I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bazza - End of year

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 08:52
And so it comes to pass another year has unfolded before us. One thing I have noticed as a relative "veteran" of this forum is the sheer increase in younger men joining this year. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. Obviously awareness is increasing in Prostate Cancer and three cheers to that. It is the advanced cases in young men I worry about. Something must have seriously affected our genes growing up in the 1960s and 70s.

For myself, it is has been a year of highs (Speaking PSA here) and lows (also speaking PSA) as the Enzalutamide and Prostap cocktail has been jiggled around to finally take control and bring it down. As I speak, it hovers just around 2ngml which, compared to earlier in the year when it shot up (again, relatively speaking to 7 and was rising), I'll take.

2017 will mark seven years since my diagnosis which, given the treatment path I have been through: surgery, radio and HT is not bad. The kitchen sink has cracks in it but it appears to be doing its job and holding its own having been thrown at the cancer numerous times in numerous ways over the past few years.

This year, we have lost many men, as we sadly seem to do. Exbus does a brilliant job in letting us know so that we can pay our respects and offer our condolences. Upstairs, there is a growing crowd of men now free of pain and disease that although I know I will meet them some day, would rather honour from down here for as long as possible.

When I knew my cancer had become incurable, I upped my travel to a level that would have embarrassed Alan Wicker - short trips, not far, but plenty of them. I am a Brexiteer by heart but duplicitously love visiting continental Europe. I've had good wishes from various celebrities including Michael Portillo whose railway journeys across Europe and the UK sustained me when I was bedridden and in pain - and gone through two tablets (the computer type) watching great travel programmes to inspire me. This year, I have visited Budapest twice, Dalyan in Turkey, Seville and have just recently returned from Poznan in eastern Poland where the Christmas markets always seem much better than the British ones.

I have fallen in love (sorry Mrs C) with another. She is known as Wyborowa plum vodka and is the most delicious spirit to drink fresh from the freezer. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to drink on the cocktail of drugs I'm currently on but I do, because it's my life for now and I will. I commend Wyborowa plum vodka to the house - it is simply devine.

Writing work has been thin on the ground this year, unlike my head hair which, ironically, has grown faster than celebrities' egos on IACGMOOH! Meanwhile, the forest that used to reside on my legs, back and chest is but a distant memory that I fondly hark back to when opening a photograph album. Still, no waxing needed. That's one positive from the situation!

Compared to many others, I consider myself, despite my young age at DX (46) to be very lucky. I remain asymptomatic save for two breasts that most flat chested girls would die for and a level of fatigue I never knew existed. I think my good fortune is helped by the anti anxiety drug Citalopram which I take to curtail my usual catastrophist outlook on life. Each time I visit my consultant, they appear amazed as though I should be in excruciating pain somewhere. No doubt, the pain will come as it inexorably does when the cancer becomes more advanced, but I hope my weakening the course by the drugs I am taking will make that moment a long time in the future.

Three years ago, when my PSA rose from an undetectable to 0.06, I gave myself two years to live. Every niggle was bone pain, every ouch was metastasis. I was wrong then and as hard as it has been to get around the fact that even at the young age of 54 I am very much dying of prostate cancer, I do also very much intend making it to 60. Only the gods have the answer as to whether I will actually reach that age but if I do, I shall set new goals, perhaps two years at a time - and who knows, by then, some revolutionary new treatment may be available to push back the tide even further.

The thing about PCA is that even if two men are a similar age, have precisely the same PSA and Gleason score, the treatment path will often be different and the outcome will most certainly be different. As Lyn rightly advises, there are almost 30 types of PCA - so it really is an unfathomable mountain to climb in treating it correctly.

I also know and appreciate that there are people on this forum who are in a great deal of distress, pain and with secondary or related problems to their cancer. There are also an equal number of newbies with their heads clouded by a recent diagnosis and not knowing who to turn to. What they want most of all is to be told that it is all one big bad dream, a mistake and that their cancer is either completely curable or that it was all one big bad dream. I and many others were in that newbie camp once. What a wonderful thing then that this forum brings together such kindred spirits in varying degrees of need, support, advice, nay often desperation such as in my own case all those years ago. A place where definitive answers cannot be provided but where hope, support, comfort and yes, love, are all on tap from the wonder that is the human spirit. The size of the hearts of the people on this forum are legendary.

I have gained far more than I have given to this forum and I feel guilty for that. However, people who know me on here will understand the tremendous demons I faced in the early years. But that is the beauty of the PC forum. You can give and take as much or as little as you need. You can tap in, read from the sidelines, be a frequent or infrequent contributor. You will not be judged. I have never been - and just know when I post, my words may in some small way help others at an earlier stage as I seek help and support myself.

So, without rambling on too much further and as Christmas and the New Year approaches, I want to raise a glass of fine red, a cool glass of white, a schooner of the very best Manzanilla sherry, a shot glass of Wyborowa plum vodka or a flagon of cloudy ale, whatever your predilection to a year of highs and lows, ups and downs and to celebrate the fact that we have so many wonderful men and women in here ready to give of their time. May you all have the very best Christmas that is possible in your situation, may you create wonderful memories together and please, whichever is your God, if at all, may 2017 be a year when the numbers of the fallen stay low and where hope continues to remain the watchword on here and in all of our lives.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Cheers!

Bazza

(Barry)

Edited by member 21 Dec 2016 at 20:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 08:14
Bazza, your longevity gives hope to many and your words as ever eloquently put.

Just over 2 years ago I was diagnosed and told I may only have 2 years. I remember Xmas 2014 thinking it was the last one I would ever physically enjoy (mentally it was already spoilt somewhat) but in Jan 2015 I made the decision to keep my glass half full or even overflowed rather than half empty or broken. It was my decision, no one told me or helped me as such but a defining time when I took over my emotions and plans rather than them taking over me.

My journey of biclutamide, docetaxl, radiotherapy, zoladex and now abiriterone have got me here, still with a love of life, places to go, things to do, races to be run, memories to make. I have like you Bazza, been to countries I never thought I would, run races that I only ever dreamed of, met new communities both here on this forum and in the ultra running world who are such wonderful people and I hope made some great memories for all who are important to me.

The current drug regime will last as long as it does, next blood test 3rd Jan, but until the tubby lady is warbling I am going for it. I have 1,000 miles of races accross deserts, mountains and glaciers planned for 2017, family holidays, football to watch, school plays to watch, people to hug, drink to be drunk (I like Jack Daniels honey!) and if health stops me short in some of those I will at least know that I didn't wait and never gave up.

I have now raised over £53,000 for PCUK , i have more to do for them, I have presented to around 1,000 people over 8 sessions around the country about pc, my employer , the much maligned but in truth to me wonderful RBS have been so good to me, they could have done no more supporting my wife and I.

So like you Bazza here is to great memories of 2016 and some more good ones to be made in 2017. I still say to everyone healthy or not , your day is what you want it to be. When you get out of bed every day you can choose to smile or scowl, if you do the former your day and the day for those around you will be better, if you choose to be Victor Meldrew then guess what your day will be like.

Have an amazing day, smile, have the best 2017 you can make of it and if you can keep on running!

Kevla

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 24 Dec 2016 at 00:44
You are just a diamond Bazza ,

What a fantastic post and I know you don't think it but such an ambassador (one in a million)

Your writing just moves me beyond words you manage to say what I am thinking .

So Thank you for such a wonderful post and Happy Christmas but he Way and whilst I am on the subject of Xmas.

I would just like to wish everyone , our newbies who have only just been diagnosed, our oldies who have been on this forum for ever , for those of us in the inbertweeners and most of all those that have left for the great Xmas party in the sky a very Merry Xmas .

I will be raising a Huge Glass or Three to all .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 19:27

I thought I was your other woman!!!!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 01:33

Hi Bazza,

Great post, my sentiments exactly.

Turn back the clock ten years and I was worried, 2007 was not a good year, newly diagnosed, and slowly realising that my doctors hadn't really got a clue about my long term prospects, add to that colleagues at work joking with that workplace humour, "save yourself some money Dave, no point paying extra for an extended warranty on that new car/dishwasher/TV set!

It would have cheered me up no end to know that I would be celebrating in December 2016, with a nice glass of Famous Grouse, after taking my grandchildren to the cinema to see the latest Disney film, and my PSA down at 0.2 six months ago, with doctors so chilled that they don't think I need 3 monthly PSA tests anymore.

I am tempted to raise a toast to 2027, while being a little apprehensive, because that might be too much to ask for.  But back in 2007, 2017 seemed a distant pipedream.

So I'll settle for hoping 2017 turns out to be as good as 2016, a few walks with my mates, pub lunches with the good lady, trips to the beach with the grandchildren, life doesn't get any better.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 19:40

Amen to all of the above.

When I was diagnosed in July 2013, after the initial shock, I accepted that it was very highly probable that PCa would be the cause of the end of my life. That left two questions, when and how was I going to deal with it? I couldn't answer the when question although I could take some control by telling my Onco that quality of life was of greater importance to me than quantity of life.

As far as how I was going to deal with it, I had two choices, let it make me miserable and thus blight the lives of those who love me or treat the situation with a sense of optimism and a resolve to enjoy my life to the full. It was an easy choice, the outcome was going to be the same whichever course I took but getting from A to B was going to be far worse if I chose the first course.

I hope to not falter from this course all the way to B.

Edited by member 22 Dec 2016 at 21:17  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 18:07
Great post ,enjoy Christmas and a happy new year to you and your family

Debby

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 18:55

Lovely post Barry.

A Merry Christmas to you too and a Happy and Healthier 2017. Live, love, laugh eh.

We've been to Dalyan. Stayed there a fortnight a couple of years ago. Self catering in the lovely Dalyan River Suites complex at the end of the track leading to the pomegranate fields and the little boat ferry that capsized while we were there, under the sheer weight of fruit and it went sailing down the river.

It was late in the season and we ended up the only couple staying in the complex so had the pool entirely to ourselves. The villas were part of the Aydos hotel next door and they offered to move us in there but we just loved the seclusion. Lovely people, lovely part of the country.

One of the best holidays we have ever had

Edited by member 21 Dec 2016 at 19:31  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 19:27

I thought I was your other woman!!!!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 19:48
Barry

Hadn't quite clocked before that you and I were both diagnosed at 46.

You may find it hard to believe, but you inspire me. I'll get my histology report on 4th January. So, at the moment, I'm not quite sure what the future holds, but when I read of you and your travels, I think whatever they throw at me, I'm going to fight, enjoy life and travel like Bazza. So, thank you my friend.

I'd recommend Croatia - an absolutely stunning country and not too far away.

Walter

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 20:09
Oh, but Lyn, you are. Wyborowa is only my Polish bit on the side.
User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 20:12
Thank you, Barry. Another great piece of writing.

I hope you and your family have a very Happy Christmas this year and many years to come.

Steve

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 21:05

Thanks bazza we all have our cross to bear ( just that some are heavier than others) keep bearing the load , , , it get's lighter with time.  .  . My very best regards and my compliments of the season to all.

F-N-F

life's a b****- then you die!!!!!
User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 23:38

A great post and beautiful writing , I am one of the newbies coming to terms with things with a Gleason of 8 and a PSA of 23 , I am using prostap at the moment and start my radiotherapy in a few hours time Thursday 22 December .

Looking at the various posts you can't help but feel for people and get a little no i mean to say very emotional .

God bless you  Bazza and all those who suffer this awful illness .

To all have as merry a Christmas as you can and a healthier 2017.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 01:33

Hi Bazza,

Great post, my sentiments exactly.

Turn back the clock ten years and I was worried, 2007 was not a good year, newly diagnosed, and slowly realising that my doctors hadn't really got a clue about my long term prospects, add to that colleagues at work joking with that workplace humour, "save yourself some money Dave, no point paying extra for an extended warranty on that new car/dishwasher/TV set!

It would have cheered me up no end to know that I would be celebrating in December 2016, with a nice glass of Famous Grouse, after taking my grandchildren to the cinema to see the latest Disney film, and my PSA down at 0.2 six months ago, with doctors so chilled that they don't think I need 3 monthly PSA tests anymore.

I am tempted to raise a toast to 2027, while being a little apprehensive, because that might be too much to ask for.  But back in 2007, 2017 seemed a distant pipedream.

So I'll settle for hoping 2017 turns out to be as good as 2016, a few walks with my mates, pub lunches with the good lady, trips to the beach with the grandchildren, life doesn't get any better.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 08:14
Bazza, your longevity gives hope to many and your words as ever eloquently put.

Just over 2 years ago I was diagnosed and told I may only have 2 years. I remember Xmas 2014 thinking it was the last one I would ever physically enjoy (mentally it was already spoilt somewhat) but in Jan 2015 I made the decision to keep my glass half full or even overflowed rather than half empty or broken. It was my decision, no one told me or helped me as such but a defining time when I took over my emotions and plans rather than them taking over me.

My journey of biclutamide, docetaxl, radiotherapy, zoladex and now abiriterone have got me here, still with a love of life, places to go, things to do, races to be run, memories to make. I have like you Bazza, been to countries I never thought I would, run races that I only ever dreamed of, met new communities both here on this forum and in the ultra running world who are such wonderful people and I hope made some great memories for all who are important to me.

The current drug regime will last as long as it does, next blood test 3rd Jan, but until the tubby lady is warbling I am going for it. I have 1,000 miles of races accross deserts, mountains and glaciers planned for 2017, family holidays, football to watch, school plays to watch, people to hug, drink to be drunk (I like Jack Daniels honey!) and if health stops me short in some of those I will at least know that I didn't wait and never gave up.

I have now raised over £53,000 for PCUK , i have more to do for them, I have presented to around 1,000 people over 8 sessions around the country about pc, my employer , the much maligned but in truth to me wonderful RBS have been so good to me, they could have done no more supporting my wife and I.

So like you Bazza here is to great memories of 2016 and some more good ones to be made in 2017. I still say to everyone healthy or not , your day is what you want it to be. When you get out of bed every day you can choose to smile or scowl, if you do the former your day and the day for those around you will be better, if you choose to be Victor Meldrew then guess what your day will be like.

Have an amazing day, smile, have the best 2017 you can make of it and if you can keep on running!

Kevla

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 09:49

Great post Bazza - as the like button has disappeared on your post, here's a written "like" for the moderators to add!

Seasons greetings to one and all!

Flexi

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 10:16

Thanks for the kind comments guys and gals. Just giving my wife my last minute Christmas list. Top pick is a bra! You say Honey, I say double GG!!!!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 19:40

Amen to all of the above.

When I was diagnosed in July 2013, after the initial shock, I accepted that it was very highly probable that PCa would be the cause of the end of my life. That left two questions, when and how was I going to deal with it? I couldn't answer the when question although I could take some control by telling my Onco that quality of life was of greater importance to me than quantity of life.

As far as how I was going to deal with it, I had two choices, let it make me miserable and thus blight the lives of those who love me or treat the situation with a sense of optimism and a resolve to enjoy my life to the full. It was an easy choice, the outcome was going to be the same whichever course I took but getting from A to B was going to be far worse if I chose the first course.

I hope to not falter from this course all the way to B.

Edited by member 22 Dec 2016 at 21:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Dec 2016 at 00:44
You are just a diamond Bazza ,

What a fantastic post and I know you don't think it but such an ambassador (one in a million)

Your writing just moves me beyond words you manage to say what I am thinking .

So Thank you for such a wonderful post and Happy Christmas but he Way and whilst I am on the subject of Xmas.

I would just like to wish everyone , our newbies who have only just been diagnosed, our oldies who have been on this forum for ever , for those of us in the inbertweeners and most of all those that have left for the great Xmas party in the sky a very Merry Xmas .

I will be raising a Huge Glass or Three to all .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON