I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Win one lose one?

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 11:49

For some years my wife and I have been having a couple of problems with my excessive snoring and falling asleep at friends' houses, in restaurants, at home etc and more trips to the toilet for a pee and more night time micturations than should be usual. Three or four episodes of waking up at night for toilet was quite a regular thing.

First problem - it's got to the point where for the last 18 months I now sleep downstairs in a sleeping bag on an airbed so she can get some sleep. Our son in the next bedroom could hear me snoring it was so bad. The falling asleep when with other people was embarrassing. I saw my doctor and to cut a long story short have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnoea and now use a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine every night, complete with flexible air tube and full face mask that makes me look like something out of Star Wars. So what has this to do with prostate cancer? Read on! 

Second problem - We couldn't go out for a walk in the countryside for any length of time without my having to go behind bushes etc, or go shopping without me having to clear off to the Gents every so often and it got very annoying for both of us. I'm 69 and decided to have something done about this and after numerous PSA's, a flow test etc, an MRI scan and 12 needle biopsy (no anaesthetic, is that usual?), the result was that on 31st January was told I have very small tumours of non-aggressive prostate cancer in the right hand half of my prostate. My consultant said I'm a lucky man - well that depends on your point of view.

So what links the two problems? Soon after I started using the CPAP machine my night time pees have dramatically reduced. Quite often I now sleep through uninterrupted from say 11.30 to 6 or 6.30 am, or get out of the sleeping bag just once, never more than that. The CPAP consultant told me the medical reason why this is so, but doesn't need going into here. What I'm saying is that anyone with PCa who has to get out of bed too often could perhaps suggest to his GP that sleep apnoea may be the problem. If so, the relevant sleep tests at home etc will follow. Food for thought!

I wonder if anyone else has come across this

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 15:38

Hi
Thanks for info. May help my cousin.
Re. Your pca. What course of action for you ?
What Gleason value and PSA. Biopsy is generally just local topical 'gel aesthetic' ?  probably lidocaine based or similar ?   Although I did discover my brother (lives in Australia) had an injection local aesthetic and he said his was painless. ?  That was late 2016. (mine was late 2014 in UK / NHS)

Ie should just be uncomfort. .. I've only had one and had bleeding and the first 10 or so needles were 'ok' . However 1 I think the guy was checking his text messages ! And mis fired. He did apologise and obviously was targeting around I assume around nerves. I didn't ask for full details and frankly glad to limp off the table and into recovery.   

As you know it doesn't take too long however there must have been about at least 6 folk maybe more present. I think it was work experience training. . Lol

Maybe they should have moved me from the waiting room..

Edited by member 08 Feb 2017 at 15:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Feb 2017 at 10:36

Hi Robgsr, 

This might surprise you but I wasn't told my psa or Gleason values. I'm glad my post might help ypur cousin though. I don't think I had a gel anaesthetic as I heard a nurse say to another patient that my consultant doesn't use anaesthetic. I had a bit of blood in my water on and off for nearly two weeks but there's none now.

My course of action is watchful waiting - no tests etc and I see him in six months' time. He said mine is non-aggressive and told me I'm a lucky man. Yeah well, that all depends on your definition of good luck. I'd rather be luckier still and not have the damn problem.

We had a good laugh after my last needle. I said to the consultant I expect you get fed up of seeing people's backsides. Quick as a flash one of the nurses said "He recognises his patients by their backsides." It was so funny, we all fell about.

You sound like quite a comedian, some of the comments you made!