I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

glucosamine sulphate with chondroitin

User
Posted 22 Jan 2017 at 22:43

hi,i have been taking the above for hip arthritis for which i have been recently diagnosed,but i have been reading reports that if you have prostate cancer do not take sulphate chondroitin,because it could cause recurrence,anyone else heard about this,any help please.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2017 at 08:30

I've taken Glucosomine Sulphate with or without chondroitin for years. Does it help? Mentally perhaps because I think I'm doing something for myself. I have left it off for months at a time and it always feels like the arthritis is worse so go back on it.

However, I do not have prostate cancer. I did a quick check ( I expect you already have scoured the web looking for information) and there is no cut and dried answer is there?

The following is just an example of one lot of info but then they probably make the stuff.

How long have you been taking it radar as it takes many months before there is a noticeable difference?

It might be best to ask the experts because even if there is no definitive answer they may suggest you don't take the risk.

Perhaps other men on here have/are using Glucosomine and will be able to give their take on your question. Hope so for your sake. I've bumped your post at any rate

http://www.biocare.co.uk/

Side Effects
Nausea may occur at intakes greater than 10 grams per day. No other adverse effects have been reported.

One doctor has raised a concern that chondroitin sulphate should not be used by men with prostate cancer. This concern is based upon two studies. In one, the concentration of chondroitin sulphate was found to be higher in cancerous prostate tissue as compared to normal prostate tissue.3 In the other study, it was shown that higher concentrations of chondroitin sulphate in the tissue surrounding a cancerous prostate tumour predict a higher rate of recurrence of the cancer after surgery.4 However, no studies to date have addressed the question of whether taking chondroitin sulphate supplements could promote the development of prostate cancer. Simply because a substance is present in or around cancerous tissue does not by itself suggest that that substance is causing the cancer. For example, calcium is a component of atherosclerotic plaques that harden the arteries; however, there is no evidence that taking calcium supplements causes atherosclerosis. To provide meaningful information, further studies would need to track the incidence of prostate cancer in men taking chondroitin supplements. Until then, most nutritionally-oriented doctors remain unconcerned about this issue.

Interactions with Supplements, Foods, & Other Compounds

Edited by member 23 Jan 2017 at 08:31  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Jan 2017 at 09:40

thanks johsan,i have only been taking it for a week think i will stop using till further notice,they say glucosamine is better on its own.cheers.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2017 at 12:19

anyone else any views.