I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Royal marsden recipe book

User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 18:34
Does anyone have any thoughts on the recipe book from the Marsden? I checked Amazon but one reviewer was quite negative about it and stated that the author didn't follow the dietary. Recommendations specifically omitting dairy, sugar, red meat etc I'm guessing that the person was advocating the Jane Plant diet but my husband would definitely not accept that drastic change in lifestyle.

However I would like to find some recipes especially supporting him through treatment and sustaining him. He has quite a poor appetite so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 20:30

Hi Judith,

We had the Royal Marsden book at one time, but there weren't too many recipes we liked, and I think it has gone to the charity shop.

From memory it wasn't a prostate cancer specific book, merely various healthy eating recipes.

I guess what you choose to eat is a matter of personal preference and logic.

I note your OH has had RP and has been on HT in the past, and you are now concerned about rising PSA around 2.5?

The foods that are specifically linked to doing some good in combatting PCa are, all the brassicas particularly broccoli, turmeric especially if it has been cooked in oil, green tea and pomegranate.  Onions, garlic, tomatoes and chili also seem to do us some good.

So far as the Jane Plant diet is concerned, the dairy and meat free approach has a logic to it if you are on hormone therapy.  There is not a lot of point putting yourself through the anguish of Zoladex or Prostrap if you are going to tuck into a juicy steak oozing testosterone.

You will note that some of the longest serving members of this website like George H, are also keen adherents of the Jane Plant diet, of course it may be a coincidence.  I was diagnosed Gleason 9 ten years ago and haven't drunk milk since, once you get used to Green tea it is quite refreshing.

A sensible half way house is to have broccoli or cauliflower at least twice a week, plenty of curries with lots of garlic, chili and turmeric, salads a couple of times a week, fish twice a week, 5 portions of veg per day.  Once you have got that lot down your throat there isn't much room for pork pies and cream cakes!

Here is my recipe which provides two big portions of goodness:

Skin and then chop up a whole bulb of garlic, and gently fry in a large pan with two chopped onions in 2 tablespoons of oil.

After 5 minutes when the onions are translucent but before they brown, add 2 or 3 chopped stalks of celery, 2 chopped red or green peppers, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes, fry gently for a further 5 minutes.

Add 1 tin of chopped tomatoes and wash out the tin with water, chucking about half a tin of water into the mix, bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on the pan for about an hour, then turn off the heat and leave the mix cool.

20 minutes before you are ready for it, add a drained can of lentils, red kidney beans or similar, and put the pan back on the heat to warm through.

If I know I am going to use lentils I add a teaspoon of cumin at the frying stage and call it dhal, alternatively if I am using kidney beans I chuck in a teaspoon of smoked paprika and call it vegetarian chilli.

It may not cure cancer, but all that garlic and chili certainly keeps the moths away, I haven't had a cold this winter.

:)

Dave    

Edited by member 07 Mar 2017 at 23:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 20:44

I don't know anything about the Marsden diet book blueytrue but my husband is a bit of a picky eater. He denies it of course but trying to get veg down him, other than a minuscule bit of broccoli or peas is an effort.

I do find though that he readily eats red grapes daily, I add tomatoes to his lunchtime plate and add tomato puree to anything I can get away with, especially spag bol. Also turmeric when I can, although he also takes a turmeric capsule.

Difficult if he has a poor appetite. Perhaps ask the doctor for Ensure drinks to tide him over the rough patches. If he's not eating much his nutrition will need a boost and Ensure will do that. Comes in different flavours

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 20:30

Hi Judith,

We had the Royal Marsden book at one time, but there weren't too many recipes we liked, and I think it has gone to the charity shop.

From memory it wasn't a prostate cancer specific book, merely various healthy eating recipes.

I guess what you choose to eat is a matter of personal preference and logic.

I note your OH has had RP and has been on HT in the past, and you are now concerned about rising PSA around 2.5?

The foods that are specifically linked to doing some good in combatting PCa are, all the brassicas particularly broccoli, turmeric especially if it has been cooked in oil, green tea and pomegranate.  Onions, garlic, tomatoes and chili also seem to do us some good.

So far as the Jane Plant diet is concerned, the dairy and meat free approach has a logic to it if you are on hormone therapy.  There is not a lot of point putting yourself through the anguish of Zoladex or Prostrap if you are going to tuck into a juicy steak oozing testosterone.

You will note that some of the longest serving members of this website like George H, are also keen adherents of the Jane Plant diet, of course it may be a coincidence.  I was diagnosed Gleason 9 ten years ago and haven't drunk milk since, once you get used to Green tea it is quite refreshing.

A sensible half way house is to have broccoli or cauliflower at least twice a week, plenty of curries with lots of garlic, chili and turmeric, salads a couple of times a week, fish twice a week, 5 portions of veg per day.  Once you have got that lot down your throat there isn't much room for pork pies and cream cakes!

Here is my recipe which provides two big portions of goodness:

Skin and then chop up a whole bulb of garlic, and gently fry in a large pan with two chopped onions in 2 tablespoons of oil.

After 5 minutes when the onions are translucent but before they brown, add 2 or 3 chopped stalks of celery, 2 chopped red or green peppers, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes, fry gently for a further 5 minutes.

Add 1 tin of chopped tomatoes and wash out the tin with water, chucking about half a tin of water into the mix, bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on the pan for about an hour, then turn off the heat and leave the mix cool.

20 minutes before you are ready for it, add a drained can of lentils, red kidney beans or similar, and put the pan back on the heat to warm through.

If I know I am going to use lentils I add a teaspoon of cumin at the frying stage and call it dhal, alternatively if I am using kidney beans I chuck in a teaspoon of smoked paprika and call it vegetarian chilli.

It may not cure cancer, but all that garlic and chili certainly keeps the moths away, I haven't had a cold this winter.

:)

Dave    

Edited by member 07 Mar 2017 at 23:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 20:44

I don't know anything about the Marsden diet book blueytrue but my husband is a bit of a picky eater. He denies it of course but trying to get veg down him, other than a minuscule bit of broccoli or peas is an effort.

I do find though that he readily eats red grapes daily, I add tomatoes to his lunchtime plate and add tomato puree to anything I can get away with, especially spag bol. Also turmeric when I can, although he also takes a turmeric capsule.

Difficult if he has a poor appetite. Perhaps ask the doctor for Ensure drinks to tide him over the rough patches. If he's not eating much his nutrition will need a boost and Ensure will do that. Comes in different flavours

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 21:21

I take far more note of Marsden than JP. I've read that book, fine to me. If diet helps then my balanced diet which includes read meat and dairy has served me well for 12 years.

Ray

User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 22:04

We bought the prostate care cookbook from Amazon, it was devised by the Prostate Cancer Research Charity and it is broadly supportive of Jane Plant but not as restrictive.

I am a fairly poor cook and I find it easy to follow, with good selection of recipes

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 08:25

Thanks for all your helpful comments and recipes! I'm a very keen cook and we basically follow a Mediterranean diet with lots of veggies, oily fish etc. But definitely my husband is not a green tea kind of person, me yes but sadly he's not too keen. I buy organic meat thus hopefully avoiding the hormones added and also organic milk and veggies, it's more a plan to looker the recipes for when he's on chemotherapy which is on the cards after the conversation with the oncologist last week.

Thank you again.
I'll head for the Amazon website, great to have your support