I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Coping with hot sweats

User
Posted 31 Dec 2016 at 17:18
Does anyone have any experience of taking Black Cohosh to mitigate the effects of frequent hot flashes? ARe there any reasons why I shouldn't try it while on hormone therapy?

User
Posted 31 Dec 2016 at 23:30

Hello Charlie,

I don't know whether Black Cohosh would help a man with hot flushes I do know a lot of women take it for theirs.

You sometimes have to be careful with "natural" remedies as they can interact with prescription medication as in the case of St John's Wort.

Best to ask either your doctor or pharmacist.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 10:01
Hi Charlie

May I suggest that you check with your MacMillan nurse about natural remedies, my husband uses evening primrose for flushes but we checked first, some of the natural things can be counter productive with hormone treatments, best to be safer

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 11:00

Hi Charlie,

In all the years on this site, the only natural remedy that I have heard of that has any sort of health warning is Saw Palmetto.

Even that doesn't actually do you any harm, but it does cause the PSA reading to be reduced, so it is important if you are on any sort of treatment where your PSA level is being monitored as a means of evaluating the success of that treatment to avoid Saw Palmetto.

Other than that you can fill your boots with natural remedies.

My best tip for hot flushes is to get your hair cut shorter, you can quickly lose a lot of heat through the top of your head.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 12:06

Yes, thanks for that. It's why I asked the question in the first place, and I share your views. Thanks again.