breakfown 2 weeks before , walked out of pre-op one week before , phoned by surgeon the day before the op to check I was coming in , drain infection and excessive draining , neutropenia etc etc. Utter disaster haha.
The worst bit is over , it's ok to be shaky, and keep posting !
Chris

User
Posted 12 Dec 2016 at 09:32
Just catching up with you Walter. For some reason I can't get into the site from my pc.
I feel for you with your pain. Mine wasn't too bad, fortunately as they found that morphene caused my blood pressure to collapse. I am just finding that I can manage without paracetamol.
I think I may be lucky with ED the little chap look like a hard cold cocktail sausage but can be improved with a bit of pulling and tugging to its old self. No good for penitration .
The peeing is my main problem with difficulty when I want to go with an intense feeling of needing a pee whilst I trickle. Then leaking uncontrollably for a few seconds.
Good luck Walter and all.
Nigel
User
Posted 12 Dec 2016 at 10:40
3 bowel movements this morning. I howled like a woman in labour, even though it wasn't actually bad. It just seemed the right thing to do. Daft, eh?

Pain under control and no more fainting.

Going home today. I live and work in a boarding school, so I'll have to resist the temptation to simply go back to work!

What a difference a good night's sleep makes.

Walter
User
Posted 12 Dec 2016 at 11:53

That is great news Walter. Hope the major pains are behind you now. I am lucky in that my wife is working from home and looking after me. Just as well in the first few days as I had bad chest and shoulder pains from the gas used in the op.

I am a lot better now, my discomforts are the catheter, which feels strange when I move and painful from time to time, and tummy pains from my op wounds and from laxatives.

Just can't wait to get the catheter out (two weeks from the op) as I find I can only sleep on my back at night, plus the obvious discomfort and inconvenience.

I am sure it will make you feel much better when you are home as well. The NHS staff are great, but as they say there is no place like home.

Mark

User
Posted 12 Dec 2016 at 13:42
Mark

Apart from excruciating pain in my urethra the first 24 hours post op, I've had no pain whatsoever. I'm amazed after such a huge procedure.

Just waiting in the discharge lounge for my meds.

I hate catheters - never ever want one again.

Hope your pains continue to ease.

Walter
User
Posted 12 Dec 2016 at 14:38
Hi Dave & Walter
All the best. Yes I tended not to move in bed at all. I had an easy time reading some posts. You don't get told much looking back re. Pain as everyone's different. I was told about bladder spasms. My excruciating session appeared out of the blue after catheter was out. Totally random. Always came on about 10 seconds after bladder emptied. Lasted about 2 minutes. If either of you get extended problems , do get med's. Not much more to say. Keep plenty of fluids. Ie plain water. In and out !
and only once did I notice the tube got kinked and stopped flow one night . I walked liked a snail for the first 2 or 3 days and soon realised the smaller leg bag was bulging a tad one day when walking around the village. Easy to forget. Final catheter removal was simple, no pain and discrete. I have no idea why mine was in 7 days. I can only assume they would have put it in another week if my control ,voiding and flow wasn't up to spec. Hopefully you can relax and enjoy your recovery. .

Edited by member 12 Dec 2016 at 14:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Dec 2016 at 00:10
At home, in my own bed. Most importantly, pain free. Very tired though - you feel great until you do something simple for a few minutes and then realise just how tired you have become.

Good night, everyone.

Walter