Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Want to get fit again - fitness

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 08:00

Hi everyone,

My name is Paul, I am 64 next week 16th March and was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer on 14th July last year, 2016. After further test it was found that the Cancer had spread to a lymph node in my groin. Daily I take Dutasteride and Tamsulosin. Plus, every three months I have a Prostap 3 injection.

Saying this, my weight, waistline and man boobs have grown in size, considerably. Plus, labido has dropped off the scale. As I know that these are common symptems with nearly eveyone that has been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer.

At the age of 50 I started going to the gym on a regular basis. I have always been sport minded and played regular football plus tennis, swimming up to my middle 30's. I have never had a problem with my weight. Eat anything and never gain a pound. I suppose I was very lucky? I stopped using the gym about 4 years ago. Mainly because of my change of job. Did not have time and felt totally shattered. 12 hour permanent nights I worked for 3 years. Not good!

I love to walk and do when and wherever I can. Cant' run anymore. Have not been able to for 25 years. Love to swim.

I want to start going to a gym again. Now I am retired and have more time. I understand that if by going back to the gym my testosterone levels quite possibly will increase. Even though I am trying to moderate my diet to help myself and reduce my testosterone levels by my medication.

Has anyone any advice please on exercises, fitness plans that I could get involved with to get my fitness levels up without increasing my testosterone. I am sure that there other men out there that have had very similar goals. 

I just want to be able to combat what is inside me, but without antagonising it. To give me and my wife of 45 years some quality of life.

In general my health is good and in myself I am being 100% positive. I have some low moments but can overcome this.

I am very lucky in having a lovely family. Very supportive.

Thank you in advance.

Very best wishes to you all. Paul

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 09:25

Hi Paul,
You have misunderstood the situation I think. Going to the gym will not increase your testosterone and there is absolutely no reason not to do whatever exercise you wish. My husband carried on playing rugby until he got too old, he cycles and still goes to the gym every day. Others here also go to the gym regularly, cycle, run marathons or whatever.

If you haven't done any exercise for a while you should probably check with your GP or the gym staff before you get going. Swimming is also a good option.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 12:07

Many thanks Lyn,

I went to a gym yesterday with my wife and we both really enjoyed ourselves. Even though it was only a gentle workout we had not realised how much we had missed it. That is what prompted me to write. I feel so much better now. Thank you for your reply.

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Paul

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 13:06

Just to confirm what Lyn has said.

I'm on Zoladex. I go to the gym 3 times a week. My latest testosterone reading was <0.2.

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 16:00

I have read that exercise can increase the testosterone but only for a short while. All the other research certainly seems to advocate exercise as a positive thing.

I go to the gym on a regular basis

Bri