I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA confused !

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 20:10
This is probably a stupid question but here it goes ..

my husband will have his first PSA since having his RP in December at the end of January. If his PSA levels have dropped right down , does that mean his cancer has gone ?

We have to take his blood test results with us to the consultant as one hospital doesn't talk to another, so we will have his results before the consultant sees them .

Thanks in advance

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 21:20

You will be hoping for an indetectable psa of < 0.1.
Something approx 0.05.
This indicates a really successful operation and bulk cancer removal. However unfortunately this level still has to be monitored closely. If the surgeon has left cancer cells behind they can start to multiply again and lead to a rise in levels which will necessitate further treatment. Some people believe cancer can never be fully eradicated due to tiny amounts spreading around the body and laying dormant or growing incredibly slowly , but prostate cancer is mainly a slow growing cancer , and recurrence can take many many years and even then be further controlled with radiotherapy and hormone therapy and chemo etc

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 22:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My husband was told they were able to spare the nerves , as for everything else have to wait for his first consultation since the RD . Here's keeping everything crossed for him
Thank you

[/quote

The signs are very hopeful in the fact that they saved the nerves.  They would only do that if they believed that any cancer was contained and had not spread to the nerve bundles.

Realistically, unfortunately, until examination in a dish in a Lab is conducted, no one can be sure.

But the signs are looking good.

Focus on that.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 21:20

You will be hoping for an indetectable psa of < 0.1.
Something approx 0.05.
This indicates a really successful operation and bulk cancer removal. However unfortunately this level still has to be monitored closely. If the surgeon has left cancer cells behind they can start to multiply again and lead to a rise in levels which will necessitate further treatment. Some people believe cancer can never be fully eradicated due to tiny amounts spreading around the body and laying dormant or growing incredibly slowly , but prostate cancer is mainly a slow growing cancer , and recurrence can take many many years and even then be further controlled with radiotherapy and hormone therapy and chemo etc

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 22:03

Hi good luck with the consultancy. A really low PSA is the ideal. But you need the full histology report i.e. Gleason score, were margins clear, did they test any nodes, were nerves spared or not.

Unfortunately there are never any guarantees but you can just hope for the best results possible. But PSA testing will be a part of your lives now regardless of the results

Here's hoping for a great result

Bri

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 22:07

My husband was told they were able to spare the nerves , as for everything else have to wait for his first consultation since the RD . Here's keeping everything crossed for him
Thank you

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 22:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thank you

[/quote

The signs are very hopeful in the fact that they saved the nerves.  They would only do that if they believed that any cancer was contained and had not spread to the nerve bundles.

Realistically, unfortunately, until examination in a dish in a Lab is conducted, no one can be sure.

But the signs are looking good.

Focus on that.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.