I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

radical surgery, radiotherapy now hormone injections

User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 16:07

hi everyone i am new to this form of conversing so please bear with me. i am a 63 years old guy who was diagnosed with a pt2b gleason 3+4=7 Prostate Ca ncer in december 2013 after being observed with problems in the waterworks dept and taking Tamalosin for about 18 months and psa blood tests every 12 weeks, which up until being diagnosed was about 4.00 then jumped to 7.40. i had a Robotic assis Prostatectomy 1st April 2014 all went well , six week psa 0.09, requested pathology report and it showed a pt3a gleason 4+5 9 prostate cancer which had broken the capsual, i was then asked if i would like to join the Radicals trial of which i did, and was randamised to wait and see if psa increased, after 3 tests of 0.12, 0.25 and 0.26 i then had 20 sessions of radiotherapy in May 2015, six months psa was 3.80, six weeks later 6'20 then 8.02 and in April it was decieded to start  Hormone treatment being Cosadex for 0ne month after 2 weeks on cosadex i would have a prostap injection my psa then was nearly 10.00 , it now being a stage that a cure  would be unlikely. Three monthly psa quickly brought my psa down to 0'07, my next injection 3 months (12 weeks) 0.06 my next psa result 7th feb my point being has anyone out there got similar diognostics .                                   

User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 18:43

Hello Wando and welcome to the site.

I'm sure you'll get replies but you might need a little patience.

Best wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 00:31

Hello J,

Although many men may present with similar stats at diagnosis, some even having similar treatment early on, their response can then differ greatly. There are a number of reasons for this, the various types of cancer, where it is and is going, the effectiveness and timeliness of treatment in individual cases being some of them. Then if the disease advances, different consultants may decide on various further treatment options or combinations at certain stages or feel treatment within a trial could be of benefit. This means that an individual's rough and rocky road may be very different from others. So it may be that there is nobody here at present or has seen your post, that closely matches the path you have taken and has very similar statistics. This is perhaps a reason for lack of replies.

Some forms of HT can quickly reduce PSA and it seems Prosrap is doing so. I hope that will help control your cancer for a very long time but again this is something that works better and longer for some.

Barry
User
Posted 23 Jan 2017 at 17:12

Thanks Barry, i agree with everything you have said and am sure there are plenty out therewith varying degrees of success with diognosis,treatment and side effects, long may everyone enjoy success in battling this manly cancer.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 13:24

Not that quick a reply, well friends have now been on hormone injections (Prostap 3) for about 18 months and coped quite well with side effects, and had most, at my six monthly appointment with oncology consultant this week for psa blood results i found psa had risen from 0.09 in august 2017 to 0.91 feb 2018 a bit of a jump explained to consultant i was getting more pain in lower back, right buttock and pelvic area , i am now being sent for CT scan and he wants to see me in 12 weeks with another psa blood test and results from scan, fingers crossed it is not spread.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 15:33

Good luck wando.

I'll keep everything crossed for you !

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 19:33
Hi Wando

If you check my profile I have had similar treatments but you are further ahead. I have only been on HT for approaching a year but had great results with Prostap 3.

My onco only gives my PSA as being less than 0.1 and therefore undetectable for the last two readings.

I will follow your progress with interest. At my last appointment I mentioned the aches and pains but she said (and wrote in the notes to my GP) that as the PSA remains undetectable that they are sure that these are unrelated and due to normal wear and tear.

All the best with the scan.

Kevan

User
Posted 15 Jun 2018 at 22:40
Wando reporting on my latest psa and scan resuts, i am now 22 monthe since starting homone therapy (Prostap3) and as of March 2018 metatastic hormone refactory with 2 mets 1 in verta brae and 1 in left hip, my psa now .99 my consultant has added biclutamide one tablet daily and will see me next in september with latest psa results. fingers crossed.