I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Outages

User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 01:53

Not sure where to post this but there have been several outages recently, one lasting more than 2 days but no advance notice of this as was given in the past or explanations afterwards that I can see.   Also, like another member who had a post disappear, this has just happened to me.  When I pressed the submit button (post) there just followed a message to join as though I was not signed in.  Clearly, there are still problems with the way the site works.

Barry
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 12:31

I'm an IT bod too. I suspect the outages were not prearranged. I suspect they were software crashes and thus we could not be forewarned. There have been 3 so far. There may well be more until the underlying problem is diagnosed.

Re tonypw's tip above. One other way of protecting your draft posts is:

1. Type for a couple of minutes.

2. Highlight the typed text using left click on your mouse/touchpad and dragging across the text.

3. Press Control key and C at the same time.

4. Open Word and paste.

5. Repeat from 1. above until you post to the forum.

QED.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 11:06

Hi everyone,

First of all let me apologise for the downtime we have experienced in the past week with the online community.

We have experienced two severe issues with our web server which were unexpected and led to the downtime on Mon 9 and Tue 10 Jan. Unfortunately we didn’t get any warning of the issues so we were unable to post a message regarding the unexpected downtime. Before we had chance to post regarding the initial downtime the issue reoccurred on Wed 11 Jan.

On Friday 13 Jan the website and online community needed to be taken offline for essential maintenance as a matter of urgency. It was important the work was completed as quickly as possible so we didn’t get chance to forewarn you of the necessary maintenance and downtime. We did however send tweets to tell supporters our site was down for essential maintenance.

I have noticed a couple of you have said you have experienced issues posting over the weekend. All of our server issues should be resolved, so if you do experience any issues when using the community please email onlinecommunity@prostatecanceruk.org with as much detail as possible for us to investigate further.

We are sorry for the disruption caused and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best wishes,

Carol

Digital Manager
Prostate Cancer UK

User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 01:53

Not sure where to post this but there have been several outages recently, one lasting more than 2 days but no advance notice of this as was given in the past or explanations afterwards that I can see.   Also, like another member who had a post disappear, this has just happened to me.  When I pressed the submit button (post) there just followed a message to join as though I was not signed in.  Clearly, there are still problems with the way the site works.

Barry
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 09:49
Hi Barry

Totally agree. I have been looking for reason or text explaining outage.

Incidentally Ive reported your post. ! Ie to get a response.

Regards Gordon
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 09:54
Totally agree Barry there has been no warning that the site would be down . I spent an hour typing an update on Trevor for it to just disappear. . If I had known I would have waited until the site was back to normal.
Not good enough PCUK we should have had some warning. My heart also goes out to newbies asking for help who probably thought that no one cared because of lack of response.
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 11:55

No, the site should not have gone down in such an uncontrollable fashion. That was not very professional.

From one who spent 25 or so years messing about with IT professionally; whenever I want to type in a lump of text of more than a few sentences, I do it off line (e.g. this is being typed in 'Notes' on an iPad; other similar applications are available), then just copy and paste into the end application. This step saves a lot of grief and pain when one of the multitude of components of an Internet application refuses to perform as expected AND, in my case particularly, allows my brain to catch up with my fingers and double check what I have typed.

Advice ends...

Tony
TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 09:49
Hi Barry

Totally agree. I have been looking for reason or text explaining outage.

Incidentally Ive reported your post. ! Ie to get a response.

Regards Gordon
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 09:54
Totally agree Barry there has been no warning that the site would be down . I spent an hour typing an update on Trevor for it to just disappear. . If I had known I would have waited until the site was back to normal.
Not good enough PCUK we should have had some warning. My heart also goes out to newbies asking for help who probably thought that no one cared because of lack of response.
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 10:10

For the last two days I have had to sign in again, going right through the process as it takes me back to the original page where it says the site has moved and I need to re-sign in.
I normally stay logged in so I shouldn't be receiving this message

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 11:55

No, the site should not have gone down in such an uncontrollable fashion. That was not very professional.

From one who spent 25 or so years messing about with IT professionally; whenever I want to type in a lump of text of more than a few sentences, I do it off line (e.g. this is being typed in 'Notes' on an iPad; other similar applications are available), then just copy and paste into the end application. This step saves a lot of grief and pain when one of the multitude of components of an Internet application refuses to perform as expected AND, in my case particularly, allows my brain to catch up with my fingers and double check what I have typed.

Advice ends...

Tony
TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 12:31

I'm an IT bod too. I suspect the outages were not prearranged. I suspect they were software crashes and thus we could not be forewarned. There have been 3 so far. There may well be more until the underlying problem is diagnosed.

Re tonypw's tip above. One other way of protecting your draft posts is:

1. Type for a couple of minutes.

2. Highlight the typed text using left click on your mouse/touchpad and dragging across the text.

3. Press Control key and C at the same time.

4. Open Word and paste.

5. Repeat from 1. above until you post to the forum.

QED.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 11:06

Hi everyone,

First of all let me apologise for the downtime we have experienced in the past week with the online community.

We have experienced two severe issues with our web server which were unexpected and led to the downtime on Mon 9 and Tue 10 Jan. Unfortunately we didn’t get any warning of the issues so we were unable to post a message regarding the unexpected downtime. Before we had chance to post regarding the initial downtime the issue reoccurred on Wed 11 Jan.

On Friday 13 Jan the website and online community needed to be taken offline for essential maintenance as a matter of urgency. It was important the work was completed as quickly as possible so we didn’t get chance to forewarn you of the necessary maintenance and downtime. We did however send tweets to tell supporters our site was down for essential maintenance.

I have noticed a couple of you have said you have experienced issues posting over the weekend. All of our server issues should be resolved, so if you do experience any issues when using the community please email onlinecommunity@prostatecanceruk.org with as much detail as possible for us to investigate further.

We are sorry for the disruption caused and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best wishes,

Carol

Digital Manager
Prostate Cancer UK

User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 18:56

Thanks for the update Carol

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Jan 2017 at 22:39
Thanks Carol