Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate cancer laser treatment

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 09:58

Prostate cancer laser treatment 'truly transformative'

latest BBC 'good news' story, though it's still early days.

They say it's in Lancet Oncology

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/issue/current

But I've been unable to find anything in the current issue.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 14:55

This is from the NICE website dated 13th October 2016

"The technology appraisal of padeliporfin for treating localised prostate cancer (ID866) has been delayed at the request of Steba. NICE has agreed to this request because administration of the padeliporfin requires equipment that is currently not available in the NHS. NICE and Steba are exploring how this can be addressed."

Here is the link to the website. It looks like it will be some time before there is any guidance is issued.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 10:56
Hi
Some more here. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27291652
User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 09:58

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 11:45

Whilst waiting for diagnosis on Thursday I have done lists of reading and this Israeli developed treatment is already approved in Mexico following a South American clinical trial. That trial seems a lot smaller than the European one discussed by the media today but seems to mirror the findings.

In the USA the FDA have approved this 'bluelight' focal laser treatment for low risk PCa as an alternates native to active surveillance but I can't find any info on it being trialled in the UK...?

Times are changing it seems to me

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 13:04

Hi Claret

Thanks

Is this bluelight ?   (If you see some of my posts (and profile), my brother just been dx and lives in Australia)

http://www.macquarieurology.com.au/focal-laser-therapy.html

He is making his mind up Jan/Feb 2017, so I'm exploring options with him.  He does have Gleason 7 though (although it seems only one 1cm lesion contained in one lobe) 

Many thanks for your post.   I agree.   Many ways to skin a cat, and with PCa; early diagnosis is key, with appropriate treatment, it will be beaten. Hopefully in our lifetime. 

Gordon (Devon , UK)

Edited by member 20 Dec 2016 at 13:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 13:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(16)30661-1/fulltext?r

Try this link

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 20:38
I'm 46. I had my catheter removed today after my robotic prostatectomy and am sitting with a pull up training pant on. My tumour was unfortunately too advanced for this new treatment and obviously its development is much too late for me. But I pray that in the not too distant future no man will have to face incontinence and erectile dysfunction. Let's hope they make speedy progress with the development of this treatment.

W
User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 09:42

NHS choices have given a sobering critique of the news, it's worth a read.

Best regards

Certainly puts the news hype into better perspective.

This concerns me

"The study was funded by Steba Biotech, a company focused on targeting cancer in a minimally invasive way, which holds the commercial license for the treatment.

Many of the study's authors were employed by or had financial links to Steba. The authors also declared receiving payment from various other pharmaceutical companies."

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/12December/Pages/New-laser-therapy-for-low-risk-prostate-cancer-shows-promise.aspx

Edited by moderator 17 Oct 2023 at 06:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 11:11

I agree Andrew,

You can't get 10 year results if you don't start ..

The NHS critique concludes

'This large randomised controlled trial indicates that the new treatment vascular-targeted photodynamic therapy for men with low-risk prostate cancer results in a greater chance of being declared cancer-free, and slows the progress of the disease.
The treatment also reduced the number of men who needed to have further surgery or radiotherapy to 6%, compared with 29% in the active surveillance group.
This is a well-designed trial conducted in several countries that followed men for a reasonably long period of time'

They do point out
But this doesn't mean to say that this new treatment is better than surgery or radiotherapy in terms of curing the person, preventing progression or prolonging survival.
Early active treatment with surgery or radiotherapy may give more favourable outcomes than active surveillance and even this new treatment.

Having choice is good IMO even if its only for some ( and its not available yet)

With regard to NICE and decision making does anyone know if they have a standard agenda/ timetable or do they fast track in certain circumstances i wonder?

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 10:56
Hi
Some more here. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27291652
User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 11:45

Whilst waiting for diagnosis on Thursday I have done lists of reading and this Israeli developed treatment is already approved in Mexico following a South American clinical trial. That trial seems a lot smaller than the European one discussed by the media today but seems to mirror the findings.

In the USA the FDA have approved this 'bluelight' focal laser treatment for low risk PCa as an alternates native to active surveillance but I can't find any info on it being trialled in the UK...?

Times are changing it seems to me

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 13:04

Hi Claret

Thanks

Is this bluelight ?   (If you see some of my posts (and profile), my brother just been dx and lives in Australia)

http://www.macquarieurology.com.au/focal-laser-therapy.html

He is making his mind up Jan/Feb 2017, so I'm exploring options with him.  He does have Gleason 7 though (although it seems only one 1cm lesion contained in one lobe) 

Many thanks for your post.   I agree.   Many ways to skin a cat, and with PCa; early diagnosis is key, with appropriate treatment, it will be beaten. Hopefully in our lifetime. 

Gordon (Devon , UK)

Edited by member 20 Dec 2016 at 13:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 13:35

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(16)30661-1/fulltext?r

Try this link

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 19:35
Hi Gordon,

That Australian solution does look like the US option for focal laser ablation thought it does appear it's a trial there whereas it's approved in the USA. They don't call it's 'bluelight' but it sounds the same.. Thank you Gordon.. I wonder if it is being trialled in the UK and how to find out if so?

I hope your brother gets the broadest range of options Gordon. I am going to read your posts ( hope that's ok) thank you so much for the inel.

Cheers

Clare
User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 19:39

This news is great but if I understand correctly that it is suitable for early PC , with this in mind will GP,s take a different attitude towards men who show signs and not fob them off I wonder ?? Andy

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 19:55

Well it should IMO ... Surely it makes early diagnosis absolutely crucial. I have to say our GP said to my husband if the PSA is even 0.1,above standard he invokes a urologist ..though husband was only at GP following corporate medical PSA test! He had no symptoms so has only been picked up by company screening...

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 20:38
I'm 46. I had my catheter removed today after my robotic prostatectomy and am sitting with a pull up training pant on. My tumour was unfortunately too advanced for this new treatment and obviously its development is much too late for me. But I pray that in the not too distant future no man will have to face incontinence and erectile dysfunction. Let's hope they make speedy progress with the development of this treatment.

W
User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 21:53

Best regards

life's a b****- then you die!!!!!
User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 22:05

Oh gosh...ulsterman I can't find the right words if they exist but I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your honestly and frankness along with the others prepared to tell it as it is.. Without the real stories stats can become glossed over. By being prepared to share realities it helps those with this journey ahead of them to prepare mentally for what it actually means.

Really hoping you are one of the 48 hour chaps that I've read about...good luck and again appreciate the openness of this site.

Let's hope this new treatment gets the OK and at least for some gives a new path.

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 09:42

Best regards

Certainly puts the news hype into better perspective.

This concerns me

"The study was funded by Steba Biotech, a company focused on targeting cancer in a minimally invasive way, which holds the commercial license for the treatment.

Many of the study's authors were employed by or had financial links to Steba. The authors also declared receiving payment from various other pharmaceutical companies."

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/12December/Pages/New-laser-therapy-for-low-risk-prostate-cancer-shows-promise.aspx

Edited by moderator 17 Oct 2023 at 06:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 11:11

I agree Andrew,

You can't get 10 year results if you don't start ..

The NHS critique concludes

'This large randomised controlled trial indicates that the new treatment vascular-targeted photodynamic therapy for men with low-risk prostate cancer results in a greater chance of being declared cancer-free, and slows the progress of the disease.
The treatment also reduced the number of men who needed to have further surgery or radiotherapy to 6%, compared with 29% in the active surveillance group.
This is a well-designed trial conducted in several countries that followed men for a reasonably long period of time'

They do point out
But this doesn't mean to say that this new treatment is better than surgery or radiotherapy in terms of curing the person, preventing progression or prolonging survival.
Early active treatment with surgery or radiotherapy may give more favourable outcomes than active surveillance and even this new treatment.

Having choice is good IMO even if its only for some ( and its not available yet)

With regard to NICE and decision making does anyone know if they have a standard agenda/ timetable or do they fast track in certain circumstances i wonder?

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 14:55

This is from the NICE website dated 13th October 2016

"The technology appraisal of padeliporfin for treating localised prostate cancer (ID866) has been delayed at the request of Steba. NICE has agreed to this request because administration of the padeliporfin requires equipment that is currently not available in the NHS. NICE and Steba are exploring how this can be addressed."

Here is the link to the website. It looks like it will be some time before there is any guidance is issued.