Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My dad was diagnosed and I need advice

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 23:30
Hi all

New to this site but I thought this would be the best place. Before Christmas my dad was diagnosed with Prostate cancer.

He has been told it's early stages he's been given hormone shots and tablets.

He had his MRI and Bone Density Scan 2 weeks ago.

What I want to know is what next? I'm terrified the MRI will show something more sinister.

User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 02:22

Hi,

Just wanted to welcome you to the site even though I'm sorry you find yourself having to come here.

It's a very worrying time when a loved one is diagnosed and you're waiting for test results but hopefully it will have been caught at an early stage.

Please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind, there will always be someone here who can provide support.

Try not to worry. 

Steve

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 23:30
Hi all

New to this site but I thought this would be the best place. Before Christmas my dad was diagnosed with Prostate cancer.

He has been told it's early stages he's been given hormone shots and tablets.

He had his MRI and Bone Density Scan 2 weeks ago.

What I want to know is what next? I'm terrified the MRI will show something more sinister.

User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 09:46

Hello Labs and welcome from me too.

Since dad has already been diagnosed and treatment started you might benefit from looking at The Toolkit from Publications in this site.

There will be a section on Hormone Therapy among others and it will help you understand how is likely to be feeling. HT can make some men emotional, especially in the early stages of diagnosis and then treatment.

It's scary for the PC man and just as scary for his family.

As Steve says, feel free to ask questions, or come on and have rant when it all gets too much.

If dad will let you go to appointments with him that may be a good idea because there is so much information to take in. Get him to write down his questions and if there is somebody with him they could also write down the answers.

If you know what dad's PSA and Gleason scores/Grading were it might help with advice.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 07:13

Sorry to hear that your dad has diagnosed with prostate cancer. (link removed by moderator). Hope your dad will recover soon. God bless him and may he live long. Take care.

Edited by moderator 17 Jan 2017 at 10:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 11:05

The radical treatment given in the above link relates only to surgery or radiation. There are other treatment options for suitable candidates, something some men are prepared to investigate.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 02:22

Hi,

Just wanted to welcome you to the site even though I'm sorry you find yourself having to come here.

It's a very worrying time when a loved one is diagnosed and you're waiting for test results but hopefully it will have been caught at an early stage.

Please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind, there will always be someone here who can provide support.

Try not to worry. 

Steve

User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 09:46

Hello Labs and welcome from me too.

Since dad has already been diagnosed and treatment started you might benefit from looking at The Toolkit from Publications in this site.

There will be a section on Hormone Therapy among others and it will help you understand how is likely to be feeling. HT can make some men emotional, especially in the early stages of diagnosis and then treatment.

It's scary for the PC man and just as scary for his family.

As Steve says, feel free to ask questions, or come on and have rant when it all gets too much.

If dad will let you go to appointments with him that may be a good idea because there is so much information to take in. Get him to write down his questions and if there is somebody with him they could also write down the answers.

If you know what dad's PSA and Gleason scores/Grading were it might help with advice.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 07:13

Sorry to hear that your dad has diagnosed with prostate cancer. (link removed by moderator). Hope your dad will recover soon. God bless him and may he live long. Take care.

Edited by moderator 17 Jan 2017 at 10:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 11:05

The radical treatment given in the above link relates only to surgery or radiation. There are other treatment options for suitable candidates, something some men are prepared to investigate.

Barry
User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 11:16

Thanks everyone, Dad seems to be tolerating the hormone treatment quite well. As he is prone to forget things he actually forgets he has PC so that's a plus!

User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 18:33

Your Dad was great to tell you l. I made the mistake of keeping it quiet for a time. Hormone treatment eg Zoladex is a real b...d. It make you very tired. In my case my mornings were OK but fatigue hit me in the afternoon like a sunami. When the hormones finished the Testosterone is zero and then he will have another hill to climb. Thats the hilI I am on. My son got me an a ipad and put Netflix on it. Saved my life during the dark patches. Your Dad is a hero and needs distractions when he is knackered.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 14:23

OttoK, I have just completed a 4 month course of zoladex and I too have experienced periods of energetic activity then suddenly hit a "brick wall" of intense tiredness often requiring an afternoon nap!
Also, don't forget the frequent bouts of "hot flushes"!
However, if the end result is survival, then these inconveniences are a price well worth paying😁