I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Thats The Ten In!

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 14:46

Finally, I completed the 10th cycle of Docetaxel last Friday. I arrived early as sailed through the traffic and had a coffee in the excellent Maggie centre in Newcastle before it started. One of the ladies there said the support group for breast cancer who get the same chemotherapy drug, Docetaxel called it the "Devil's Piss" Not heard that one before but can completely relate to it.

It has been a long hard road since last August, and I feel quite envious of the people on here who have not really been affected that much with Docetaxel. As a recap, my prostate cancer had spread to my lungs.  I have had three spells in hospital during this time and suffered

1. Complete hair loss

2. Absolute exhaustion lasting 10 days or more after the chemo

3. Oral thrush resulting in every food and drink taken tasting absolutely foul. The effects got better after about two weeks after each chemo

4. Both tear ducts completely blocked

5. Finger and Toe nails became infected delaying the last two cycles by 10 days

On the upside, I have become pain free since starting the chemo with no pain in my hip area which was troublesome. Disappointingly I have maintained a PSA number of mid 20's throughout but my oncologist assured me that this is not an indicator of anything bad.

Had scans yesterday and now await the verdict at the end of the month. Stress is not a big enough word! The McMillan team have been fantastic and have organised an occupational therapist to come to my home to give me breathing excercises which will help. I thought this would be better than resorting to anti depressants.

I suppose it is now "Kay Sara Sara" and nothing more I can do to effect the situation. I will let you know the outcome after my appointment.

Best regards

Norman

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 16:10

Wish you well Norman and fingers and toes crossed for good scan results

Bri

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 19:37

Norman,

Sorry to be be pedantic. But your accent is lousy. Try Que, pronounced Kay, Sera, Sera - whatever will be, will be - as the song says. Remember Doris Day? Looks as though you are in my boat . PSA readings not much use, scans the guiding light. Hope yours prove to be ok.

AC in Leics.

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 21:42

Well done on getting to the end of the 10 sessions Norman - sounds like a real ordeal. All bits crossed for the results, and hoping that you start to feel the benefits from all the suffering very soon!

Cheers

Eleanor