I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Start of a new journey!

User
Posted 22 Jan 2017 at 14:15
Well my father lived with prostate cancer for 18 years. It came as no surprise that I was diagnosed with PC in October 2011 at the age of 57 just after he died. At the time of diagnosis, cancer was also found in a lymph node so I was immediately put on Zolodex injections. For the last 5 years these have worked pretty well with PSA at best being 1.4 rising gradually to around 4.5 in January 2016. Since then life has been a bit of a roller coaster with PSA doubling every three months. In September 2016 I began to experience pain in my right hip. The pain became so bad that I had to go to A&E. Scans showed that the cancer had spread to my hip. Over the next two weeks I was given pain relief of Zomorph and Gabapentin which worked well. I was then given four sessions of radiotherapy which have really helped with the pain. My PSA is presently 29. I am about to begin Xtandi or Enzalutamide as it is more commonly known. I am hoping that this medication is as good as reports suggest. I guess no one really knows how long I will be on this drug but let's hope that it is for a good while and that monthly monitoring at the hospital shows good results. I know that I am lucky to be offered this expensive treatment. At 62 I feel pretty good and healthy apart from usual tiredness with aches and pains when I move. I'll post updates on my progress with Xtandi.
User
Posted 22 Jan 2017 at 19:26

Sorry that things took a turn for the worst for you Clivey but glad for you that the medical staff are on top of the pain.

Your positive attitude can only help.

I'm sure others who have undergone your treatments will compare notes with you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Jan 2017 at 20:13

Clivey,

Click on my name and see the graph below to see how long Xtandi protected me for.

http://imageshack.com/i/pnwJ0WkAp

Hope it's as good for you.

David

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 03:54
Very sorry to hear of your on-going highs and lows. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Good Luck

Boyd