I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I've got a question.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 17:00
Is it frequent to have a spread PC and 4'2 PSA?

I mean, there is any connection between cancer having spread and PSA level?

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 18:16

I'm going to assume by spread PC you mean PC that has breached the prostate capsule and thus started to spread to other parts of the body, most usually the bones but also the lymph nodes and other organs. When PC has spread to other parts of the body it has become incurable but it is still treatable. My PC is incurable.

PC that has not spread outside the prostate capsule is potentially curable. There are a number of treatments including prostate removal and radiotherapy.

There are many different types of PC (at least 27) but the most common is adenocarcinoma. Which type of PC we have can only be determined after a positive biopsy (positive meaning cancerous cells have been found).

Generally the lower the PSA, the less likely that it has spread outside of the prostate capsule. However, PC is a real b1tch of a disease in that it doesn't follow any hard and fast rules and can vary from man to man.

So what can we deduce? Your husband's PSA score is low. Two previous biopsy's haven't found any cancerous cells. Therefore, it seems to me that there is a pretty good chance that if he has got PC, and that's the first big if, then it may well not have spread as yet. However, there are no guarantees although if I was you I'd feel justified in being hopeful that your husband could well have a good outcome from any tests and treatments.

I have a maxim I follow, plan for the worst and hope for the best, that way I only ever get nice surprises.

Edited by member 15 Feb 2017 at 18:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 18:57
Surely the Gleason score is more important as to whether it may have spread. My OH had a Gleason of 6 and psa of 3.7 rising to 4.3 in 6 months. He was refused a bone scan as they said with a Gleason of 6 and low psa it won't have spread. Though I have seen on here low psa that has spread but I'm sure the Gleason would be higher. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will tell you.
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 19:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Surely the Gleason score is more important as to whether it may have spread.

Lola's husband doesn't have a Gleason score as yet since he hasn't had a positive biopsy. Therefore, the only data we have to work with at the current time is his PSA history and his negative biopsy history.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 19:43

It turns out my psa was between 4 and 6 for two years at a young age of 45. No one took much notice. Then at 47 my psa hit 15 and within months was 43. I was kind of urged into surgery at 48 but it had already spread to 5 lymph nodes and my bladder neck. But good advice above. Score isn't always a true indicator but rate of change often is

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 20:08

Lola it will be much easier for members to respond if you stick to one or two threads for now - starting a new thread every time you think of something makes it hard for us to keep track (as per sjtb above)

Yes it is possible to have a very low PSA and spread all over the body but this is extremely rare and is usually because the man has a particularly rare type of prostate cancer. In your case, the low PSA coupled with two clear biopsies and clear lymph nodes suggests that it is a small tumour. Your mpMRI results indicate it is a small tumour at the apex of the gland with clear seminal vesicles. With everything that you already know, it is extremely unlikely that they are going to find it running rampant around your husband's body.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 09:57

There are times in our lives Lola when we all need a prop (something that holds something else up. )

We all do better with a little help, especially when we are frightened. You have your own problems and Paco's are adding to them so I do understand that you are finding life difficult at the moment.

Of course you're in shock and you are also tired from a long and stressful journey but you do need to allow yourself time to slow down and trying not to panic every time a new thought pops in to your head.

Paco's biopsy wait time is not unusual so try not to fret about the length of time. You both need your strength for the coming months so in the meantime, try (hard as that is going to be) to relax and enjoy life together.

If you need to talk, then you know where we are

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 23:30

HI,Lyn, CoIU and all there:

I'm afraid I've driven the two of you you to a big missunderstanding, both because of my bad English on medical words and my anxiety as well.

I quite understand what you say, your fear for my panic and the doctors trying to sell us the most recent things, but fortunately tha's not the case.

You may find it somehow a bit strange. I'll try to explain it at the same time I apologyce for my English.

Paco's PSA was 4.2. Two negative biopsies within 12 years. PSA up and down, lately lower than before. He had had prostate infection twice. Last time, two years ago, during summer vacation on south. He took antibiotics and infection stoped, but, since he has one only kidney, the emergency doctor did an ultrasonography of his abdomen to be certain everything was ok. And it was.

Paco continued to test his PSA: coming down and up but never increasing gradually. At present it's 4.2 as said above.Lower than before. His uro in La Coruña was not sure about giving him a third biopsy, Then suddenly, we learned from a relative suffering PC that there exists the mpMRI. I know it's used for guided biopsies. We went to his relatives's doctor and he said, after seeing Paco's PSA history:

"Well, I don't think you have anything serious but it if you want to have this test done, ok"

The test was done with no biopsy, but to our astonishment the PIRADS 5, pointed to a PC. Then back to the uro and decided to carry on with the biopsy. He said that time:

I'll do the biopsy, but not a guided one as we can see where it is located and it's easy to get there and take the samples.

In adition we had to wait unit March 23th.

We wanted a guided biopsy, so we talked to another uro and he said he would see him and do the guided biopsy.

We are going to Madrid again on the next tuesday.

I'm not sure if it it is more clear now.

The doctor will do mpMRI biopsy.

Lyn, I agree with you that we have to be aware of doctors trying to sell recent thing, but this is not the point. We are not paying for it. Well, actually we pay monthly a part of the required amount (the other part is payed by the company Paco used to work for), but doctors don't get much money from it as health insurances gives them less money than they get privately.

Sorry for my long post, but I wanted you to know about all this stuff, because you are my support.

My two sons live here in Coruña, but I don't want to bring them worries. My daughter lives in Madrid. She doesn't like to talk about it, she looks after his dad.

Good night.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 07:14

Lola,

I hope things go well for you both on Wednesday.

David

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 08:24

Hey Lola, it certainly is a scary time. We have just been through diagnosis and a radical prostatectomy with still some uncertainty about final outcomes but we are hopeful, or rather I am. My husband who also suffers from anxiety is still finding it hard. We my have turned a corner yesterday though as he managed to leave the house for the first time.
Together you will get through this as you have every other trouble in your lives so far.
One day at a time.
Julie

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 09:14
July, as we say in Spain, "we seem to be traveling in the same train". Only one different think: I suffer of anxiety, my husband is quite a balanced one. So I must control myself to not drive him crazy.

Hope our hubbies do well and we can come back to our previous happiness.

I wish all the best for you. If you ever need to chat, just tell me.

Hug.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 04:32

Terrible nightmare. I've just woken up (it's 05:25) and couldn't stay in bed any longer. I dreamed that a nurse let me know that Paco's prognosis was awful. I felt as I wasn't able to endure it.

Actually, life itself is a nightmare now.

Sorry, I needed to share it with you.

Lola.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 07:20

Lola, I do understand your fears and frustrations but you are going to make yourself very ill if you continue like this, and then you'll be no help to Paco as he will end up worrying about you.

We can (and are) supportive and if just being here helps you then - great.

There is only so much we can do though. We won't give up on the listening ear and shoulder to lean on but I think you need ore help than we can give you.

Have you been to speak to your Doctor and asked for help?

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 08:10

Thanks for your advice and for caring me.

Actually my fears are hidden inside, so, I hope, at least at the present moment, I'm not harming Paco, but I can't help thinking of this subject all day long.

Apart from my logical worries, I'm ok. I'm healthy and it is good that I've been under pshychiatric treatment for long time. I'm afraid you may now assume that I'm a bit paranoid, and yes, I used to be, but right now, believe me when I say that this is not the point. Only do I need to share my feelings so as to get some relief, some information, etc, and also because I've got nobody to talk to, and what is more, I don't want to badly involve my children for the moment.

Despite my experience in learning how to control and manage my emotions, I'm scared, very scared.

You know, it is surprising that I'm getting help from a British Forum. After having searched for a Spanish forum where I could get support and information, I googled in English and I luckily happened to come along this site. The support for PC websites in Spanish are not very helpful to me. I wonder why I only could find forums where instead of talking frankly and helpfully they only chatted about hope in God and all that stuff that, of course, I respect, but doesn't help me. Most of the members are from Latin América, therefore their points of view are pretty different.

Visiting the uro next wendsday in Madrid. I'm happy that my daughter and my in laws live there. In case I fail doing things the right way, they are resolute and can think clearly about the issue and help me manage the situation.

Thanks again from this little house in the middle of the country on northwest Spain.

All of you are amazing. I hope I can help as well when I feel better.

Lola.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 08:33

Lola,

I'm not an expert but I don't think an MRI will identify potential problems with metastases in bones. In the UK a nuclear medicine bone scan is used to identify potential metastases in the bones.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 09:30

No Lola, spread to the bones would not show on the scan. But on the basis that he has had two negative biopsies, his PSA goes up as well as down, it is only just above normal and the nodes and seminal vesicles all look clear, the chance of it being in his bones is almost zero.

They would only do a bone scan if PCa is diagnosed and that would be after a biopsy.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 20:02

Hi Lola,

Some reasons not to worry.

1. High PSA is caused by many things that are not cancer - PCa.
2. The fact that Paco's PSA has remained steady suggests that it is not cancer.
3. The biopsies have not found any cancer, so highly unlikely that there is any.
4. Many men over 50 have PCa but in most it will not spread.
5. Even if PCa is detected it is quite common for it to be monitored and not treated. This is because the risk of spread is low and treatment has risks.
6. Worry only spoils today and does nothing for tomorrow.

Reading my profile may or may not help but will give you a bit more insight.

Best wishes,

Adrian

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 20:37

Wow AfJ - brilliant to see you checking in and very pleased to see you are still below that magic line of 'undetectable'. I hope all is well?

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 22:42

Hi Lynn, Good to see that you are still helping people with advice. I came on line as I had a message from Richard Blain who had his op before me and is also still free from PCa.

We are two of many who have had this disease and survived, so LOLA even if Paco does have it, life still goes on. I would even argue that diagnosis actually made me appreciate life more and enjoy it to the full.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!!

User
Posted 21 Feb 2017 at 15:25

Hi there,

Paco and I are are drivig to Madrid right now. Tomorrow he is seeing the new uro. He will have a look at Paco's background and consequently will do him a targeted biopsy since, as I've repeated to you tiredness, according to his MRI there is st highly suspicious to be PCa.

He had previously made a reservation for lunch at a nice restaurant by the highway. It doesn't seem he is anxious or scary. Otherwise, he deserves the Oscar to best actor.
I am, but this break had been a short of therapy for me, or, is it that I am trying to escape blindfolded?

I needed to share it with you, maybe because of the wine or because of my Latin blood, or just because you, friends, are all my support now. You are the shoulders I lean on.

Tomorrow morning.... I'd rather not think.

We are meeting my daughter and grandchildren and.... We will see tomorrow, and later on.
Of course, all I went is him to be OK, but in case he is not, I need to be strong enough to help him.

I've left behind my English classes these days and ,maybe, for good. So I big your pardon for H mistakes and tid dammed corrector (besides the car moving)

User
Posted 21 Feb 2017 at 15:47

Hey Lola, good to hear that you are both in good spirits today. Enjoy time with your family and good luck for tomorrow.
Make sure you have your questions for the Uro written down so you don't forget anything. Let us know how you get on

User
Posted 21 Feb 2017 at 17:17

Hope it all goes well and that you enjoy the meal and the time with daughters and grandchildren. That's what life's all about!

Take care.

Eleanor

x

User
Posted 21 Feb 2017 at 18:35

Good luck Lola and Paco, enjoy your family time.

As for your English. I could converse with you if all I had to say was cerveza and Hola! so well done you

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 22:40

Hi , friends.
Just want to tell you that we had our appointment with second uro. Nothing new. Same opinion as the previous uro and as you, those who commented on my subject.

Paco will have biopsy on 7th March, two weeks from now.

I asked the uro what about suspicious PCa having broken the capsule or not. He said it was putting pressure on the capsule, might be a bit out of it. He said not sure, the biobsy and posterior scanning would say something more. (He was reading the MRI we handed on to him, and saw the PI RADS 5) and the report, etc.)

So, no news.

I am exhausted. I need deeply breath and sleep, dogs day in Madrid trying to get all the applications required and signed by doctors, some bitchy receptionist at hospitals, traffic, etc.

Again awaiting on this journey we have just started.

Scary, worried, more calmed down now , maybe because of the tiredness itself.

Thanks to all for being there.
Love,

Lola

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 08:58

Perhaps the second confirmation will have eased your mind a little Lola.

You know that a different doctor has confirmed the first one's opinion.

Try and get some sleep or at least some rest

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 09:08

Yes, it has, but honestly, since Paco's PI RADS is 5, nothing better was expected to be said. He is very likely to have PCa, we have to face that.
Driving back home.
Not only scared , sad an down too.

Thanks for ever saying something to me.

Live,
Lola

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 18:16

I'm going to assume by spread PC you mean PC that has breached the prostate capsule and thus started to spread to other parts of the body, most usually the bones but also the lymph nodes and other organs. When PC has spread to other parts of the body it has become incurable but it is still treatable. My PC is incurable.

PC that has not spread outside the prostate capsule is potentially curable. There are a number of treatments including prostate removal and radiotherapy.

There are many different types of PC (at least 27) but the most common is adenocarcinoma. Which type of PC we have can only be determined after a positive biopsy (positive meaning cancerous cells have been found).

Generally the lower the PSA, the less likely that it has spread outside of the prostate capsule. However, PC is a real b1tch of a disease in that it doesn't follow any hard and fast rules and can vary from man to man.

So what can we deduce? Your husband's PSA score is low. Two previous biopsy's haven't found any cancerous cells. Therefore, it seems to me that there is a pretty good chance that if he has got PC, and that's the first big if, then it may well not have spread as yet. However, there are no guarantees although if I was you I'd feel justified in being hopeful that your husband could well have a good outcome from any tests and treatments.

I have a maxim I follow, plan for the worst and hope for the best, that way I only ever get nice surprises.

Edited by member 15 Feb 2017 at 18:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 18:57
Surely the Gleason score is more important as to whether it may have spread. My OH had a Gleason of 6 and psa of 3.7 rising to 4.3 in 6 months. He was refused a bone scan as they said with a Gleason of 6 and low psa it won't have spread. Though I have seen on here low psa that has spread but I'm sure the Gleason would be higher. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will tell you.
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 19:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Surely the Gleason score is more important as to whether it may have spread.

Lola's husband doesn't have a Gleason score as yet since he hasn't had a positive biopsy. Therefore, the only data we have to work with at the current time is his PSA history and his negative biopsy history.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 19:43

It turns out my psa was between 4 and 6 for two years at a young age of 45. No one took much notice. Then at 47 my psa hit 15 and within months was 43. I was kind of urged into surgery at 48 but it had already spread to 5 lymph nodes and my bladder neck. But good advice above. Score isn't always a true indicator but rate of change often is

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 20:08

Lola it will be much easier for members to respond if you stick to one or two threads for now - starting a new thread every time you think of something makes it hard for us to keep track (as per sjtb above)

Yes it is possible to have a very low PSA and spread all over the body but this is extremely rare and is usually because the man has a particularly rare type of prostate cancer. In your case, the low PSA coupled with two clear biopsies and clear lymph nodes suggests that it is a small tumour. Your mpMRI results indicate it is a small tumour at the apex of the gland with clear seminal vesicles. With everything that you already know, it is extremely unlikely that they are going to find it running rampant around your husband's body.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 21:54

You're right, Lyn. Sorry for I'm new here and, what is more, I am too anxious to proceed in the right way. I'll try from now on to do my best here.

So let's focus on this conversation now and forget about the other one.

I'm still in shock, I have driven a long way from Madrid and then got to know from the hospital that the biopsy will take more than one month to be done.

I'm trying to calm down so as not to to be a burden to my well balanced hub. By the way, his name is Paco. I'll refer to him as "Paco", ok? That's closer, and this site is becoming really close to me now.

Thanks to all theese nice people here.

Lola

User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 09:57

There are times in our lives Lola when we all need a prop (something that holds something else up. )

We all do better with a little help, especially when we are frightened. You have your own problems and Paco's are adding to them so I do understand that you are finding life difficult at the moment.

Of course you're in shock and you are also tired from a long and stressful journey but you do need to allow yourself time to slow down and trying not to panic every time a new thought pops in to your head.

Paco's biopsy wait time is not unusual so try not to fret about the length of time. You both need your strength for the coming months so in the meantime, try (hard as that is going to be) to relax and enjoy life together.

If you need to talk, then you know where we are

User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 10:49

My Hub's PSA hasn't been ever increasing but coming up and down. Actually nowadays it is lower than many other times during the last ten years. That is why the uro did not expect something would be found out from mpMRI. But it seems to be there.
Thanks for your replies, you all are really supporting me.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 19:39

Changing our mind.

We have decided that Paco''d better had an imaging-guided biopsy.

This uro said it wouldn't be so. Because of that we are seeing another uro on the next Wednesday. He is said to be good at doing it.

What is your opinion about it?

Lola.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 20:46

I can't help. I don't understand what the difference is between an:

mpMRI followed by a biopsy

and

imaging-guided biopsy.

Are they not one and the same?

I think you are going to have to refer this to your urologist.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 21:49

The system seems to be different in Spain Lola. Just make sure that in your panic you are not just doing whatever the most recent doctor offers or tries to sell to you.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 23:30

HI,Lyn, CoIU and all there:

I'm afraid I've driven the two of you you to a big missunderstanding, both because of my bad English on medical words and my anxiety as well.

I quite understand what you say, your fear for my panic and the doctors trying to sell us the most recent things, but fortunately tha's not the case.

You may find it somehow a bit strange. I'll try to explain it at the same time I apologyce for my English.

Paco's PSA was 4.2. Two negative biopsies within 12 years. PSA up and down, lately lower than before. He had had prostate infection twice. Last time, two years ago, during summer vacation on south. He took antibiotics and infection stoped, but, since he has one only kidney, the emergency doctor did an ultrasonography of his abdomen to be certain everything was ok. And it was.

Paco continued to test his PSA: coming down and up but never increasing gradually. At present it's 4.2 as said above.Lower than before. His uro in La Coruña was not sure about giving him a third biopsy, Then suddenly, we learned from a relative suffering PC that there exists the mpMRI. I know it's used for guided biopsies. We went to his relatives's doctor and he said, after seeing Paco's PSA history:

"Well, I don't think you have anything serious but it if you want to have this test done, ok"

The test was done with no biopsy, but to our astonishment the PIRADS 5, pointed to a PC. Then back to the uro and decided to carry on with the biopsy. He said that time:

I'll do the biopsy, but not a guided one as we can see where it is located and it's easy to get there and take the samples.

In adition we had to wait unit March 23th.

We wanted a guided biopsy, so we talked to another uro and he said he would see him and do the guided biopsy.

We are going to Madrid again on the next tuesday.

I'm not sure if it it is more clear now.

The doctor will do mpMRI biopsy.

Lyn, I agree with you that we have to be aware of doctors trying to sell recent thing, but this is not the point. We are not paying for it. Well, actually we pay monthly a part of the required amount (the other part is payed by the company Paco used to work for), but doctors don't get much money from it as health insurances gives them less money than they get privately.

Sorry for my long post, but I wanted you to know about all this stuff, because you are my support.

My two sons live here in Coruña, but I don't want to bring them worries. My daughter lives in Madrid. She doesn't like to talk about it, she looks after his dad.

Good night.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 07:07

Hi there:

I'm not sure if I make it more clear all the stuff about Paco's diagnose history.

Tha fact now is that, as said above, we are going back to Madrid for an appointment with the new uro on the next wendsday.

A few days ago we were so happy, looking forward to seeing our garden blooming in Springtime. Now, everything is secondary.

To be honest, I'm feeling not so extremely anxious now, maybe because of your support or because I start to get used to this situation, but I am so scared. The moment we'll seat at the doctor's table my heart will be beating as if there is a horse running inside me.

Life has changed. Now I'm saddly looking at a black forecast. Let's admit Paco has cancer (I've read hundreds of posts here and I've found out that so many of you are doing well), but I come into panic at wondering if it has gone out of the prostate as the resonance said there was a chance of minimum afectation out. Not his lymph nodes or seminal vesicles, but I can't help focusing on that possibility.An, what about his bones?

Don't leave me alone, please. You are my support. Got nobody to talk about it with. I'm checking my computer and my mobile all the time in order to see what you are talking about. Kinda "compulsoty disorder".

I hope it will be possible for me to give some help to others in future as now others are giving to me.

Best wishes to all.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 07:14

Lola,

I hope things go well for you both on Wednesday.

David

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 08:24

Hey Lola, it certainly is a scary time. We have just been through diagnosis and a radical prostatectomy with still some uncertainty about final outcomes but we are hopeful, or rather I am. My husband who also suffers from anxiety is still finding it hard. We my have turned a corner yesterday though as he managed to leave the house for the first time.
Together you will get through this as you have every other trouble in your lives so far.
One day at a time.
Julie

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 09:14
July, as we say in Spain, "we seem to be traveling in the same train". Only one different think: I suffer of anxiety, my husband is quite a balanced one. So I must control myself to not drive him crazy.

Hope our hubbies do well and we can come back to our previous happiness.

I wish all the best for you. If you ever need to chat, just tell me.

Hug.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 04:32

Terrible nightmare. I've just woken up (it's 05:25) and couldn't stay in bed any longer. I dreamed that a nurse let me know that Paco's prognosis was awful. I felt as I wasn't able to endure it.

Actually, life itself is a nightmare now.

Sorry, I needed to share it with you.

Lola.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 07:20

Lola, I do understand your fears and frustrations but you are going to make yourself very ill if you continue like this, and then you'll be no help to Paco as he will end up worrying about you.

We can (and are) supportive and if just being here helps you then - great.

There is only so much we can do though. We won't give up on the listening ear and shoulder to lean on but I think you need ore help than we can give you.

Have you been to speak to your Doctor and asked for help?

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 08:10

Thanks for your advice and for caring me.

Actually my fears are hidden inside, so, I hope, at least at the present moment, I'm not harming Paco, but I can't help thinking of this subject all day long.

Apart from my logical worries, I'm ok. I'm healthy and it is good that I've been under pshychiatric treatment for long time. I'm afraid you may now assume that I'm a bit paranoid, and yes, I used to be, but right now, believe me when I say that this is not the point. Only do I need to share my feelings so as to get some relief, some information, etc, and also because I've got nobody to talk to, and what is more, I don't want to badly involve my children for the moment.

Despite my experience in learning how to control and manage my emotions, I'm scared, very scared.

You know, it is surprising that I'm getting help from a British Forum. After having searched for a Spanish forum where I could get support and information, I googled in English and I luckily happened to come along this site. The support for PC websites in Spanish are not very helpful to me. I wonder why I only could find forums where instead of talking frankly and helpfully they only chatted about hope in God and all that stuff that, of course, I respect, but doesn't help me. Most of the members are from Latin América, therefore their points of view are pretty different.

Visiting the uro next wendsday in Madrid. I'm happy that my daughter and my in laws live there. In case I fail doing things the right way, they are resolute and can think clearly about the issue and help me manage the situation.

Thanks again from this little house in the middle of the country on northwest Spain.

All of you are amazing. I hope I can help as well when I feel better.

Lola.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 08:02

Hi there.

May I ask a question?

My husband Paco, as I said before, had a magnetic resonance. They said there is a lesion in his prostate. Highly likely to be a malignant tummor. There is a possibility of minimum afectation out his prostate. Nodes, seminal channels and nerves clear. Last PSA 4'2. (Sorry that I don't know the initials in Emglish yet. If I try to use them it might be consfusing or missleading)

My questions is, in case there was any affectation on bones, had it would be seen? I'm baddly scared.

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice monday.

Lola.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 08:33

Lola,

I'm not an expert but I don't think an MRI will identify potential problems with metastases in bones. In the UK a nuclear medicine bone scan is used to identify potential metastases in the bones.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 09:30

No Lola, spread to the bones would not show on the scan. But on the basis that he has had two negative biopsies, his PSA goes up as well as down, it is only just above normal and the nodes and seminal vesicles all look clear, the chance of it being in his bones is almost zero.

They would only do a bone scan if PCa is diagnosed and that would be after a biopsy.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 09:37

Thanks, Lyn.

It's comfoting that you are always there to give some hel.

I really appreciate it.

Ever thankfull to you.
Lola.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 20:02

Hi Lola,

Some reasons not to worry.

1. High PSA is caused by many things that are not cancer - PCa.
2. The fact that Paco's PSA has remained steady suggests that it is not cancer.
3. The biopsies have not found any cancer, so highly unlikely that there is any.
4. Many men over 50 have PCa but in most it will not spread.
5. Even if PCa is detected it is quite common for it to be monitored and not treated. This is because the risk of spread is low and treatment has risks.
6. Worry only spoils today and does nothing for tomorrow.

Reading my profile may or may not help but will give you a bit more insight.

Best wishes,

Adrian

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 20:07

You are so nice!

Your posting makes me feel better, although I'm still afraid of cancer existing because of his MR.
The PI RADS is 5.

Thanks a lot for your support!

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 20:37

Wow AfJ - brilliant to see you checking in and very pleased to see you are still below that magic line of 'undetectable'. I hope all is well?

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 22:42

Hi Lynn, Good to see that you are still helping people with advice. I came on line as I had a message from Richard Blain who had his op before me and is also still free from PCa.

We are two of many who have had this disease and survived, so LOLA even if Paco does have it, life still goes on. I would even argue that diagnosis actually made me appreciate life more and enjoy it to the full.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!!

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 22:55
You are right when you say that Lyn is caring and advising to all of us all the time. It's good to meet people concerned about this bad subject and, despite their past suffering, get the best of their experience to help others.

I was amazed a few days ago when, searching for information and sympathy, I came across this peaceful and helping site.

Thanks to all of you for being here.

I hope your recovery gets on well. Let us know.

Best wishes.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2017 at 15:25

Hi there,

Paco and I are are drivig to Madrid right now. Tomorrow he is seeing the new uro. He will have a look at Paco's background and consequently will do him a targeted biopsy since, as I've repeated to you tiredness, according to his MRI there is st highly suspicious to be PCa.

He had previously made a reservation for lunch at a nice restaurant by the highway. It doesn't seem he is anxious or scary. Otherwise, he deserves the Oscar to best actor.
I am, but this break had been a short of therapy for me, or, is it that I am trying to escape blindfolded?

I needed to share it with you, maybe because of the wine or because of my Latin blood, or just because you, friends, are all my support now. You are the shoulders I lean on.

Tomorrow morning.... I'd rather not think.

We are meeting my daughter and grandchildren and.... We will see tomorrow, and later on.
Of course, all I went is him to be OK, but in case he is not, I need to be strong enough to help him.

I've left behind my English classes these days and ,maybe, for good. So I big your pardon for H mistakes and tid dammed corrector (besides the car moving)

User
Posted 21 Feb 2017 at 15:47

Hey Lola, good to hear that you are both in good spirits today. Enjoy time with your family and good luck for tomorrow.
Make sure you have your questions for the Uro written down so you don't forget anything. Let us know how you get on

User
Posted 21 Feb 2017 at 17:17

Hope it all goes well and that you enjoy the meal and the time with daughters and grandchildren. That's what life's all about!

Take care.

Eleanor

x

User
Posted 21 Feb 2017 at 18:35

Good luck Lola and Paco, enjoy your family time.

As for your English. I could converse with you if all I had to say was cerveza and Hola! so well done you

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 22:40

Hi , friends.
Just want to tell you that we had our appointment with second uro. Nothing new. Same opinion as the previous uro and as you, those who commented on my subject.

Paco will have biopsy on 7th March, two weeks from now.

I asked the uro what about suspicious PCa having broken the capsule or not. He said it was putting pressure on the capsule, might be a bit out of it. He said not sure, the biobsy and posterior scanning would say something more. (He was reading the MRI we handed on to him, and saw the PI RADS 5) and the report, etc.)

So, no news.

I am exhausted. I need deeply breath and sleep, dogs day in Madrid trying to get all the applications required and signed by doctors, some bitchy receptionist at hospitals, traffic, etc.

Again awaiting on this journey we have just started.

Scary, worried, more calmed down now , maybe because of the tiredness itself.

Thanks to all for being there.
Love,

Lola

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 08:58

Perhaps the second confirmation will have eased your mind a little Lola.

You know that a different doctor has confirmed the first one's opinion.

Try and get some sleep or at least some rest

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 09:08

Yes, it has, but honestly, since Paco's PI RADS is 5, nothing better was expected to be said. He is very likely to have PCa, we have to face that.
Driving back home.
Not only scared , sad an down too.

Thanks for ever saying something to me.

Live,
Lola

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 06:45

It's frustrating that in adition to the anxiety caused by having or supposing you or your loved one to have PCa, you also have to keep in panic whilst awating for biopsies, reports, etc.

My hub biopsy will be on March the 7th.

Back home again for a while.
At the time people are looking forward to spring blooming, we are looking at our garden but focusing on fear.

It's not that I am complaining "why him"? Or, "why him twice? His left kidney was removed thirty years ago due to a KCa. But I can't help feeling this way.

Have all of you a nice weekend.

Lola.