Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Genomic test to help decision making in low risk diagnosis

User
Posted 05 Feb 2017 at 17:39
http://prostate-cancer.oncotypedx.com/en-US/Professional/GenomicApproach

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of these tests.

My husband is Gleason 6 (3+3) advised to have an RP which we are concerned is an over treatment and are wondering if one of these tests might help to inform

I was wondering if it had helped anyone else?

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 05 Feb 2017 at 23:28

The objective is good and badly needed. The question is how good is this in practice and if reliable why has it's use not been more widely advocated and adopted?

An interesting one to run past your consultant.

Barry
User
Posted 05 Feb 2017 at 23:45

I can't think of anyone who has ever posted on here that they have had this type of assessment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 10:27

Thanks both,

We are going to e mail our urologist and ask the question. There appear to be four broadly similar tests available ( see link) but I have not researched in any depth as thought i would ask first.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/prostatecancerinfolink.net/2014/10/11/genomicgenetic-tests-for-risk-for-clinically-significant-prostate-cancer/amp/?client=safari

It does seem sensible to get as much Intel as possible about these low risk diagnosis given the acknowledged problem with over treatment. on these guys, the impact that unnecessary treatment has on their lives but also the resources being used both in the radical treatments themselves but then the ED resources that could be redirected to the guys for whom a radical treatment and ED support is essential.

I will let you know what he says and keep researching to see if its been discredited or even trialled. I will ring the companies direct as that often is easiest. I will been aware of their economic interest in their products and have professional scepticism built in to my profession so will be applying as ever.

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 16:07

I came across these tests too (for example, see https://zerocancer.org/learn/newly-diagnosed/genomic-testing/), and asked our consultant who didn't think much of them. Seems they are used more commonly in the States, available privately here, but without the breadth and depth of testing to mean they're acknowledged by the NHS. I'm guessing more of this kind of thing will come onstream over the next 10 years....not sure if there's enough evidence to say they can help our guys right now though.

Janet

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 20:21

Thanks Janet,

Yes I think your guess is right and in 10 years time things will be done very differently.

Looks very useful to me..waiting a response from our urologist but expecting to hear same as you.

Hmmm ..interesting though!